4/23 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:42 AM)
Kid is no doubt very raw (and skinny as hell), but his upside is noticeable. I know Jon and myself like him alot. (although me personally I think he'll be on our top prospects list by next year) He'll have his down games, but I think he will get more noticed later down the line.

What are you keying on with him? What do you know about him? I know basically nothing so I'd love to hear more.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
What are you keying on with him? What do you know about him? I know basically nothing so I'd love to hear more.

He was pretty touted in high school in Cali. I believe he made varsity as a freshman. (good pitcher and hitter) He was the captain of the team as a senior which speaks volume about his character. Athletic kid (white sox M.O., 2 sports) Add to that, he's hispanic, so two thumbs up there. :lol: Probably would have been a higher pick if he went to college. He is definitely known for his good changeup.

Jon has actually seen him, so I'm sure he can give background on his stuff. I've only seen reports about his velocity fluctuating from high 80s to low 90s. (might be a guess why sox have him in the bullpen now...)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
When is a zero strikeout game still awesome? When it's Tyler f***in' Danish. The guy is just plain different, and you have to look at the numbers more closely to fully appreciate.

In yesterday's 6 innings the four hits were all ground ball singles. 2 balls in total reached the outfield in the air, both flyouts. He allowed 1 line drive. All the rest were groundouts/popouts.

For the season's 20IP, he's allowed 14 singles, 3 2B, 1 3B and 0 HR - 23 total bases for a slugging % against of .284. He's an extreme groundballer, running at 69% currently, coupled with an insanely low 10% LD rate. Because of this, most of the hits he allows are, and will be, singles, and those fortunate souls will be moving station-to-station. No one has even attempted a SB against his quick delivery, and he puts himself in excellent defensive position on the mound. He has 1 WP and 0 HBP. HR's will be few - only 17% of his occasional fly balls allowed have been pulled.

Other metrics indicate has plenty of swing and miss in his repertoire when he needs it, but they have him on a low pitch count, so I believe he's emphasizing his GB tendencies to maximize the innings he can go.

Yes, the sample sizes are tiny at this juncture, but I won't be shocked by anything this kid does. Better IF defense behind him at the higher levels and in MLB should only help him as he advances. I vehemently disagree with some of the conservative estimates of his ceiling. This guy has few, if any, comps, and his ceiling will depend only on his health, imo.

Agree, as I said in another thread, don't get too worked up about early season stats or K totals for guys in the minors. Coming out of spring training they usually have a development plan that dictates the number and types of pitches they throw. It's possible they have Tyler working on a Cutter now and limiting the use of his slider as an out pitch. The goal of the org is to develop guys and that will often come at the expense of stats and wins on the MiLB level.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)

You broke my bubble, Northsider; I thought you knew everything about the farm system....

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
4/23/14 Recap: Barnum breaks out

Didn't see this posted here. Thanks for putting these recaps together, FutureSox. Very useful resource.

Glad you like them. Brian (raBBit) and Rob (southside hitman) have been doing good work and getting better as they go along, and we have been talking about having daily content for a while.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
You broke my bubble, Northsider; I thought you knew everything about the farm system....

LOL

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 24, 2014 -> 08:59 AM)
He was pretty touted in high school in Cali. I believe he made varsity as a freshman. (good pitcher and hitter) He was the captain of the team as a senior which speaks volume about his character. Athletic kid (white sox M.O., 2 sports) Add to that, he's hispanic, so two thumbs up there. :lol: Probably would have been a higher pick if he went to college. He is definitely known for his good changeup.

Jon has actually seen him, so I'm sure he can give background on his stuff. I've only seen reports about his velocity fluctuating from high 80s to low 90s. (might be a guess why sox have him in the bullpen now...)

Many of the players good enough to get drafted out of high school were on varsity as freshmen. Almost all of them were team captains as seniors. Anyone who is that head and shoulders above his teammates is typically named team captain. That's just how high school sports work.