Nik Turley, worth picking up?

GGajewski18

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 35m

Source says #Yankees surprising release of prospect Nik Turley likely the result of a roster crunch. Turley not seriously injured.

Nik Turley, now a free agent, is a "couple of weeks away" from full health. Expect him to get picked up.

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 33m

Turley, a LHP, was #Yankees 14th best prospect after 2012 season. Was 11-8 with a 3.88 ERA in 27 starts at AA Trenton last year.

Worth picking up?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 28, 2014 -> 10:09 PM)

Source says #Yankees surprising release of prospect Nik Turley likely the result of a roster crunch. Turley not seriously injured.

Nik Turley, now a free agent, is a "couple of weeks away" from full health. Expect him to get picked up.

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 33m

Turley, a LHP, was #Yankees 14th best prospect after 2012 season. Was 11-8 with a 3.88 ERA in 27 starts at AA Trenton last year.

Worth picking up?

Next Jose Quintana?

24-year-old, 6'4 LHP.

"Listed at 6'4" and weighing in at 195 pounds, Turley is a large dude. Despite his size, Turley isn't considered a power pitcher, with his fastball averaging between 88-92 mph. He takes advantage of his size by pitching downhill and keeping the ball low in the strike zone. He also throws a curveball, which he can "throw for strikes or bury in the dirt," though Turley needs to work on his command. Additionally, Turley features a changeup which scouts say could be a good "out" pitch."

Videos - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...c.1.TNtCeEVSiSw

Looking at his numbers, he appears to be a high strikeout, low HR-rate guy who has trouble with command. He profiles better as a reliever where he can dial it up to 94-95, but if he can tune up his command and maybe add another pitch, he may be able to stick around in a rotation.

In conclusion, I think he would be a nice pickup to at least throw in AA and give him a quick promotion to Charlotte if it works out.

QUOTE (LDF @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 05:59 AM)
do the sox have room on the 40 squad ??? how is it done, we had him to the protected list. do we need to keep him up on the

major league ???

He got outright released I believe. I'd like the Sox sign him to a minor league deal after he's healthy and send him to AAA.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
I have the understanding that waivers are the prior year's standings until May. I may be wrong, but I haven't had coffee so I am too lazy to look it up.

The article is from 2009, but it would appear you are correct.

http://www.purplerow.com/2009/2/19/762532/...tions-part-thre

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
Hope we sign him.

As do I, great guy too, I saw him when he was in single-A and was talking to him a little, at the time he wasn't a prospect but the following year he shot up the charts, I'm just curious as to why he got released over any bum with a 8.00 ERA in AA as a 28 year old? I'll never fully get this business