Rangel Ravelo

ILMOU

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
He's been at first for awhile now, I don't really know how Stoltz can make that call about his D at 3rd. As mentioned by someone else, if he could have stayed at 3rd, he wouldn't be at first.

He scouted him at Kannapolis when he was at 3B and was surprised they moved him. His point is the same as this threads, there is a 26 year old organizational guy playing 3B for the Barons, why not move him back to his original position.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:03 PM)
He scouted him at Kannapolis when he was at 3B and was surprised they moved him. His point is the same as this threads, there is a 26 year old organizational guy playing 3B for the Barons, why not move him back to his original position.

The question is the answer. There's a 26 year old org guy there. If they thought Ravelo could do it competently, he'd be there. Heck if they needed filler they could just switch Curley and Ravelo on the field and cover 1B. The fact that they don't tells me what I need to know.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
The question is the answer. There's a 26 year old org guy there. If they thought Ravelo could do it competently, he'd be there. Heck if they needed filler they could just switch Curley and Ravelo on the field and cover 1B. The fact that they don't tells me what I need to know.

I will play devil advocate, when the sox moved him to 1b, the org did not have a good prospect for 1b. now we have Jose A

and that changes the pict. now we have Keon Barnum and R Ravelo vying for the backup role. hey DH is open and who

will man that position ?

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:32 PM)
I will play devil advocate, when the sox moved him to 1b, the org did not have a good prospect for 1b. now we have Jose A

and that changes the pict. now we have Keon Barnum and R Ravelo vying for the backup role. hey DH is open and who

will man that position ?

Moving a guy to 1b from 3b because the team doesn't have 1b options would be an incredibly silly move.

Let's just say it this way. Maybe there's a chance some people are right and Ravelo could move back to 3b, but he's in the White Sox organization and the White Sox organization gave up on him as a fielder at 3b. It therefore seems extremely unlikely that they're going to decide to move him back there after giving up on him at 3rd. That's their call and even if they're wrong, they're the ones who get to make it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
Moving a guy to 1b from 3b because the team doesn't have 1b options would be an incredibly silly move.

Let's just say it this way. Maybe there's a chance some people are right and Ravelo could move back to 3b, but he's in the White Sox organization and the White Sox organization gave up on him as a fielder at 3b. It therefore seems extremely unlikely that they're going to decide to move him back there after giving up on him at 3rd. That's their call and even if they're wrong, they're the ones who get to make it.

let see it this way, 2 yrs ago, sox had an idea of paulie and his expiring contract in mind, no-one on the radar to take over. sox

drafted Ravelo and thought with his athleticism, his eye and hand coordination and the hopes that he can develop power,

they the sox org moved him to 1b.

with ref to the "silly" comment you made in baseball that has been done many times .... why else would

the sox think of doing it.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
let see it this way, 2 yrs ago, sox had an idea of paulie and his expiring contract in mind, no-one on the radar to take over. sox

drafted Ravelo and thought with his athleticism, his eye and hand coordination and the hopes that he can develop power,

they the sox org moved him to 1b.

with ref to the "silly" comment you made in baseball that has been done many times .... why else would

the sox think of doing it.

Um, because they judged he wasn't an adequate defender at 3rd?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
Um, because they judged he wasn't an adequate defender at 3rd?

That's much more likely than the idea they'd move a prospect in A ball (and a young-for-level one at that) from third to first because the current MLB team needed 1B help. You just don't do that (the latter), just like you don't draft for organizational need, because the players are so far away from MLB anyway, among other reasons.

We'd all love if he was a competent defensive 3B. The Sox don't believe he is.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)
That's much more likely than the idea they'd move a prospect in A ball (and a young-for-level one at that) from third to first because the current MLB team needed 1B help. You just don't do that (the latter), just like you don't draft for organizational need, because the players are so far away from MLB anyway, among other reasons.

We'd all love if he was a competent defensive 3B. The Sox don't believe he is.

yes the sox drafted him, then thought about it and for whatever reason moved him over to 1b. I believe that didn't they

experimented with Viciedo there ? all I am saying is for whatever reason he was moved to 1b and with Jose being there

we can have him backup / dh / or even move to the outfield.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:42 PM)

you made it sound as moving a player to another position so he can play was a silly move. all I kept on saying is

baseball teams do it a lot. move player to other position due lack of fielding, to take advantage of his bat, to

develop him for a position which may not have prospects. you mention that it was silly ...... I never mention

moving him back to 3b ..... that is the best I can remember.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
you made it sound as moving a player to another position so he can play was a silly move. all I kept on saying is

baseball teams do it a lot. move player to other position due lack of fielding, to take advantage of his bat, to

develop him for a position which may not have prospects. you mention that it was silly ...... I never mention

moving him back to 3b ..... that is the best I can remember.

It's not silly in a vacuum, but there are two things about how teams usually do it that are important:

(1) it's nearly always to an easier position, and

(2) it's almost never done until they're absolutely sure it needs to be done

Nearly all of the exceptions to this rule come when there's a roster crunch, and those are most often considered temporary moves. So, the fact that Ravelo was moved down the spectrum at such a young age is probably indicative that they think he really seriously can't cut it at third, or else they'd have given him much more time to improve.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 08:04 PM)
It's not silly in a vacuum, but there are two things about how teams usually do it that are important:

(1) it's nearly always to an easier position, and

(2) it's almost never done until they're absolutely sure it needs to be done

Nearly all of the exceptions to this rule come when there's a roster crunch, and those are most often considered temporary moves. So, the fact that Ravelo was moved down the spectrum at such a young age is probably indicative that they think he really seriously can't cut it at third, or else they'd have given him much more time to improve.

you know, that is a good point you made, thanks.

Rangel is one of my fav players, I still would like to see if he can convert to being a outfielder.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
you know, that is a good point you made, thanks.

Rangel is one of my fav players, I still would like to see if he can convert to being a outfielder.

Giving him some OF time makes more sense than expecting him to become a 3b again, I'll grant that, but there are again a bunch of caveats. Maybe they want him focusing on just one position right now, maybe they want him focusing on getting better with the bat right now rather than learning another new position.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
Giving him some OF time makes more sense than expecting him to become a 3b again, I'll grant that, but there are again a bunch of caveats. Maybe they want him focusing on just one position right now, maybe they want him focusing on getting better with the bat right now rather than learning another new position.

That would be the key. Plus the Sox have some OK outfield prospects right now, plus these guys and local fans also want to see the team win too.

If he keeps hitting, they'll get his bat in the lineup one way or another.