Will Sox be buyers, not sellers, at the trade deadline?

VAfan

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
That's an older core for a rebuild. Putting it another way, they are further along their development cycle than typical rebuilds.

Well I assert it's a younger core and since you can't be bothered to do antyhing other than repeat your reply, I win.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 12:15 AM)
That's an older core for a rebuild. Putting it another way, they are further along their development cycle than typical rebuilds.

Yeah, but that was clearly by design. To be honest, I don't think the Sox could afford losing such a big portion of their fan base if they went into a Theo-Cubs style rebuild. I have no problem with getting players that are so close to the majors, as it's not like the Sox have had a good history of developing hitters that spend a long time in their system.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
Yeah, but that was clearly by design. To be honest, I don't think the Sox could afford losing such a big portion of their fan base if they went into a Theo-Cubs style rebuild. I have no problem with getting players that are so close to the majors, as it's not like the Sox have had a good history of developing hitters that spend a long time in their system.

I have no problem with the older core, but they should have done something on the pitching side in case they were right about the offense. They could end up missing a golden opportunity.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)

Hence, the Davidson acquisition rather than someone like a Soler at the high A level...or the equivalent of another Courtney Hawkins.

Mitigating the risk factor, while tamping down the upside just a bit.

We're in Year 1 of a strategic rebuild that started this offseason, they're in Year 4. And we're already well behind the Rays in attendance. If it wasn't for the Indians, we'd be last.

That CLE situation is a good example of two huge sell-offs decimating a similar fanbase that supported the hell out of that team in the 90's/early 2000's and set a record for consecutive sellouts at Jacobs. And bad ownership...disliked by locals. Well, maybe not Sterling/Snyder/Ted Stepien bad...but BAD.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 11:21 PM)
I have no problem with the older core, but they should have done something on the pitching side in case they were right about the offense. They could end up missing a golden opportunity.

Outside of Santana and Jimenez, what could they really have done? I was hoping for someone like Hammel, but Paulino was their choice for a cheaper lottery ticket. Don't get me wrong though, I was hoping for a swing man like Capuano given the lack of pitching depth in the organization.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 11:22 PM)
Hence, the Davidson acquisition rather than someone like a Soler at the high A level...or the equivalent of another Courtney Hawkins.

Mitigating the risk factor, while tamping down the upside just a bit.

We're in Year 1 of a strategic rebuild that started this offseason, they're in Year 4. And we're already well behind the Rays in attendance. If it wasn't for the Indians, we'd be last.

That CLE situation is a good example of two huge sell-offs decimating a similar fanbase that supported the hell out of that team in the 90's/early 2000's and set a record for consecutive sellouts at Jacobs. And bad ownership...disliked by locals. Well, maybe not Sterling/Snyder/Ted Stepien bad...but BAD.

To be honest, the Sox can't catch a break with their attendance right now. The good weather nights seem to coincide with either the Hawks and/or Bulls playing. If Abreu and company keep playing well, they'll start creeping up to 20k a game. Given the weather today, the attendance will not be good (unless Tampa's starter pulls a Carroll and has his entire town attending the game).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
How on Earth could anyone write that as though it's true?

Sale 25

Abreu 27

Gillaspie 26

Garcia 22

Viciedo 25

Eaton 25

Quintana 25

Davidson 23

Flowers 28

Phegley 26

Nieto 24

Semien 23

Webb 24

Petricka 25

Jones 28

The White Sox literally have 1 guy who will be over the age of 30 in 2 years and still under contract: John Danks. In 2 years Jones will be 30 and so will Flowers. If they're all held onto (not likely) that's 3 guys who might actually be on the back side of their careers 2 years from now.

Well done.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:23 PM)
Outside of Santana and Jimenez, what could they really have done? I was hoping for someone like Hammel, but Paulino was their choice for a cheaper lottery ticket. Don't get me wrong though, I was hoping for a swing man like Capuano given the lack of pitching depth in the organization.

Anything, but what they did.

Putting as much stress on Sale's outings as they did was just asking for trouble. First reason to get a starter was to protect Sale and Quintana, next was if the offense is turned around they could compete in a weak division.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
How on Earth could anyone write that as though it's true?

Sale 25

Abreu 27

Gillaspie 26

Garcia 22

Viciedo 25

Eaton 25

Quintana 25

Davidson 23

Flowers 28

Phegley 26

Nieto 24

Semien 23

Webb 24

Petricka 25

Jones 28

The White Sox literally have 1 guy who will be over the age of 30 in 2 years and still under contract: John Danks. In 2 years Jones will be 30 and so will Flowers. If they're all held onto (not likely) that's 3 guys who might actually be on the back side of their careers 2 years from now.

Micah Johnson, Carlos Sanchez, Courtney Hawkins, Chris Beck, Trayce Thompson could all factor into the core also. Not to mention the #3 pick and possibly the next two picks of the draft

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)

Right but they aren't old. They'll be there next year, and probably better. Rather than gamble on on Jimenez/Santana, give up a draft pick and sink tens of millions into what so far has amounted to a 50/50 shot at being good (Santana solid, Jimenez disaster), they see what they actually need for next year.

Going into the year, there was reason to believe their SP prospects could have been ready. Hindsight is 20/20, but there was too much uncertainty to gamble the future.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
Right but they aren't old. They'll be there next year, and probably better. Rather than gamble on on Jimenez/Santana, give up a draft pick and sink tens of millions into what so far has amounted to a 50/50 shot at being good (Santana solid, Jimenez disaster), they see what they actually need for next year.

Going into the year, there was reason to believe their SP prospects could have been ready. Hindsight is 20/20, but there was too much uncertainty to gamble the future.

Erik Johnson has been as good as Jimenez at 1/30 the price.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 07:31 PM)
Anything, but what they did.

Putting as much stress on Sale's outings as they did was just asking for trouble. First reason to get a starter was to protect Sale and Quintana, next was if the offense is turned around they could compete in a weak division.

This is super ridiculous, unless you wanted Santana for the bullpen.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 11:47 PM)
This is super ridiculous, unless you wanted Santana for the bullpen.

Of course not, with 20/20 hindsight, Santana and Jimenez would both be pitching better than Tanaka (well, Santana's close, albeit on a one year deal) and would never have a need for the bullpen with their bevy of complete games.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
Ask and thou shalt receive.

What are you talking about? That quote doesn't settle the bet. I said we could contend (win the division, OK) if we had Reed. That would bolster the bullpen and we could win the mediocre to lousy to pathetic division. What are you guys talking about??

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:30 AM)
What are you talking about? That quote doesn't settle the bet. I said we could contend (win the division, OK) if we had Reed. That would bolster the bullpen and we could win the mediocre to lousy to pathetic division. What are you guys talking about??

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
Still not what he said, but the fact that it's even close enough to be implied is so disheartening to see. Damnit Greg, I was trying to stick up for the poor guy.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:18 AM)
I think the team is going to be sellers at the deadline, I don't have faith in the way the bullpen has been performing and in the depth of the starting rotation.

buyer or sellers, it doesn't matter which. you still be a seller and bring in the right prospect (s). however we really don't have

the surplus of talent that other teams may want. right now we have all the players moving in the right direction, do we want to

really break up that momentum?

going into the start we thought the pitching was a good one that Hahn assembled, who would have thought Paulino and Johnson

would be hurt/not pitching as predicted?

I really don't think we should trade for the sake of trading, play with the team we have, lets build up the fan based again, look

at the waiver wire and see what develops.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:30 AM)

Eat your words.

"It shouldn't be. Not in this pathetic division. It was winnable with Reed IMO."

You know damn well what you said and what you meant, and trying to Johnny Cochrane it right now is flat out wrong.

A better question is actually what will we have worthwhile of selling at the deadline that is EXPENDABLE? If we are planning on competing in 2015, trading Johnny Danks or Alexei doesn't make sense. It seems that Beckham is a lost cause right now and worth absolutely nothing. I am not sure what we can get for Dunn even if he is able to keep up at this pace at the deadline- it seems most people think the ceiling there is some salary relief and a Leury Garcia ceiling type of player. What other pieces do we have that can result in getting the deals we saw over the offseason where we focused on young, exciting and talented ball players?

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
A better question is actually what will we have worthwhile of selling at the deadline that is EXPENDABLE? If we are planning on competing in 2015, trading Johnny Danks or Alexei doesn't make sense. It seems that Beckham is a lost cause right now and worth absolutely nothing. I am not sure what we can get for Dunn even if he is able to keep up at this pace at the deadline- it seems most people think the ceiling there is some salary relief and a Leury Garcia ceiling type of player. What other pieces do we have that can result in getting the deals we saw over the offseason where we focused on young, exciting and talented ball players?

People have said Beckham looks better the past few days, we'll see if it's believable.

The Sox actually have a whole lot of potentially moveable guys. Alexei is at the top of the list but frankly should command a king's ransom - affordable, solid defense, veteran shortstops don't grow on trees.

Outside of that, there's a number of guys who have potential replacements or are blocked in the system. They're not going to bring studs back on their own, but if we're smart, we might be able to pile up 2-3 young, AAA-level relievers or back of the rotation starting pitchers and really remake the bullpen while still clearing guys out.

De Aza

Flowers

Gillaspie

Beckham

Dunn

All of those guys could be moved during the season to clear space.

We also have something of a minor league logjam forming in the middle infield, Semien, Sanchez, Leury, and Micah Johnson, with only 2b and SS between the two. If Sanchez keeps the hot streak he's currently on going, he could readily have solid numbers by the middle part of the season and someone could legitimately look at him as a solid option to fill an infield hole.