Jose Abreu general discussion

Feeky Magee

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 12:25 AM)
Seems weird seeing this. He's so good now why mess with his body?

Given his ankle injury, losing some weight can only help with that in the future. And just because he loses weight, doesn't mean he's not getting stronger or quicker. These are professionals.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:02 AM)
Given his ankle injury, losing some weight can only help with that in the future. And just because he loses weight, doesn't mean he's not getting stronger or quicker. These are professionals.

If it's not broke you don't fix it. I hope it does help his foot , his back and overall health in general but he's a baseball player in a long grueling season. Sometimes I think extra weight serves as an insulator to injury or a storage area when your body is run down. I think there's such a thing as too finely tuned.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 07:28 AM)
If it's not broke you don't fix it. I hope it does help his foot , his back and overall health in general but he's a baseball player in a long grueling season. Sometimes I think extra weight serves as an insulator to injury or a storage area when your body is run down. I think there's such a thing as too finely tuned.

It also puts extra stress on the body. Big Frank had nothing but problems with his feet as he got older, and he certainly was a lot bigger late in his career

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 05:31 AM)
It also puts extra stress on the body. Big Frank had nothing but problems with his feet as he got older, and he certainly was a lot bigger late in his career

And there's plenty of big men who handle their weight fine. One cannot say with 100% certainty that how much Frank weighed had anything to do with causing the injury in the 1st place . Maybe he was just predisposed to that kind of injury. There's just way too much we think we know about the human body when there's actually a lot more that we don't know by far. I'm not arguing against physical fitness probably just against the arrogance of medical people in general . Maybe 100 yrs. from now just as 100 yrs. ago we'll be thought of as foolish or primitive in some of the things we believe about the body or some of the medical procedures .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
And there's plenty of big men who handle their weight fine. One cannot say with 100% certainty that how much Frank weighed had anything to do with causing the injury in the 1st place . Maybe he was just predisposed to that kind of injury. There's just way too much we think we know about the human body when there's actually a lot more that we don't know by far. I'm not arguing against physical fitness probably just against the arrogance of medical people in general . Maybe 100 yrs. from now just as 100 yrs. ago we'll be thought of as foolish or primitive in some of the things we believe about the body or some of the medical procedures .

I dont see how it is arrogant. Regardless of anything we have argued, a guy his height weighing 278 would be considered overweight. If he wants to be in better shape, then more power to him.

My weight fluctuates between 225-230 most of the time. When I got down to 210 I was more explosive but had thr same strength as I just lost fat.

Then I got hurt and Thanksgiving happend. The injury was a guy ramming his shoulder into my chest so it would have been hirt at a higher weight as well.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 06:28 AM)
My weight fluctuates between 225-230 most of the time. When I got down to 210 I was more explosive but had thr same strength as I just lost fat.

Then I got hurt and Thanksgiving happend. The injury was a guy ramming his shoulder into my chest so it would have been hirt at a higher weight as well.

Maybe your man boobs at a heavier weight would have protected you more.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Maybe your man boobs at a heavier weight would have protected you more.

Yea, sarcasm aside, for most athletes (non NFL edition) losing weight is only going to help. An extra weight you're carrying around as you approach 30 isn't good weight. Just ask CC Sabathia what it did to his knees.

When I saw him in spring Jose looked a lot like Miguel Cabrera in that NFL guard sorta way. Yea they are incredibly strong but they are also carrying an extra 5-10% body fat and that translates to an extra 10-30lbs. I'd guess that Jose came into came around 18% body fat and he's probably now down to around 12%, you can notice it in his face especially. If he can get down to 8% it should prolong his career at 1st base by a couple years.

Nobody is going to mistake Konerko for Usain Bolt but he has kept any extra weight off and that has undoubtedly helped him extend his career relatively injury free. Jose would do well to follow that.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 04:47 PM)
Yea, sarcasm aside, for most athletes (non NFL edition) losing weight is only going to help. An extra weight you're carrying around as you approach 30 isn't good weight. Just ask CC Sabathia what it did to his knees.

When I saw him in spring Jose looked a lot like Miguel Cabrera in that NFL guard sorta way. Yea they are incredibly strong but they are also carrying an extra 5-10% body fat and that translates to an extra 10-30lbs. I'd guess that Jose came into came around 18% body fat and he's probably now down to around 12%, you can notice it in his face especially. If he can get down to 8% it should prolong his career at 1st base by a couple years.

Nobody is going to mistake Konerko for Usain Bolt but he has kept any extra weight off and that has undoubtedly helped him extend his career relatively injury free. Jose would do well to follow that.

No way he's at 12 percent body fat.

One thing to keep in mind is that everyone is genetically predisposed to certain things...some people may function better lean and mean whereas another person May function better with a little meat on his bones, at least from a high-performance athletic level.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 07:45 PM)
One thing to keep in mind is that everyone is genetically predisposed to certain things...some people may function better lean and mean whereas another person May function better with a little meat on his bones, at least from a high-performance athletic level.

That's what I was saying. There's just no way to know how Jose will perform at what a fitness "expert " may determine is his ideal performance weight. He might still have foot issues regardless of the weight. Could have flat feet or very high arches or bad bones in his feet or something that running and moving around will always contribute to the problem. But despite all that I hope he remains just as powerful and more nimble without the 30-40 extra pounds should he decide he wants to be at 235.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
No way he's at 12 percent body fat.

Yea, maybe 16%. He def looks like he's lost a lot of weight though. Some of that is probably by design so he doesn't get too anemic by the end of the year. Next spring though I think he can come in a little leaner. He's proven fairly durable so far and any problems he's had are with his feet so the benefits of the weight loss outweigh any loss of power -- if any, imo.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 25, 2014 -> 09:20 PM)
Yea, maybe 16%. He def looks like he's lost a lot of weight though. Some of that is probably by design so he doesn't get too anemic by the end of the year. Next spring though I think he can come in a little leaner. He's proven fairly durable so far and any problems he's had are with his feet so the benefits of the weight loss outweigh any loss of power -- if any, imo.

What we hear some times when it come to pitcher's is repeating their ideal mechanical delivery in order to be consistent. We don't hear that so much when discussing hitters . So when a hitter changes his body I worry that all his moving parts will not flow in the same way that he is used to especially considering how good he is now.

Baseball has never been a game where the most physically fit guys are the best hitters. It more a hand /eye coordination/cerebral thing when it comes to hitting. Defensively I'd say being fit matters more.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 26, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
You know what I love about Jose Abreu...

When he goes in a slump... its for a 3-game series and not 70 games like the rest of the Sox.

he's a great hitter. it's going to be exciting watching him over the next few years.

The effect of the steroid era:

Back when Soxtalk went through the home runs are a bad thing phase,

Jim Thome used to get skewered on this board, yet his first 2 seasons with the White Sox finished with a higher OPS than Abreu currently sports, and Abreu has been pretty awesome.

Edited by Dick Allen

The effect of the steroid era:

Back when Soxtalk went through the home runs are a bad thing phase,

Jim Thome used to get skewered on this board, yet his first 2 seasons with the White Sox finished with a higher OPS than Abreu currently sports, and Abreu has been pretty awesome.

Anybody who skewered Jim Thome is an idiot and needs to find a sport other than baseball to follow.