Will Sox be buyers, not sellers, at the trade deadline?

VAfan

Good lord, now people want to trade all of our prospects.

We're hot now, and still 1 game over .500. Even if we eek into the playoffs, we could be like the Indians - a hot team last year that will be lucky to play .500 this year.

We seriously lack pitching. And I know, Johnson is useless now because he wasn't successful the first month.

Trade the veterans, not the prospects.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
I'd be shocked if we werent sellers at the deadline. Adam Dunn could net us some serious value for the future alone.

If this is true, which I highly doubt, then trade Dunn for such value as soon as possible.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
part of the plan was hoping to deal some of the older players for younger talent and then spend money if/when they can actually contend.

What happens if they get hot and are actually in 1st place around the deadline?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)
You cross that bridge when you come to it

True. But right now I'm interested in wild speculation way too early in the season. Would they move a Dunn who's hitting well while they're sitting in 1st place at the all-star break?

True. But right now I'm interested in wild speculation way too early in the season. Would they move a Dunn who's hitting well while they're sitting in 1st place at the all-star break?

Regardless of position, the Sox have to listen to offers on Dunn, but the price now is a lot higher than it was a month ago.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:57 PM)

If they get a good return for him, I think they do.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 01:57 PM)

I would think not. If they're both in first and Dunn was having a good enough year that they'd consider moving him anyway, the fanbase would never forgive them for "white flagging" like that.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:03 PM)
IMO: low-end prospects for temporary fill-in upgrades, a la Youkilis/Liriano.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
I think the only way they will be buyers in the traditional sense is if it's with 2015 in mind. Perhaps a guy is available that they can trade for and keep away from someone in the Central.

But yeah, any other moves I think would be akin to Youkilis and Liriano from 2012.

Pretty sure you just copy everything I say. :)

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:04 PM)
I would think not. If they're both in first and Dunn was having a good enough year that they'd consider moving him anyway, the fanbase would never forgive them for "white flagging" like that.

As much as the fans have hated Dunn, they probably would forgive the Sox brass in this one case.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 07:40 PM)
Like I said, outside of Alexei, those guys are cheap fillins who teams can use to cover up holes that appear on their roster during the year. I'm not expecting a lot back for them, but what I do think we could get back is AAA-level relievers who could really do a lot to strengthen our bullpen depth.

making a trade for the sack of making a trade is not what the sox need. I believe that Hahn will listen, and will get the best results

but, I really don't think the value of the return is going to be good. I will be ok if we stay put let the season play out.

I will revisit this in the summer after the all star break.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:03 AM)
I definitely agree with this, even though it's obvious. I still would love to sign James Shields in the off season, and use these glut of infield prospects to acquire a catcher like Grandal. Reminder, with all the contracts expiring, I believe Sox will only be around 48 million in payroll next season.

Rotation

Sale

Shields

Quintana

Danks

Johnson/Rienzo/Carroll

Go big or go home.

Also the FA pitcher that I have my eye on - for a variety of reasons. He's get-able.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 02:40 PM)
What happens if they get hot and are actually in 1st place around the deadline?

They probably stand pat on a couple guys. But there needs to be a couple upgrades before this team has a true chance.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
I don't think he will. Teams have grown leery of giving out large contracts to older pitchers and Shields is 32 this year.

He can probably get 4 years and $80 million.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:39 PM)
He can probably get 4 years and $80 million.

does anyone remember Hahn or the sox org talking about the rebuilding stage. what, if any, were their ideas ? I know

getting Jose A may boost up their time-table in rebuilding.