Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
That and he hits those line-drive home runs. This thing looks at elevation. That called the 400 footers he hit out in Detroit "Just enough"

lol right? Dead center in detroit, pretty much any homer is "just enough" or "lucky".

That graph is kind of funny though, Jose either hits mammoth bombs or the "just enough"s. there is a nice little gap in between

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently Frank Thomas said he's "disappointed" Jose Abreu didn't choose to participate in the Home Run Derby. I say apparently because I got an ESPN alert saying so, but can't find the original source. Anyway, if true, my reaction is shut up Frank.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)
Apparently Frank Thomas said he's "disappointed" Jose Abreu didn't choose to participate in the Home Run Derby. I say apparently because I got an ESPN alert saying so, but can't find the original source. Anyway, if true, my reaction is shut up Frank.

Frank chose not to participate in a few HR Derbys, and actually came out and complained about being chosen as an all star once and said he would rather have the time off.

STFU, indeed

So somebody asked on facebook who a better hitter is between Puig and Abreu. Pretty close, I'd like to hear your guys thoughts.

Better offensive player - Abreu

Better overall player - Puig

Of course, Abreu is working on half a season's sample size. I think he has the potential to eventually be good enough offensively to cancel out Puig's defensive value.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:27 PM)
Better offensive player - Abreu

Better overall player - Puig

Of course, Abreu is working on half a season's sample size. I think he has the potential to eventually be good enough offensively to cancel out Puig's defensive value.

Basically what I said. The rebut to that was that Puig is doing everything better except hitting for power.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:59 AM)

Didn't he also say before that he didn't want to see Abreu do it, because it could mess up his swing?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 01:48 PM)
Hitting for power is a very large portion of offensive value, especially when you are slugging .630.

Worth noting that Abreu seems to potentially be becoming a better hitter as the season goes on as well (although the injuries and the games he shouldn't have been playing in may have hurt him the first 2 months). There's obviously some sample size/BABIP issues particularly in July, but let's just do batting average month by month:

.270 April

.241 May

.313 June

.360 July

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Worth noting that Abreu seems to potentially be becoming a better hitter as the season goes on as well (although the injuries and the games he shouldn't have been playing in may have hurt him the first 2 months). There's obviously some sample size/BABIP issues particularly in July, but let's just do batting average month by month:

.270 April

.241 May

.313 June

.360 July

Paul Konerko said just the other day that he thought Jose could be a .320/.330 hitter once he got to know the pitchers.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 10:46 PM)
As happy as I am that Abreu chose to not take part in the Home Run Derby, it would have been awesome to watch him hit some bombs.

I think he'll be more likely to do it next year and it'll be really cool to see him vs. cespedes in the final.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 09:46 PM)
As happy as I am that Abreu chose to not take part in the Home Run Derby, it would have been awesome to watch him hit some bombs.

I think he would have killed it.

Totally agree, 3-4 home runs last night advanced?

That said, I'm glad he got some rest and loved watching him interact with Cespedes. That has to be so amazing for those two to look around and see how far they've come.