Chris Sale to start Thu May 22 vs Yankees

Feeky Magee

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 6, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
This is entirely possible. He had a 40 pitch bullpen session yesterday. If he felt fine he would probably have a simulated game or rehab start coming up. Obviously, everything wasn't fine. He is going to have another bullpen session tomorrow I think. If this happens than I will be encouraged. It means that they are just working on strengthening to get his arm ready for a start. If the bullpen session happens any later than Thursday, there is still something going on.

This makes me happy.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 7, 2014 -> 06:05 PM)
@scottmerkin: Chris Sale threw his second bullpen today. The biggest thing is he remains pain-free

Poorly worded tweet, is he saying it's important he stay free or that he threw and it was pain free? Robin's words today scare me:

“You’re cautious with him,” Ventura said. “We’ve done this in the past. You’re probably more patient with him, just his reactions to how he has been feeling every time he goes out. He’s eventually going to be back. When it is, we’ll wait and see how he does.”

So, what does that mean? Anyways, all we know for a fact is he's thrown two bullpens in the span of a week. If things are actually better in his elbow then he'll throw a rehab start next week and be back a week after that. If that doesn't happen you'll probably see the dreaded "exploratory surgery" option thrown out there.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 8, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Poorly worded tweet, is he saying it's important he stay free or that he threw and it was pain free? Robin's words today scare me:

So, what does that mean? Anyways, all we know for a fact is he's thrown two bullpens in the span of a week. If things are actually better in his elbow then he'll throw a rehab start next week and be back a week after that. If that doesn't happen you'll probably see the dreaded "exploratory surgery" option thrown out there.

There is no exploratory surgery for something like this. The joint is currently not lax so there is no plans for surgery, otherwise he wouldn't be throwing. If the joint is lax but not enough for surgery, he is shut down and in a brace for 3-6 weeks.

Currently it is a question of building the arm strength back with no adverse effect to the muscles. If the muscles aren't working properly the ligament can tear. So they need to strengthen it a the symptoms allow.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 8, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
There is no exploratory surgery for something like this. The joint is currently not lax so there is no plans for surgery, otherwise he wouldn't be throwing. If the joint is lax but not enough for surgery, he is shut down and in a brace for 3-6 weeks.

Currently it is a question of building the arm strength back with no adverse effect to the muscles. If the muscles aren't working properly the ligament can tear. So they need to strengthen it a the symptoms allow.

Are you a doctor? I just ask because I'm generally curious. My understanding is that the imaging (MRI and X-Ray) are good but not perfect for looking at the structural integrity of the elbow joint. They can say "it looks clean" but if symtomps perisist past the time of a mere "muscle strain" and they can't see anything in the imaging then they go into the elbow.

A google search of "exploratory elbow surgery" yields quite a few results, including Joel Zumaya to have exploratory elbow surgery

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 8, 2014 -> 12:55 PM)
Are you a doctor? I just ask because I'm generally curious. My understanding is that the imaging (MRI and X-Ray) are good but not perfect for looking at the structural integrity of the elbow joint. They can say "it looks clean" but if symtomps perisist past the time of a mere "muscle strain" and they can't see anything in the imaging then they go into the elbow.

A google search of "exploratory elbow surgery" yields quite a few results, including Joel Zumaya to have exploratory elbow surgery

I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer with about 30 years of sports medicine research and experience. You're right about the imaging techniques. I refer to MRI as standing for "More Radiographic Income."

One reason i say that there really isn't an exploratory surgery for this case is the way they are treating it. While the imaging techniques aren't always accurate, manual ligament tests are. They know if the ligament is loose or not. They would have him throwing if there was any doubt.

The other reason is that Zumaya is a different case as he is having post surgical difficulties. Once you have surgery and the anatomy changes all bets are off. The normal manual tests don't always look the same. Plus he has been having problems for months post surgery.

You really can't equate the two since one has already had a surgery.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 8, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)
I'm a physical therapist and athletic trainer with about 30 years of sports medicine research and experience. You're right about the imaging techniques. I refer to MRI as standing for "More Radiographic Income."

One reason i say that there really isn't an exploratory surgery for this case is the way they are treating it. While the imaging techniques aren't always accurate, manual ligament tests are. They know if the ligament is loose or not. They would have him throwing if there was any doubt.

The other reason is that Zumaya is a different case as he is having post surgical difficulties. Once you have surgery and the anatomy changes all bets are off. The normal manual tests don't always look the same. Plus he has been having problems for months post surgery.

You really can't equate the two since one has already had a surgery.

Thanks a lot. I'm an amateur, no formal training in sports medicine, but consider myself fairly well informed about this stuff just from my own research and experiences when I played.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 8, 2014 -> 05:39 PM)
STill waiting for first rehab assignment.

Hahn was just talking about him going on a rehab assignment in the next 7-10 days, so put that at May 15-18.

And then hopefully he's ready to go 6 innings in KC or Chicago May 20-23.

I'm shocked. I honestly thought he'd have gone down for good by now.

Still... it's coming... and frankly the sooner the better for our team's competition hopes... at this point if he goes down '15 is a wash too.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 8, 2014 -> 05:05 PM)
I'm shocked. I honestly thought he'd have gone down for good by now.

Still... it's coming... and frankly the sooner the better for our team's competition hopes... at this point if he goes down '15 is a wash too.

You shouldn't be. He's only slightly more likely to get hurt than any other pitcher.

Just pushed himself too hard, too early, imo.

And so not so to the bolded. Getting actually injured absolutely does NOT make future injury less likely.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (flavum @ May 8, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/white-...ale-comes-focus

Probably be 3 weeks before he can go 7 innings.

I think it will be earlier than that. Saturday will be his 3rd bullpen and I'm sure they have been slowly increasing the number and intensity. He should then be ready for a rehab start. He shouldn't be limited to much. So 4 days later would be the next rehab or MLB depending on the how he feels.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:25 PM)
I think it will be earlier than that. Saturday will be his 3rd bullpen and I'm sure they have been slowly increasing the number and intensity. He should then be ready for a rehab start. He shouldn't be limited to much. So 4 days later would be the next rehab or MLB depending on the how he feels.

Right now, they're saying two rehab starts because Ventura doesn't want him to go out at the MLB level and be limited to 4-5 innings the first time out....says it wouldn't be fair to him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2014 -> 02:11 AM)
Right now, they're saying two rehab starts because Ventura doesn't want him to go out at the MLB level and be limited to 4-5 innings the first time out....says it wouldn't be fair to him.

Makes sense. When they said conservative theywere not kidding.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 9, 2014 -> 03:11 AM)

Gimme a break are we trying to win games or what...

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 9, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
If you watched last night's game you know that would be a no.

Tragically I can't tell if that's really the case or if Robin is just that clueless. Why Cleto continues to even sniff high leverage situations is beyond me. Yea that ball should have been caught by Sierra but my goodness look at Cleto's pitch plot it was like the Wild Thing out there last night he's lucky he didn't take Castillo's head off.