AL Rookie of the Month/Year watch

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
If you are playing in a self-professed "major league" you shouldn't be eligible for the "rookie" of the year. If you want to change it to "first year" player of the year, that is fine. As it is, I hate that we give a 32 year old veteran star from Japan/Cuba/Wherever, the same consideration as a playing getting his first taste of major league baseball

I'm on this side. Especially if you have played multiple seasons in the top tier league.

I think if you sign as a free agent from another country, that was playing in that country's top league and go directly into MLB, you should not be eligible. This would eliminate the proven players such as Tanaka, Ichiro and Abreu from winning the award, but allow amateur free agents who do develop in the US to still win (such as a player like Viciedo). I don't care how long or how old you are before you finally make it to MLB if you developed in this country because you were not playing at the top level until you got to MLB.

There is a big difference between coming to MLB from Japan than coming to MLB from Cuba or anywhere else.

Isn't the Serie Nacional labeled as an A ball by many in the US Media, Sabermetrics community, etc?

We see examples after examples of AAA and AA players from US going to Japan and putting better numbers there. We also see many Japanese stars struggling in MLB and even AAA. Therefore, the Japanese league as a whole is not as a strong as a AAA in the US.

Why a NPB or a Serie Nacional player is any different than a AAA or AA player for the ROY consideration? Isn't AAA a professional league too with better fields, baseball equipment, transportation, incentives than the Serie Nacional players? Who has the better chance to succeed?

Edited by Cubano

QUOTE (Cubano @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 08:07 AM)
Isn't the Serie Nacional labeled as an A ball by many in the US Media, Sabermetrics community, etc?

We see examples after examples of AAA and AA players from US going to Japan and putting better numbers there. We also see many Japanese stars struggling in MLB and even AAA. Therefore, the Japanese league as a whole is not as a strong as a AAA in the US.

Why a NPB or a Serie Nacional player is any different than a AAA or AA player for the ROY consideration? Isn't AAA a professional league too with better fields, baseball equipment, transportation, incentives than the Serie Nacional players? Who has the better chance to succeed?

I think it's more that the players that come here have seasoned themselves to professional baseball, are older than guys in the states coming up from AAA. If Abreu came here two or three years ago it would have been a better equivalent.

Perhaps wording it along the lines of "to be eligible for ROTY honors a player must have played the majority of the last season (or whatever) on a United States minor league team or played (3 years or average minor league time) on a professional team outside the US. I'm guessing here but someone who was a AA or AAA league MVP in 2010 would have been on a MLB roster by 2012.

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
I think it's more that the players that come here have seasoned themselves to professional baseball, are older than guys in the states coming up from AAA. If Abreu came here two or three years ago it would have been a better equivalent.

Perhaps wording it along the lines of "to be eligible for ROTY honors a player must have played the majority of the last season (or whatever) on a United States minor league team or played (3 years or average minor league time) on a professional team outside the US. I'm guessing here but someone who was a AA or AAA league MVP in 2010 would have been on a MLB roster by 2012.

One way to make an exception to that would be an injury. AAA MVP who goes down for Tommy John surgery right at the end of the year, misses a full season, then steps back up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 26, 2014 -> 06:02 PM)
One way to make an exception to that would be an injury. AAA MVP who goes down for Tommy John surgery right at the end of the year, misses a full season, then steps back up.

Yes. That could be as simple as someone that didn't play the previous year unless suspended.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 25, 2014 -> 11:23 PM)
Abreu might lose rookie of the month and get player of the month if he keeps this up

Abreu leads the league in HR and RBI... Given how heavily weighted those stats are when it comes to awards, I'd say he has a shot at player of the month. Nobody else is really putting up numbers that are as eye-popping.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 04:32 AM)
Abreu leads the league in HR and RBI... Given how heavily weighted those stats are when it comes to awards, I'd say he has a shot at player of the month. Nobody else is really putting up numbers that are as eye-popping.

Walk-off grand slams stick in the memory, too.

The guy beat Albert Pujols for most homeruns as a rookie and also now holds the rookie record for RBI's... he's getting some sort of award for that - no questions asked.

It's a higher feat than a 0.93 WHIP over 5 games and he'll be recognized.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
I wish he could also get his AVG UP so he can win roy,and the seldom attained triple crown .

Either his AVG or OBP rising would seal the deal. If he's a guy who takes walks and when he hits, hits for power, that's damn noticeable too.

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Apr 27, 2014 -> 11:48 PM)
Either his AVG or OBP rising would seal the deal. If he's a guy who takes walks and when he hits, hits for power, that's damn noticeable too.

Right now pitchers are just learning that they can't challenge him and that he adapts when they try to do something to him like work the low and away area. He's going to start walking more as people get more careful.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
Early for that, but if Abreu ends up 50/150, probably have to screw Trout for the third year in a row.

Just by looking at the numbers, who else even comes close to Abreu now? Just Pujols and Colabello, and Abreu has better numbers.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Just by looking at the numbers, who else even comes close to Abreu now? Just Pujols and Colabello, and Abreu has better numbers.

I'd vote for Abreu now, but I'm a Sox fan. WAR isn't my thing, but Abreu is 10th right now for just offense. I'll look on June 1st.