White Sox currently tied for MLB lead in runs scored

southsider2k5

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
My stat of the day - if Tyler Flwoers had 3 more at bats he would be the American League leader in batting average. Sporting an obscene .606 BABIP.

He's hitting absolute bullets right now, with a 32.4% line drive percentage. A .606 BABIP is entirely unsustainable, but frankly, seeing him put up a .350-.400 BABIP is not outrageous and that would be incredibly valuable behind the plate.

They went through a 4-5 game rough patch, I don't really think that's inconsistency, I think it's just baseball.

Either way, they're not the best offense in the league but I think it's possible they finish in the upper third of the league in runs scored.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
In the two best hitters parks in baseball

Considering last year they could have been playing in Williamsport and not scoring many runs, I'll take it.

I don't think they have a top offense by any means, and while 2 explosions can really distort totals at this point, it is also nice to know this team has weathered some outages. Abreu, Semien, De Aza.

If they pitch better, they should at least be fun to watch.

On a semi-related topic, I looked up Hector Noesi's recent and career stats. How is that guy even in the majors? Photos of JDaniels in coitus with Lord Theo?

Even Justin Grimm looks like a terrible giveaway when you're trotting that guy out there.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
Considering last year they could have been playing in Williamsport and not scoring many runs, I'll take it.

I don't think they have a top offense by any means, and while 2 explosions can really distort totals at this point, it is also nice to know this team has weathered some outages. Abreu, Semien, De Aza.

If they pitch better, they should at least be fun to watch.

Amen to all that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
For the week prior to last night's game they had a .586 OPS as a team.

This team so far is impressive in their inconsistency.

Looking at the line up, it shouldn't be a surprise. It has three or more rookies in it almost every day with Semein, Abreu, and Eaton. Throw in guys like Leury, Nieto etc too for good measure.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:00 AM)
My stat of the day - if Tyler Flowers had 3 more at bats he would be the American League leader in batting average. Sporting an obscene .606 BABIP.

If he went 0 for 3, he'd still be leading so he is technically the batting leader.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 08:15 PM)
That's not true though. In order to qualify you have to have X amount of ABs. He doesn't meet that number.

In a case where someone doesn't qualify for the minimum PAs, but is close, they do a calculation assuming the player got no more hits and reached the minimum PA total. If this were the end of the season and Flowers was 3 PAs short, they would assume he went 0 for 3 and then calculate the average. If he still had the highest average, he'd win the batting title.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)
In a case where someone doesn't qualify for the minimum PAs, but is close, they do a calculation assuming the player got no more hits and reached the minimum PA total. If this were the end of the season and Flowers was 3 PAs short, they would assume he went 0 for 3 and then calculate the average. If he still had the highest average, he'd win the batting title.

That's news to me. I always thought 502 PA's was the rule.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
That's news to me. I always thought 502 PA's was the rule.

Rule 10.22(a): “The individual batting, slugging or on-base percentage champion shall be the player with the highest batting average, slugging percentage or on-base percentage, as the case may be, provided the player is credited with as many or more total appearances at the plate in league championship games as the number of games scheduled for each club in his club’s league that season, multiplied by 3.1 in the case of a Major League player. Total appearances at the plate shall include official times at bat, plus bases on balls, times hit by pitcher, sacrifice hits, sacrifice flies and times awarded first base because of interference or obstruction. Notwithstanding the foregoing requirement of minimum appearances at the plate, any player with fewer than the required number of plate appearances whose average would be the highest, if he were charged with the required number of plate appearances shall be awarded the batting, slugging or on-base percentage championship, as the case may be.”

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)

I have to ask, how did you know this?

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 12:19 AM)
I have to ask, how did you know this?

I remembered hearing announcers discuss it a long long time ago. Can't remember whether or not it ever actually came into play. I mistakenly thought it might have when Willie McGee won the NL batting title in '90 despite being traded to Oakland before the end of the season, but he had more than enough PAs in St. Louis.

Then a couple years ago it was being discussed again when Melky Cabrera amazingly ended with 501 PAs before his 50 game drug suspension. He would have won the title if he hadn't asked to be taken out of consideration, and then MLB instituted a special rule that said rule 10.22a could not apply to suspended players.

Edit: It happened in 1996. the Tony Gwynn Rule

"Although he was four plate appearances (PAs) short of the minimum to qualify for the title, MLB Rule 10.22(a)—also known as the Tony Gwynn rule—allowed hitless at-bats to be added to his record to qualify. Gwynn, who batted .353 in 498 PAs, would have dropped to .349 with the extra at-bats, still five points better than second-place Ellis Burks’ .344."

Edited by Vance Law

I remembered hearing announcers discuss it a long long time ago. Can't remember whether or not it ever actually came into play. I mistakenly thought it might have when Willie McGee won the NL batting title in '90 despite being traded to Oakland before the end of the season, but he had more than enough PAs in St. Louis.

Then a couple years ago it was being discussed again when Melky Cabrera amazingly ended with 501 PAs before his 50 game drug suspension. He would have won the title if he hadn't asked to be taken out of consideration, and then MLB instituted a special rule that said rule 10.22a could not apply to suspended players.

Edit: It happened in 1996. the Tony Gwynn Rule

"Although he was four plate appearances (PAs) short of the minimum to qualify for the title, MLB Rule 10.22(a)—also known as the Tony Gwynn rule—allowed hitless at-bats to be added to his record to qualify. Gwynn, who batted .353 in 498 PAs, would have dropped to .349 with the extra at-bats, still five points better than second-place Ellis Burks’ .344."

That rule only applies at the end of the season, not during the season, so Flowers would not be listed as the batting leader right now.