First Place White Sox!

Buehrle>Wood

Might as well make this while we can. We sort of in first. Tied with the Tigers but they have the better winning percentage.

Somehow we've already played 4 more games than the Tigers.

Two postponed games plus two more off days.

I'm very pleased with this year so far. I hadn't really watched a rebuilding year since 98 and I was young enough that it didn't matter. I was in Little League so "playing hard" was more important to me.

BUt I've watched more sox games the first 2 weeks than I did all of last year probably. I just couldn't take it, it was not entertaining to me at all.

:cheers

Season sure has been fun so far. I'm "saving up to buy in" at this point(meaning I haven't fully bought in yet, but I'm getting there).

I really think the bullpen will work itself out, Robin just needs define everyones roles. If Nate Jones can return as 2012 or 2nd half 2013 Nate Jones it's really gonna help the pen out. Cleto is really looking like he'll be Coops next success story, and Webb looks like he's the closer of the future. If those 3 guys keep it up and emerge as the 7-8-9th inning guys the pen should be in fairly good shape. If 1 or 2 of the vets (Lindstrom, Belly, Downs, Francisco, Guerra) emerge then they're in even better shape.

The offensive approach thus far has been brilliant. Sox currently have the highest team OBP in the league. I hear a lot of people bring up wRC+ on this board, I'm not exactly sure what it means, but they lead the league in that as well, so there's that.

The only concern I have at this point is Paulino, who I was real high on in the offseason. I just have to remember that, sans ST, this is his first month back in over 2 years. I know ST should be the time to knock the rust off, but there's a lot of rust on that arm. I'd probably give him about 10-15 starts and then go from there.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 03:44 PM)
:cheers

Season sure has been fun so far. I'm "saving up to buy in" at this point(meaning I haven't fully bought in yet, but I'm getting there).

I really think the bullpen will work itself out, Robin just needs define everyones roles. If Nate Jones can return as 2012 or 2nd half 2013 Nate Jones it's really gonna help the pen out. Cleto is really looking like he'll be Coops next success story, and Webb looks like he's the closer of the future. If those 3 guys keep it up and emerge as the 7-8-9th inning guys the pen should be in fairly good shape. If 1 or 2 of the vets (Lindstrom, Belly, Downs, Francisco, Guerra) emerge then they're in even better shape.

The offensive approach thus far has been brilliant. Sox currently have the highest team OBP in the league. I hear a lot of people bring up wRC+ on this board, I'm not exactly sure what it means, but they lead the league in that as well, so there's that.

The only concern I have at this point is Paulino, who I was real high on in the offseason. I just have to remember that, sans ST, this is his first month back in over 2 years. I know ST should be the time to knock the rust off, but there's a lot of rust on that arm. I'd probably give him about 10-15 starts and then go from there.

I'm hoping Paulino is a confidence issue. First couple pitches in the at bat he attacks. But when he gets to 0-2 or 1-2 he has no idea how to get a hitter out anymore. I'm hoping that's something he'll get more comfortable with. Or he never will and we'll need a pitcher.

You know, there's a lot of talent on this club. The veterans are starting to play back to form, and the rookies are developing faster than I thought. There's two or three potential all-stars in there. I think we're a contender right now.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
You know, there's a lot of talent on this club. The veterans are starting to play back to form, and the rookies are developing faster than I thought. There's two or three potential all-stars in there. I think wer're a contender right now.

All we need is something to bring it alllll together.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
If the Sox had another starter I'm pretty certain they could hang with KC. If Detroit regresses who knows. Leyland's a smart guy when it comes to knowing when to walk away . . .

I think they can "hang" with KC right now, but I also don't think KC is going to be all that good in the long run this year. Pitching clearly is the problem so far, but I think we're going to find "another starter" within the rotation, because I doubt both Paulino and Johnson will keep struggling as badly.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 12:30 PM)
I think they can "hang" with KC right now, but I also don't think KC is going to be all that good in the long run this year. Pitching clearly is the problem so far, but I think we're going to find "another starter" within the rotation, because I doubt both Paulino and Johnson will keep struggling as badly.

Johnson bounce backed pretty well albeit in the cold and against a injured Red Sox team.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Should have a 1 game lead but since Ventura is our manager...

Because he yanked pitchers walking people? Or is it because he was initially giving Cleto a shot at the closer position? I read on this very board, Lindstrom has no business closing.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:25 AM)
You know, there's a lot of talent on this club. The veterans are starting to play back to form, and the rookies are developing faster than I thought. There's two or three potential all-stars in there. I think we're a contender right now.

Rachel Phelps would never allow that.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
Should have a 1 game lead but since Ventura is our manager...

Yeah I can't see any reason at all to blame last night on Ventura. What would you have done differently? Let Cleto or Veal blow the game for the sake of saving more pitchers for extra innings?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:19 AM)
Yeah I can't see any reason at all to blame last night on Ventura. What would you have done differently? Let Cleto or Veal blow the game for the sake of saving more pitchers for extra innings?

For MAYBE extra innings. The game wasn't even tied at that point.