4/21 games

ILMOU

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Already started in B'Ham, and Jaye already letting me down. :angry:

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?c...mp;ymd=20140421

Surkamp, Goldberg and ? in Kanny.

Dykstra and Danish are going to have 9-10 days between starts, due to rainouts, if Kanny doesn't move things around.

Mitchell for Kanny. Dykstra and Danish after that, then TBA x2, per their PR guy.

Kanny may elect to go filler-types for a few starts, because likely one or both of those slots is taken up within the next month by Brandon Brennan and/or Francelis Montas, who are both finishing up rehab in Extended ST. Matt Ball also a possibility, he's in AZ converting to a starting role.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Already started in B'Ham, and Jaye already letting me down. :angry:

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?c...mp;ymd=20140421

Surkamp, Goldberg and ? in Kanny.

Dykstra and Danish are going to have 9-10 days between starts, due to rainouts, if Kanny doesn't move things around.

Walks are killing Jaye. Oh well, he's still young for AA.

Talking about walks, Trayce Thompson is a walk machine. He now has 11 walks and 12 strikeouts on the year. Would not of believed that stat coming into this year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Mitchell for Kanny. Dykstra and Danish after that, then TBA x2, per their PR guy.

Kanny may elect to go filler-types for a few starts, because likely one or both of those slots is taken up within the next month by Brandon Brennan and/or Francelis Montas, who are both finishing up rehab in Extended ST. Matt Ball also a possibility, he's in AZ converting to a starting role.

Thx.

Jaye pulled after 2IP, 50 pitches. Wondering if hurt or just stinkage of performance.

Thought I saw Montas slotted for Dash, unless mistaken.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 11:41 AM)
Talking about walks, Trayce Thompson is a walk machine. He now has 11 walks and 12 strikeouts on the year. Would not of believed that stat coming into this year.

Loving this, Trayce, please maintain.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
Thx.

Jaye pulled after 2IP, 50 pitches. Wondering if hurt or just stinkage of performance.

Thought I saw Montas slotted for Dash, unless mistaken.

Loving this, Trayce, please maintain.

Not sure where Montas is slotted, that's an open question. Same for Lopez and Brennan. All three should be coming back as starters. Lopez should really be at W-S, Montas is 50/50, Brennan likely KAN. But those are all just my guesses.

If Johnson can be a legit XB threat (not just a singles hitter), you can start thinking about him for LF...because having that speed threat/run creation element in the line-up's a must if you're giving up 20-30 homers coming out of that position.

In an ideal world, Semien plays SS and Micah Johnson 2B. No doubt about that. But they've simply got to be at least average defensively for it to make sense.

Otherwise, I'd rather just leave the best of those two at 2B and move the other to LF. In all likelihood, it would be Semien at 2B and Johnson in LF, because of Semien's ability to play SS, he clearly is the logical choice to be the better defender at that position (same with Beckham moving off SS).

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 07:34 PM)
Outside of Trayce, quite an awful night for the impact prospects.

Not an impact prospect yet, but might we have something in Trey Michalczewhatever? Quite a pup, having just turned 19, and holding his own.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 07:28 PM)
He should have known. They made it clear from day one that he wasn't destined for Chicago yet.

I agree and the fact that he started pretty hot kind of ruins the feel sorry for himself excuse. And if he does feel sorry for himself, too bad. Striking out every other trip to the plate is only going to keep in playing minor league ball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 22, 2014 -> 01:39 AM)
I agree and the fact that he started pretty hot kind of ruins the feel sorry for himself excuse. And if he does feel sorry for himself, too bad. Striking out every other trip to the plate is only going to keep in playing minor league ball.

I thought this heading into the year and seems even more possible now, but it wouldn't shock me to see Gillaspie at 3B for the Sox the next 4-5 years and Davidson used as a trade chip.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 08:38 PM)
Not an impact prospect yet, but might we have something in Trey Michalczewhatever? Quite a pup, having just turned 19, and holding his own.

Perhaps. I loved the draft pick. Overslot guy who has lots of potential. Hoping the power comes along.

Trey Michalczewski, 3B, Kannapolis: A former tight end in high school, Michalczewski offers the expected athleticism that comes with such a pedigree. His offensive game is more polished than one would expect, and at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, there’s plenty of reason to believe he’ll hit for some power down the line. He’s moved off of shortstop, where he played in high school, and is working to adjust to third base.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/mino...-keeps-bashing/

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
He is something else on the field. I would very rarely advise someone to watch amateur Youtube videos of minor leaguers fielding but Rondon is worth it.

Once he can prove himself to be a 700-725 OPS guy at the AA level, that's when I will really start to get excited about him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 10:30 PM)
He is something else on the field. I would very rarely advise someone to watch amateur Youtube videos of minor leaguers fielding but Rondon is worth it.

Impressive. Was hoping kannapolis was coming to play charleston this year so hope he's there in June.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 21, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
Perhaps. I loved the draft pick. Overslot guy who has lots of potential. Hoping the power comes along.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/mino...-keeps-bashing/

I liked the pick as well and he's showing what you want from a young hitter: walks and average. His contact rate is actually low so maybe the average will fall, but even for a power prospect I want to see on-base skills. Power comes last. Patience can be developed as well, but it's always better to start with it.

As a sidenote, I got a laugh out of that scouting blurb. The expected athleticism of a high school tight end? Clearly this guy hasn't seen the same high school tight ends I have. High school shortstop says more about his athleticism than high school tight end.

Brad Goldberg 5 K, 1 BB tonight in 6 IP. He has 16 K and 6 BB in 19.1 IP, but a 6.52 ERA. We may need to stick to raw K:BB numbers for the Dash pitching staff if their defense is as bad as the error total. Kanny's starting infield has 26 errors combined. Unearned runs help pitchers' stats a bit, but if they are bad defenders, you also need to factor for the balls they aren't even getting to and aren't errors.

Wendelken (17 K, 2 BB in 22.1 IP, 3.63 ERA), Bucciferro (8 K, 1 BB in 17.1 IP, 3.63 ERA) and Recchia (21 K, 5 BB in 15.1 IP, 4.11 ERA) also seem to have higher ERAs than their peripherals would indicate.