Will Sox be buyers, not sellers, at the trade deadline?

VAfan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
People have said Beckham looks better the past few days, we'll see if it's believable.

The Sox actually have a whole lot of potentially moveable guys. Alexei is at the top of the list but frankly should command a king's ransom - affordable, solid defense, veteran shortstops don't grow on trees.

Outside of that, there's a number of guys who have potential replacements or are blocked in the system. They're not going to bring studs back on their own, but if we're smart, we might be able to pile up 2-3 young, AAA-level relievers or back of the rotation starting pitchers and really remake the bullpen while still clearing guys out.

De Aza

Flowers

Gillaspie

Beckham

Dunn

All of those guys could be moved during the season to clear space.

We also have something of a minor league logjam forming in the middle infield, Semien, Sanchez, Leury, and Micah Johnson, with only 2b and SS between the two. If Sanchez keeps the hot streak he's currently on going, he could readily have solid numbers by the middle part of the season and someone could legitimately look at him as a solid option to fill an infield hole.

I definitely agree with this, even though it's obvious. I still would love to sign James Shields in the off season, and use these glut of infield prospects to acquire a catcher like Grandal. Reminder, with all the contracts expiring, I believe Sox will only be around 48 million in payroll next season.

If Hahn and the Sox are serious about competing next year and coming off a successful year this year, then I would love to sign Shields and Chris Davis. Protection for Abreu and our line up literally couldn't be stopped.

CF Eaton

2B Semien

1B/DH Abreu

1B/DH Davis

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

C Grandal

SS Ramirez

3B Davidson

Rotation

Sale

Shields

Quintana

Danks

Johnson/Rienzo/Carroll

Go big or go home.

Edited by SoxPride18

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:03 AM)
I definitely agree with this, even though it's obvious. I still would love to sign James Shields in the off season, and use these glut of infield prospects to acquire a catcher like Grandal. Reminder, with all the contracts expiring, I believe Sox will only be around 48 million in payroll next season.

I still think it's going to be difficult for the White Sox to put together a package for a high-demand player like Grandal because they don't have a lot of high-ceiling prospects at their higher levels right now. Even if their pitchers at AA turn things around in a few weeks that's still true. The guys who really might draw major interest as a centerpiece are guys like Danish, Tim Anderson, and they're at lower levels where they're not going to have the same value they would once they reach AA.

Most teams that are on the rebuilding side like the Astros and the Padres aren't going to be after "multiple average middle infield prospects", they're going to be pushing for a top flight guy in return to send cheap, high-demand talent out.

And I still am hesitant to say what exactly our needs will be in the offseason. Last week it looked like we were starved for pitching, but things are really changing quickly in terms of needs. If Rienzo can cover a back of the rotation slot and somehow Johnson finds whatever it was he's lost, then the rotation goes right back to looking full.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:10 AM)
I still think it's going to be difficult for the White Sox to put together a package for a high-demand player like Grandal because they don't have a lot of high-ceiling prospects at their higher levels right now. Even if their pitchers at AA turn things around in a few weeks that's still true. The guys who really might draw major interest as a centerpiece are guys like Danish, Tim Anderson, and they're at lower levels where they're not going to have the same value they would once they reach AA.

Most teams that are on the rebuilding side like the Astros and the Padres aren't going to be after "multiple average middle infield prospects", they're going to be pushing for a top flight guy in return to send cheap, high-demand talent out.

And I still am hesitant to say what exactly our needs will be in the offseason. Last week it looked like we were starved for pitching, but things are really changing quickly in terms of needs. If Rienzo can cover a back of the rotation slot and somehow Johnson finds whatever it was he's lost, then the rotation goes right back to looking full.

That is true, but if Hahn can manage to get Shields and Davis, then we wouldn't technically need Johnson. Rienzo, Carroll, Surkamp can all fill that #5 void. I think Erik Johnson, Carlos Sanchez, Trayce Thompson can net Grandal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
That is true, but if Hahn can manage to get Shields and Davis, then we wouldn't technically need Johnson. Rienzo, Carroll, Surkamp can all fill that #5 void. I think Erik Johnson, Carlos Sanchez, Trayce Thompson can net Grandal.

If I were the Padres...that's a fair deal for him but it's not the kind of deal I want. I want a clear top prospect, not a pile of mid-level guys.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)

If Hahn and the Sox are serious about competing next year and coming off a successful year this year, then I would love to sign Shields and Chris Davis. Protection for Abreu and our line up literally couldn't be stopped.

CF Eaton

2B Semien

1B/DH Abreu

1B/DH Davis

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

C Grandal

SS Ramirez

3B Davidson

Rotation

Sale

Shields

Quintana

Danks

Johnson/Rienzo/Carroll

Go big or go home.

I would hate giving up a 1st rounder to sign Shields.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
I'd be shocked if we werent sellers at the deadline. Adam Dunn could net us some serious value for the future alone.

Are you hearing this or just pure speculation? Would Alexei be in the same boat then considering the scarcity of good SS's?

We don't have much left to bargain with...

Beck? No. Thompson, not really. Any of our middle infielders? Well, nobody would want to deal Semien or Micah now.

That leaves Anderson, Hawkins and Danish, and you're selling quite low on Hawkins still coming off of 2013. Like trading Dayan or DeAza this past offseason, or Beckham, for that matter.

Davidson has to get things together, for one.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:10 AM)
Are you hearing this or just pure speculation? Would Alexei be in the same boat then considering the scarcity of good SS's?

part of the plan was hoping to deal some of the older players for younger talent and then spend money if/when they can actually contend.

Hahn is gonna do what he has told us all he is going to do, target young, up and coming, cost controlled. If he cannot get that, I dont think he makes any KW type "under the radar" moves.

If KW were still in charge, we would be hearing rumors he was sniffing around a RH starter, somewhere

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:21 AM)
part of the plan was hoping to deal some of the older players for younger talent and then spend money if/when they can actually contend.

Dunn? Alexei? Downs? Lindstrom all fit under that category? What would they want to spend that money on?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Dunn? Alexei? Downs? Lindstrom all fit under that category? What would they want to spend that money on?

A DH possibly as well possibly one of the top international free agents: Choi 3B and Despagine(if he defects) OF, Kenta Maeda RHP all come to mind.

looking at the wish list here, I really can not fathom where some of these ideas are coming from. T. Thompson will net us nothing,

until he can prove he a viable player. A. Dun is a great team player, but unless someone needs a lh hitter for the playoff, he will net

us next to nothing. I personally think we may do the trade as a favor to him. Carroll, a good story for a hard luck / injury laiden

player, what will he net us? we need to see him pitch more with more success before we start using him in any wish list.

Lindstrom and De Aza are the only ones that we may get something of value, but it will be based on their success in the coming months.

another player may be Viciedo, that is if he revert back to his batting stats.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:55 PM)
looking at the wish list here, I really can not fathom where some of these ideas are coming from. T. Thompson will net us nothing,

until he can prove he a viable player. A. Dun is a great team player, but unless someone needs a lh hitter for the playoff, he will net

us next to nothing. I personally think we may do the trade as a favor to him. Carroll, a good story for a hard luck / injury laiden

player, what will he net us? we need to see him pitch more with more success before we start using him in any wish list.

Lindstrom and De Aza are the only ones that we may get something of value, but it will be based on their success in the coming months.

another player may be Viciedo, that is if he revert back to his batting stats.

You're right, nobody is going to give up anything above a C level prospect for Dunn, Downs, Lindstrom. Alexei however and De Aza could possibly net a top 10 org guy, especially Alexei as he probably has a few 2-3 WAR type seasons left at SS, even if he's declining.

With the relative log jam the Sox have in the minors up the middle Ramirez is probably a likely trade candidate, given the return he could net is higher than most of the other tradeable Sox. I'm assuming they aren't going to trade Gillaspie or Viciedo, given their contracts, age and current production. You'd be hard pressed to get fair value back for either.

As for Dunn, I'd be very happy if the Sox could unload him in early July for a lottery ticket and pro-rated salary relief, which would be around 5-6 million I believe. If he continues to hit around an 900 OPS, that shouldn't be a problem, but that's a big if. Nobody wants the 220/330/450 version of Adam Dunn, not at his salary, even if it's only a rental.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 07:07 PM)
You're right, nobody is going to give up anything above a C level prospect for Dunn, Downs, Lindstrom. Alexei however and De Aza could possibly net a top 10 org guy, especially Alexei as he probably has a few 2-3 WAR type seasons left at SS, even if he's declining.

With the relative log jam the Sox have in the minors up the middle Ramirez is probably a likely trade candidate, given the return he could net is higher than most of the other tradeable Sox. I'm assuming they aren't going to trade Gillaspie or Viciedo, given their contracts, age and current production. You'd be hard pressed to get fair value back for either.

As for Dunn, I'd be very happy if the Sox could unload him in early July for a lottery ticket and pro-rated salary relief, which would be around 5-6 million I believe. If he continues to hit around an 900 OPS, that shouldn't be a problem, but that's a big if. Nobody wants the 220/330/450 version of Adam Dunn, not at his salary, even if it's only a rental.

I like what you wrote ..... but I disagree on Alexei and for 1 reason, he is a favorite of mine. I know I can't make an honest assessment

on him for that reason. However, I would like to unload Viciedo and b/c of his agent. lets get something now instead of next yr.

for trading prospects, I would be in favor of trading t. Anderson.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:18 PM)
I like what you wrote ..... but I disagree on Alexei and for 1 reason, he is a favorite of mine. I know I can't make an honest assessment

on him for that reason. However, I would like to unload Viciedo and b/c of his agent. lets get something now instead of next yr.

for trading prospects, I would be in favor of trading t. Anderson.

He's a fav of mine as well but reality is a mofo as he's aging, his range has declined noticeably the last few years (even if he's still a good glove at SS now that might change as soon as next year), and the Sox are relatively stocked in minors with up the middle prospects.

Will be sad to see him go but if he does it will be because Hahn thought it was the right move and so far Hahn has been pushing a lot of the right buttons.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 07:22 PM)
He's a fav of mine as well but reality is a mofo as he's aging, his range has declined noticeably the last few years (even if he's still a good glove at SS now that might change as soon as next year), and the Sox are relatively stocked in minors with up the middle prospects.

Will be sad to see him go but if he does it will be because Hahn thought it was the right move and so far Hahn has been pushing a lot of the right buttons.

without having inside info on the team, I believe he is the start of the vet experience and calming effect that is reinforce by Jose A.

screwing with chemisty is a bite.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:07 PM)

Like I said, outside of Alexei, those guys are cheap fillins who teams can use to cover up holes that appear on their roster during the year. I'm not expecting a lot back for them, but what I do think we could get back is AAA-level relievers who could really do a lot to strengthen our bullpen depth.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:40 PM)
Like I said, outside of Alexei, those guys are cheap fillins who teams can use to cover up holes that appear on their roster during the year. I'm not expecting a lot back for them, but what I do think we could get back is AAA-level relievers who could really do a lot to strengthen our bullpen depth.

I wonder if like a Scott Feldman-Pedro Strop deal would be in comparison to a guy like Dunn.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 09:58 PM)
Right but they aren't old. They'll be there next year, and probably better. Rather than gamble on on Jimenez/Santana, give up a draft pick and sink tens of millions into what so far has amounted to a 50/50 shot at being good (Santana solid, Jimenez disaster), they see what they actually need for next year.

Going into the year, there was reason to believe their SP prospects could have been ready. Hindsight is 20/20, but there was too much uncertainty to gamble the future.

They have such little pitching depth and such payroll flexibility that there's little chance that a free agent starter was gambling with the future. Putting stress on Sale to cover for a tired bullpen is really gambling the future.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
They have such little pitching depth and such payroll flexibility that there's little chance that a free agent starter was gambling with the future. Putting stress on Sale to cover for a tired bullpen is really gambling the future.

This team's management would put Sale out there until he was done every day anyway. We've seen that for 3 years in a row.