Closer

Heads22

There is really no one out there who is the guy right now. I guess you could say Webb, but if you do that, it takes away one of your most versatile swing men. Instead of blowing games in the 9th, we'll blow them in the 6th and 7th. We need to get healthy, and I am not convinced that even Lindstrom is. I haven't seen him hit 95 all year.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
The 64K dollar question for sure. I am guessing Nate Jones but no one has done their job.

I'm sure going into Spring Training Hahn was counting on Jones to be the closer. Let's hope he comes back soon.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

I'm not too worried with the bullpen as I believe that guys like Lindstrom, Belllisario and Downs will settle down.

What is encouraging is that the young guys like Petricka, Cleto and Webb seem to be pitching well and it will be a tough choice for Robin to make when Jones comes back. I think we'll see Lindstrom remain as closer until Jones comes back and if there is no improvement by then, then Robin will look at Jones once he is fully fit again.

As for Veal, I think he is on the way out. I reckon we may see him waived soon and Charlie Leesman, eric Surkamp or David Purcey called up in his place.

QUOTE (glangon @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
I'm not too worried with the bullpen as I believe that guys like Lindstrom, Belllisario and Downs will settle down.

What is encouraging is that the young guys like Petricka, Cleto and Webb seem to be pitching well and it will be a tough choice for Robin to make when Jones comes back. I think we'll see Lindstrom remain as closer until Jones comes back and if there is no improvement by then, then Robin will look at Jones once he is fully fit again.

As for Veal, I think he is on the way out. I reckon we may see him waived soon and Charlie Leesman, eric Surkamp or David Purcey called up in his place.

I don't think Veal is going anywhere yet. He's shown flashes of being pretty good against lefties.

Downs on the other hand...he should be told tomorrow he has tendonitis and hit the DL for a couple weeks.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 13, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
What he said ^. I want Webb to be the closer but I also want him used in the biggest situations which isn't always the 9th inning. When we got to the 9th with the lead today it should have been Webb though.

You can't have it both ways. If you go by the theory that you save the best reliever for the "high leverage" situations whenever it occurs, you need to save Webb for the next day when this may occur. Just like most mangers save the closer now. So you don't use Webb in the "low leverage" situation of a clean 9th inning. In this "easier" clean inning you go to the 2nd or 3rd best reliever which is probably Linstrom right now, so this is what you get.

You can't over use your best reliever, whenever you want to use him.