Will Sox be buyers, not sellers, at the trade deadline?

VAfan

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)
Bull. Maybe he doesn't bring back a lot in a trade but he's certainly an asset to this team.

Not at $15-16 large, even tho he is hitting much better. Dunn, Konerko. Beckham, De Aza figure to be gone next year. Garcia will be back. I have no idea what they will do with Keppinger, but I don't see three guys in minors ready to take the place of the above three, so some trading action is inevitable. Lets hope Ravelo/Micah keep progressing, and that eaton, Semien, and Abreu don't have sophomore jinx next year.

From Rick Hahn today. Seems to support the thrust of my thread... (Lots of ifs in here - which I agree with. Sox have to continue hitting and playing well. But "if" they do, I expect us to be buyers, not sellers, at the deadline.)

If the White Sox continue to play impressive baseball as they have over the first 27 games this season, general manager Rick Hahn and the White Sox front office will have an important decision to make.

Their reshaping program that began last season was aimed at sustaining long-term success and winning multiple championships, not just providing a quick fix. But if Hahn's '14 squad proves to be a viable contender, not fool's gold with a hot start as Hahn discussed as a barometer during Spring Training, then the White Sox might have to part with some of that young nucleus to supplement a current playoff push.

It's a balancing act, according to Hahn, who truly appreciates how sacred the chances are to win World Series titles along with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and executive vice president Ken Williams.

"We are still very early in the season. We are still getting to know our own club," Hahn told MLB.com on Tuesday. "We are still dealing with some health issues, both ones we already have dealt with and others that inevitably will spring up. We are still getting to know the rest of the division and the league and what they will look like.

"Should we get to the point one month, two months from now, where we are in this thing and we are forcing the issue in terms of a chance to win, where we feel like we have a legitimate chance to win, we absolutely will look at ways to improve those chances in '14. Would we mortgage the future to do that? Probably not.

"It really is a balancing act," Hahn said. "You don't want to pass on a chance to win. They are sacred. At the same time, this is a long-term proposition we are trying to build here, sustain over an extended period, and we don't want to hamper our ability to do that."

Hahn believes that if the White Sox are in a position to conceivably win sooner than others expect, it will be because of the performance of players who will be with the White Sox for an extended period. He also believes the organization has positions of depth, where even if they aren't looking to move young players, those needed to bring back veteran commodities in return, they have the depth in those areas to fill in if the move is necessary.

As for having money to spend in July, the White Sox haven't gotten to that point yet.

"Let's put it this way," Hahn said. "Over my now entering 14 years here, when we've had a chance to win, there have been resources available to augment and improve those chances. We haven't had the conversation yet in terms of how much we would need economically much less where exactly we would spend it."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
Believing in resigning Dunn stops your entire post from being realistic. Adam Dunn has no spot in this organization past this summer.

Maybe yes and maybe no.

But it's no less realistic than the idea of signing Chris Davis from the O's as a free agent. That's a total pipe dream.

The way I look at it is:

1. The Sox are going to need a left handed power bat next year.

2. They don't have anyone on their team (other than Dunn) or in the minors who can possibly fill that void next year.

3. That means they will need to get someone.

4. What are the options going to be? Give me 3 names more likely than Dunn who are lefty power hitters, ready to play DH all year, with better numbers than Dunn puts up by the end of this season. Obviously, no one can fill that in yet, because there are unknown variables in there.

I'm just putting it out there that Adam Dunn is going to be one of those possibilities. Gag and wretch if you want. I've done plenty of that myself watching Dunn these last few years. I just think the Sox don't look at Dunn as the 2011 version.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:55 PM)
the sox should be selling high on a resurgent Dunn and Ramirez if it brings back a solid return. Its always better to trade a year to early than a year to late and if Alexei is on pace for a 3.5-4WAR season there is no better time than cash in the chips with him, Especially with the log jam of MI prospects behind him.

Ramirez is only 32. At the moment, he's the second best SS in MLB, behind only Tulowitski. No one you mentioned can replace his value.

The Sox should certainly develop the player who will take Ramirez's slot when he's done playing at a high level, but that's likely to take the very years that Ramirez is still signed for.

The Sox have always wanted to contend for the playoffs while they rebuild. With Ramirez, they can. Without him, they can't.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 01:24 AM)
I would trade Adam done tomorrow if we could. His numbers are only going to drop.

Maybe the Sox beat writers could quote some anonymous scout sources and find out if Dunn has any value as far as a possible trade. My guess is a big fat NO. What team would trade for Adam Dunn unless the Sox pay for the rest of the deal? It makes no sense after his body of work on the south side. The GM would have to be nuts IMO.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)
Maybe yes and maybe no.

But it's no less realistic than the idea of signing Chris Davis from the O's as a free agent. That's a total pipe dream.

The way I look at it is:

1. The Sox are going to need a left handed power bat next year.

2. They don't have anyone on their team (other than Dunn) or in the minors who can possibly fill that void next year.

3. That means they will need to get someone.

4. What are the options going to be? Give me 3 names more likely than Dunn who are lefty power hitters, ready to play DH all year, with better numbers than Dunn puts up by the end of this season. Obviously, no one can fill that in yet, because there are unknown variables in there.

I'm just putting it out there that Adam Dunn is going to be one of those possibilities. Gag and wretch if you want. I've done plenty of that myself watching Dunn these last few years. I just think the Sox don't look at Dunn as the 2011 version.

The usual list of names.

Rasmus, and rearranging the outfield alignment again, possibly. Off to a slow start, hard to get a read on him and his value.

Victor Martinez

LaRoche

Kendrys Morales

Melky Cabrera (which one is the real version you can count/rely upon)?

Adam Lind

I'm going to post, and haven't read the previous 11 pages, so apologies if I repeat anything or whatever. But I think we'll see a similar approach to last season's deadline, only without the big names. Dunn is gone. Beckham is gone. Lindstrom is gone. Get whatever ready or near-ready talent in return you can. Likely guys that could compete for a spot in the 2015 bullpen.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 06:12 PM)
Saying Shields won't get a $100 million contract because Santana didn't get one is ridiculous. Santana hasn't been the model for consistency that Shields has been. Santana isn't close to Shields.

I like Shields but I wouldn't sign him I don't think because of his age.

That's not what I meant.

I was trying to point out that teams are getting smarter in terms of the contracts they're giving pitchers. It wasn't meant to be a comparison of Santana and Shields.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)
Maybe the Sox beat writers could quote some anonymous scout sources and find out if Dunn has any value as far as a possible trade. My guess is a big fat NO. What team would trade for Adam Dunn unless the Sox pay for the rest of the deal? It makes no sense after his body of work on the south side. The GM would have to be nuts IMO.

It's been a month now and he's still hitting .280. If he keeps it up any team in need of a DH/1B would love to have him. His previous body of work be damned some team is gonna believe they can get this version of Dunn for a few months down the stretch. Dunn is currently 6th in OPS for 1B/DH.

We've praised Steverson for other guys, but I feel like that same praise hasn't spread over to what he's Dunn with Dunn.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)

If Dunn continues to hit well and has an average around .250 near the deadline, there will be teams asking about him. If there is a team in need of a left-handed power bat for the rest of the season for about $6 million, he'll be traded. Don't worry about his previous body of work. What teams will be looking at is his body of work in 2014. Besides, in 2012 and 2013 he hit 75 HRs and knocked in 182 runs.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
If Dunn continues to hit well and has an average around .250 near the deadline, there will be teams asking about him. If there is a team in need of a left-handed power bat for the rest of the season for about $6 million, he'll be traded. Don't worry about his previous body of work. What teams will be looking at is his body of work in 2014. Besides, in 2012 and 2013 he hit 75 HRs and knocked in 182 runs.

Trading Dunn for the sake of trading him and expecting a lot of value is what I was discussing. you are right is how you

are thinking. To say lets trade this player or that and build the farm, is where, at least for me, a problem.

the season needs to play itself out, however lets see where we are and the value of the player is to a) the other team and

b) the value he has to our team.

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 07:55 PM)
the sox should be selling high on a resurgent Dunn and Ramirez if it brings back a solid return. Its always better to trade a year to early than a year to late and if Alexei is on pace for a 3.5-4WAR season there is no better time than cash in the chips with him, Especially with the log jam of MI prospects behind him.

This is crazy talk. If the team is in a position to make the playoffs and then they traded all of their assets, no one would go to the games after July 31st and the season ticket renewals would continue to decrease. At some point in time, you just have to bite the bullet and keep guys, even if you could get good returns for them. You just don't sell the farm this year for an upgrade.

Frankly, this team is a lot of fun right now, but it just doesn't seem that they are going to be competitive in July. I think the offense will hit a wall eventually and they'll lose a few games. But, if they're 5-10 games over .500 come the end of July, selling really will not be an option.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 03:12 PM)
This is crazy talk. If the team is in a position to make the playoffs and then they traded all of their assets, no one would go to the games after July 31st and the season ticket renewals would continue to decrease. At some point in time, you just have to bite the bullet and keep guys, even if you could get good returns for them. You just don't sell the farm this year for an upgrade.

Frankly, this team is a lot of fun right now, but it just doesn't seem that they are going to be competitive in July. I think the offense will hit a wall eventually and they'll lose a few games. But, if they're 5-10 games over .500 come the end of July, selling really will not be an option.

Great point, lets be honest ...... who would've thought that this team would have done 1/2 as good ?

this team to really fun and I hate it that I do not live in chi, so I can go the games. yeah, they might hit that wall and like Hahn

said, if they are close, they have players to be buyers at the trade deadline. we do have a logjam with potential

infielders to do something.

good or bad, its going to be a good to great yr.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
But, if they're 5-10 games over .500 come the end of July, selling really will not be an option.

The offense has been great but they still are on a course to finish 5-10 games under .500. After last season, that would be a solid improvement. If Sale returns but the offense goes south then we are probably looking at 10-15 under and that would be disappointing.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)
The offense has been great but they still are on a course to finish 5-10 games under .500. After last season, that would be a solid improvement. If Sale returns but the offense goes south then we are probably looking at 10-15 under and that would be disappointing.

We have no idea what we are looking at because it's May 1st. There is a ton of season left to play, and frankly, both the offense and pitching/defense should get back to where it should be. I view this team as a .500 team.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:57 PM)

We did have one of the toughest April schedules and we have a much easier one in May. I expect to finish the month above .500 barring any injuries.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
We did have one of the toughest April schedules and we have a much easier one in May. I expect to finish the month above .500 barring any injuries.

You never know how it will turn out, but the April schedule was pretty tough. The Sox did have to use 9 starters, and lost their best starter for a couple of starts. They went through a stretch where their bullpen couldn't have been worse. They weathered a 1-25 from Abreu. There is reason for some optimism.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:28 AM)
We have no idea what we are looking at because it's May 1st. There is a ton of season left to play, and frankly, both the offense and pitching/defense should get back to where it should be. I view this team as a .500 team.

A month from now we could be calling Jose Abreu, Jose Shelton.

But I do agree that this should be about a .500 team. I said it before the season started, and I will say it again. I might be willing to push the total to 85, just because the chemistry seems to be way ahead of where I thought it would be, but that is about it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
You never know how it will turn out, but the April schedule was pretty tough. The Sox did have to use 9 starters, and lost their best starter for a couple of starts. They went through a stretch where their bullpen couldn't have been worse. They weathered a 1-25 from Abreu. There is reason for some optimism.

They also have three of the most unlikely guys ever hitting around .350. I think it all comes out in the wash.

Personally, I don't see any reason why this team should lose any more games this year. And because I think they'll win out, I don't think they'll be buyers at the deadline because why would they need anything if they just won like 60 games in a row? In fact, they'll likely need to sell off excess talent.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 1, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Personally, I don't see any reason why this team should lose any more games this year. And because I think they'll win out, I don't think they'll be buyers at the deadline because why would they need anything if they just won like 60 games in a row? In fact, they'll likely need to sell off excess talent.

I can't argue with this logic.