Sox @ Tigers, 4/23, Rienzo vs. Smyly, 6:08 on CSN+

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:26 PM)
I'm a fan of his bat, but you can tell he's not picking up the ball at all at the plate. More checked-swings this year than any other Sox player I've seen in a month span.

He's also got royally screwed more than anyone I've ever seen in a month span on check swings.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Marcus' xWTWfLog3 is off the charts at 4.0008

Ha. Hawk just said he was the MVP of two leagues last year. This is how the tall tales start. Semien was the MVP of the Southern League, but he only played 32 games with AAA Charlotte.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:28 PM)
Ha. Hawk just said he was the MVP of two leagues last year. This is how the tall tales start. Semien was the MVP of the Southern League, but he only played 32 games with AAA Charlotte.

You know Hawk.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
Why hasn't anyone corrected Hawk yet about his Marcus Semien MVP in AA and AAA thing?

Chris Colabello won the International League MVP in AAA.....

I was too busy making a sandwich to post earlier, ha.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 09:27 PM)
Why hasn't anyone corrected Hawk yet about his Marcus Semien MVP in AA and AAA thing?

Chris Colabello won the International League MVP in AAA.....

Who would dare correct Hawk? He'd have a new partner if they did.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:31 PM)
Who would dare correct Hawk? He'd have a new partner if they did.

I've noticed that Stoney never agrees with him after he says that. He either changes the subject or brings up something else about Semien. He's clearly too worried to correct him, either on air or off of it.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
You can't tell me De Aza has been hitting the ball hard. He has had some s***ty check swing calls on him, I will give him that. But he hasn't been hitting the ball hard enough for me to say balls aren't falling for him

Nobody in baseball hits the ball weakly enough to have just 1 in every 6.5 balls put in play result in hits.

Not to say he doesn't have some issues this year. He's walking a bit less, striking out a bit more (although you could put down a lot, if not all, of that to BS check swing calls), and looks anxious at the plate. But to say he's "worthless" is silly hyperbole. It may well be that he's less valuable than he has been, but that doesn't mean he won't still be valuable, or that you can even make a judgement after a little over 3 weeks. I guarantee you that if you took whomever is your favourite hitter on the team, I could find you a 3-week stretch where he hit about as badly*.

*unless it's Jose Abreu.

Edited by Feeky Magee

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Apr 23, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
Nobody in baseball hits the ball weakly enough to have just 1 in every 6.5 balls put in play result in hits.

Not to say he doesn't have some issues this year. He's walking a bit less, striking out a bit more (although you could put down a lot, if not all, of that to BS check swing calls), and looks anxious at the plate. But to say he's "worthless" is silly hyperbole. It may well be that he's less valuable than he has been, but that doesn't mean he won't still be valuable, or that you can even make a judgement after a little over 3 weeks. I guarantee you that if you took whomever is your favourite hitter on the team, I could find you a 3-week stretch where he hit about as badly*.

*unless it's Jose Abreu.

I understand every player usually goes through bad stretches and he won't hit this poorly all year but I don't get how you can say that based off that stat. I can say it because I have watched enough baseball in my life and have seen De Aza play enough to know he won't hit THIS poorly all year.