Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 18, 2014 -> 12:03 PM)
They've known for quite some time he would have to take a DL stint for the ankle. You don't have to buy anything but it's the truth. Not everyone pays attention to the truth.

Continue to LOL, how old are you 12? You sound like a 9/11 truther bro, no offense. I won't post anymore because it's obvious you aren't listening to reason. PRIMA FACIE what evidence do you see for your grand DL plan? On the surface, I see nothing, in fact what I see is bungled management by Robin in letting a player beg his way into the lineup and then aggravated the ankle.

As I said, tendionus is from over-use. You think playing in every damn game helped? You are seriously off the deep end here they were planning a DL trip for a guy that continued to play every day with an injury that only gets better with rest? Well if that is true then everyone involved should be fired on the spot for incompetence.

If what you are saying is true then why the f*** was he not on DL for the interleague series'? Your theory makes zero sense man, so now they get to lose Jose against much tougher competition so he could play ineffectively against worse teams?

Come on, think.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
Continue to LOL, how old are you 12? You sound like a 9/11 truther bro, no offense. I won't post anymore because it's obvious you aren't listening to reason. PRIMA FACIE what evidence do you see for your grand DL plan? On the surface, I see nothing, in fact what I see is bungled management by Robin in letting a player beg his way into the lineup and then aggravated the ankle.

As I said, tendionus is from over-use. You think playing in every damn game helped? You are seriously off the deep end here they were planning a DL trip for a guy that continued to play every day with an injury that only gets better with rest? Well if that is true then everyone involved should be fired on the spot for incompetence.

If what you are saying is true then why the f*** was he not on DL for the interleague series'? Your theory makes zero sense man, so now they get to lose Jose against much tougher competition so he could play ineffectively against worse teams?

Come on, think.

It's not my opinion or a theory kid. If you don't want my info then don't take it. I don't argue about the little insider access I get.

Here's my take on what happened. Just speculation of course.

The Sox knew that at some point they were going to have to DL Abreu to rest his ankle but didn't want to have him out of the lineup as long as Eaton was still out (not to mention Sale). The Sox medical staff assured them that playing on it would not cause any serious structural damage just pain and discomfort. Abreu told the Sox he could play through the pain, so Sox figured they'd wait til Sunday when Eaton was due back to DL Abreu.

Abreu and Sox underestimated the negative effect the pain would have on his performance resulting in the terribly painful ABs (both for Abreu and for us to watch), yesterday.

So in 20/20 hindsight it would have been better to DL him after Wednesday's game, but the reasoning behind waiting is somewhat understandable.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ May 18, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
So in 20/20 hindsight it would have been better to DL him after Wednesday's game, but the reasoning behind waiting is somewhat understandable.

Even if they didn't DL him after Wednesday's game, sit him out on Friday, rest him for a day or maybe even two and see if it helps. A couple days off helped during spring training. If it continues to be an issue then you can DL him retroactive to the last game he played and already have started him on a healing process, costing the team fewer games without him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Even if they didn't DL him after Wednesday's game, sit him out on Friday, rest him for a day or maybe even two and see if it helps. A couple days off helped during spring training. If it continues to be an issue then you can DL him retroactive to the last game he played and already have started him on a healing process, costing the team fewer games without him.

I agree with this.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 18, 2014 -> 01:10 PM)
Every time we hear of a player going for tests it usually the player's condition ends up worse that they thought initially. If this were in October he would have plenty of time to heal. I have the feeling that 15 days is not enough . also thinking that if he comes back too quickly his problem will reoccur.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ May 18, 2014 -> 07:21 PM)
Every time we hear of a player going for tests it usually the player's condition ends up worse that they thought initially. If this were in October he would have plenty of time to heal. I have the feeling that 15 days is not enough . also thinking that if he comes back too quickly his problem will reoccur.

He's getting an MRI tomorrow it sounds like, so hopefully everything is ok. If they have to do an MRI to rule out a more severe diagnosis, then it makes it even more puzzling they let him play for the last week.

Edited by fathom

Rock, can you explain the thought process behind "planned" DL trip?

It would make perfect sense if they anticipated it but were keeping him out there in hopes that it might resolve itself. Simply pre-planning it would have to have some kind of personnel-related reasoning...ie, wanting to wait for Eaton's return or something

QUOTE (Jake @ May 18, 2014 -> 03:05 PM)

It would make perfect sense if they anticipated it but were keeping him out there in hopes that it might resolve itself. Simply pre-planning it would have to have some kind of personnel-related reasoning...ie, wanting to wait for Eaton's return or something

There was no "pre planned" DL trip. The Sox had no handle on the injury at all. Now Jose needs an MRI.

In Rock's world I'm sure they planned the MRI as well, like 2 weeks ago. It's ludicrous.

I posted over a week ago that I heard they thought he would eventually have to go on the DL. That's all I know. It was evident that eventually he would have to take a couple of weeks off.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
There was no "pre planned" DL trip. The Sox had no handle on the injury at all. Now Jose needs an MRI.

In Rock's world I'm sure they planned the MRI as well, like 2 weeks ago. It's ludicrous.

Hahahahaha. My info is now "my world".

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 18, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)

Rock has provided GREAT information to this board over the years. When he states he's heard something, it's true.

If the assumption is that the team is as stupid as you think they are, you should find another team to root for, and you should quit harassing people who are trying to give the rest of us some insight into what is going on behind the scenes. N

Actually, it does make some sense. This tendonopathy is thetype of problem that they will need to manage like a plantar fasciitis. Hewill need 4 to 6 weeks of rest for it to really heal. They can manage well enough during the season but need some rest.

An MRI will do nothing except confirm theinflammation which theyalready know. This tendon is very superficial and can be felt around the ankle.

I'm sure they planned it because they knew he would need to rest eventually. This isn't something that would resolve itself without rest.

• 3 weeks later...

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 2m

Another home run for Jose Abreu. Not like this guy was a secret. Marco Paddy and the White Sox just flat out beat other teams on him.

There are a few guys on this board who continue to say that Marco Paddy didn't bring in Abreu though......