Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 1h

Jose Abreu's 22 HR in 2014 are most by a rookie before All-Star Break since Mark McGwire hit 33 in 1987 (via @eliassports)

Jose Abreu’s 22 HRs through his first 63 games match totals produced by Wally Berger (1930) & Mark McGwire (1986-87) for most in history.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 23, 2014 -> 10:47 PM)
If he stays on this pace and plays in 140 games (has played in 63 of our 77, and likely will receive 7-10 off days), then he'll go 49/133. Has anyone else ever had those exact HR/RBI numbers? I thought Pujols, but he was 49/137.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
Ha!

Hasn't he only had one off day the entire season? I believe when he was slumping and even then he pinch hit. I highly, highly doubt he gets 7-10 off days the rest of the season unless he gets some sort of nagging injury. They will give him days off from playing 1st, but he will still DH. If you assume he plays every day the rest of the season he is on a 52/141 pace (would have been 57/154 without the DL stint). Pretty ridiculous.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
Hasn't he only had one off day the entire season? I believe when he was slumping and even then he pinch hit. I highly, highly doubt he gets 7-10 off days the rest of the season unless he gets some sort of nagging injury. They will give him days off from playing 1st, but he will still DH. If you assume he plays every day the rest of the season he is on a 52/141 pace (would have been 57/154 without the DL stint). Pretty ridiculous.

The days off would be due to ankle injuries or whatever problem he's been having. Plus, RV said he will get a day off this week.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 24, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
The days off would be due to ankle injuries or whatever problem he's been having. Plus, RV said he will get a day off this week.

Last time he said that, Abreu never got the day off, then he went on the DL. (Yes, I realize he was going on the DL either way, but my point remains)

“It’s something that if I have to be there I’ll be there,” Abreu said through the team’s manager of cultural development, Lino Diaz. “But it’s something I’m not wishing to be there. It’s a great thing. It’s just one of those things I don’t particularly wish to be on.”

(About Home Run Derby)

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
I just saw an amusing Abreu vs Rizzo argument in Bleacher Report comments. I'll take .274/22/60 in fewer games over .288/17/44 any day.

Rizzo has been the better player. He is younger. He is much better defensively. He has a wOBA of .400. Anthony Rizzo is turning into a stud. Abreu is awesome too but we are being homers if we suggest that Abreu is better and it's not close. Come on.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)
Rizzo has been the better player. He is younger. He is much better defensively. He has a wOBA of .400. Anthony Rizzo is turning into a stud. Abreu is awesome too but we are being homers if we suggest that Abreu is better and it's not close. Come on.

Agree. Both great players, but I would take Rizzo, too. Much more of a complete player right now. If Jose can work on laying off the breaking pitch low and away, he could really increase his walks and make the Abreu-v.-Rizzo debate much more interesting. But right now, Rizzo gets the nod.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:59 PM)

How many years has Rizzo been in the MLB? I wouldn't say Rizzo is the better player yet. Currently, maybe.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
How many years has Rizzo been in the MLB? I wouldn't say Rizzo is the better player yet. Currently, maybe.

Rizzo looks like a completely different player this year. I get what you are saying but Rizzo will always be LH and always play a better 1B. Abreu will hit for more power. Both really good.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:48 AM)
“It’s something that if I have to be there I’ll be there,” Abreu said through the team’s manager of cultural development, Lino Diaz. “But it’s something I’m not wishing to be there. It’s a great thing. It’s just one of those things I don’t particularly wish to be on.”

(About Home Run Derby)

I just loved his response to the home run derby. no one will ever not know what is on his mind.

Rizzo is turning into a STUD. Like a 6 WAR player given his elite D, solid baserunning and excellent patience and hit tool. That said, I think WAR under rates guys that put up 40+ HR in a year as it frees up other spots in your lineup for guys like Conor Gillaspie where their on base skills get to shine. There is something to be said for getting a lot of your power from only a few positions (so you can priotirze other things like defense or OBP or baserunning) and Jose certainly is a huge precense in the middle the lineup. If you surround him with OBP guys you're gonna see a lot of RBI. Oh, Hahn's done just that with Conor and Eaton. Good job Hahn.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 11:51 PM)
Rizzo is turning into a STUD. Like a 6 WAR player given his elite D, solid baserunning and excellent patience and hit tool. That said, I think WAR under rates guys that put up 40+ HR in a year as it frees up other spots in your lineup for guys like Conor Gillaspie where their on base skills get to shine. There is something to be said for getting a lot of your power from only a few positions (so you can priotirze other things like defense or OBP or baserunning) and Jose certainly is a huge precense in the middle the lineup. If you surround him with OBP guys you're gonna see a lot of RBI. Oh, Hahn's done just that with Conor and Eaton. Good job Hahn.

but... but... I'm constantly told WAR is the ultimate stat to say who is good and who is bad.