Is Adam Dunn necessarily a goner after this year?

VAfan

Here's a post to try to win "Mr. Popularity" on this site -- NOT -- LOL!!

I've already posted a thread about how I think the Sox may be buyers, not sellers, at the deadline this year. It depends on them still being within range of contending for a playoff appearance this season. And with the tight AL Central and the Sox new offense, that seems very possible.

So I thought I'd double down on a bit of counter-thinking, by suggesting that Adam Dunn might be back next year on a more reasonable contract -- something like $8-10 million -- for a shorter period -- like 2 years. (If the Sox could get him for less than that, it would be even more likely that he'd return.)

My thinking is this:

1. The Sox will need a lefty power bat to support this new offense.

2. Other than Dunn, the Sox do not have a lefty power bat on the team or in their system who could step in next year.

3. Who else is going to be available to fill this void? The player has to be a proven DH, better than Dunn, or close to Dunn and cheaper, who is willing to sign with the Sox.

As much as we've all hated Adam Dunn, he's not hitting like 2011 any more. This year, he's putting up a line very similar to the ones he put up in Washington in 2009 and 2010, which caused the Sox to sign him in the first place.

At this point, there are too many ifs to draw a reasonable bead on this situation.

A. We don't know how well Dunn is going to hit over the rest of the year.

B. We don't know who else might be available as a free agent lefty DH (or left fielder, if Viciedo is moved to DH).

C. We don't know if the Sox will play well enough over the rest of the year to make having a short-term power hitting lefty DH make sense.

But it's still a worthy topic of debate.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating for the Sox to keep Dunn. I'd rather have a better alternative. I'm just not sure the Sox are done with Dunn (any more than they were done with Konerko after last year).

Edited by VAfan

What about Billy Butler for DH. If he continues this lousy year, sign him 3 years 8 million a year. Have Butler DH and Abreu remain at first. He has a 12.5 million club option for next year which the Royals are too cheap to match.

Edited by greg775

I'm thinking the Sox deal Dunn at the deadline for whatever they can get (which could actually wind up being something of moderate value) and Viciedo winds up taking of the DH role. Not sure who will fill in RF until next season, but I think this is the most likely scenario for 2014.

For what it's worth, I felt that way prior to tonight's game. Tank has looked a lot better at the plate, and for the time they've invested in him already, they may as well use half a season to see if he adapts well to a DH role, and go from there. He obviously doesn't have a future home at 1B anymore, isn't a viable long-term (or even short-term) corner OF on a contender, and might benefit from keeping his focus 100% on his plate approach.

I've been one of Dunns biggest supporters here and even I feel like he should be dealt at the deadline. Not because I think he's a detriment to the team but because of the value(if he continues to hit like this) he could potentially bring would be nice.

I kinda doubt he'll continue to hit .280 but even if he's in the .240-260 range, a range that got him 15 mill a year, will take a chance on giving up something valuable for him.

If they find themselves in a position where they could use his bat in the offseason they could just resign him for a year....DH position should really go to Tank next year though.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)
What about Billy Butler for DH. If he continues this lousy year, sign him 3 years 8 million a year. Have Butler DH and Abreu remain at first. He has a 12.5 million club option for next year which the Royals are too cheap to match.

I've always liked Butler (hated to see him hit against the Sox, but liked his approach). But, I would think the Sox will be looking for a left-handed power bat. I would imagine they'd look for an outfielder and have Viciedo DH or try to find a DH.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Apr 29, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)
I'm thinking the Sox deal Dunn at the deadline for whatever they can get (which could actually wind up being something of moderate value) and Viciedo winds up taking of the DH role. Not sure who will fill in RF until next season, but I think this is the most likely scenario for 2014.

For what it's worth, I felt that way prior to tonight's game. Tank has looked a lot better at the plate, and for the time they've invested in him already, they may as well use half a season to see if he adapts well to a DH role, and go from there. He obviously doesn't have a future home at 1B anymore, isn't a viable long-term (or even short-term) corner OF on a contender, and might benefit from keeping his focus 100% on his plate approach.

I like this idea.

They can even have the DH role rotating between a number of players.

Getting extra rest for guys while keeping them still sharp in the box.

Not unlike what Ozzie wanted when he dropped Thome.

QUOTE (black jack @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 06:30 AM)
I like this idea.

They can even have the DH role rotating between a number of players.

Getting extra rest for guys while keeping them still sharp in the box.

Not unlike what Ozzie wanted when he dropped Thome.

And just how well did that rotating DH work out for us? Might have cost us the division. Nearly every player that you hear talk about DHing says it's not as nearly as easy as people think. You can't just plug somebody in and expect them to adapt and succeed.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)
And just how well did that rotating DH work out for us? Might have cost us the division. Nearly every player that you hear talk about DHing says it's not as nearly as easy as people think. You can't just plug somebody in and expect them to adapt and succeed.

Many teams have success with the rotating DH strategy. The key is to not have Mark Kotsay involved in anyway

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 07:01 AM)

The idea is sound, it was the lack of talent in the DH rotation that was the problem. You can "rest" a player while keeping him in the lineup. Tank could play first one day, left another, right once, and still DH three times a week while keeping Abreu, Garcia, and whoever is in left fresh. It also keeps Tank "trained" in case he has to cover an injury.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 30, 2014 -> 12:19 AM)

The Royals will absolutely be picking that option up unless Butler destroys his body somehow in the next few months.

BTW -- not sure many responses understood I'm not pushing for Dunn to be back.

It's more like a warning -- get ready guys, because not only is he not likely to be dumped at the trade deadline (Sox will have to be out of playoff chances by then) -- but given the likely limited options for LH power DH/LF free agent bats who would sign with the Sox next year, Dunn is very likely to remain one of those options.

Sure, Viciedo might be a better DH option. But then the Sox would need a LH power-hitting free agent left fielder ready to sign with them.

Going into next year, the Sox are overloaded with right handers: Abreu, Ramirez, Viciedo (assuming he beats out DeAza), Garcia, Semien (assuming Beckham is dealt), Flowers (assuming he continues to hit reasonably well), and Davidson (if he overtakes Gillaspie).

We have only one certain LH bat in the lineup - Adam Eaton.

That leaves DH/LF. It HAS to be a LH power bat. Even if Gillaspie is kept on in a part time role, the Sox have to have a power lefty.

I'm just saying that Dunn is going to be in the mix. Not that I want it. I just think it's very likely.

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ May 1, 2014 -> 04:44 PM)
Tank has to be the DH after this year, he's been a disaster in RF. We need to sign a left handed power hitting out fielder in the off season. Let some one else take a chance on Dunn.

Of course he has been. He hasn't played in RF in >2 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 1, 2014 -> 08:53 PM)
Of course he has been. He hasn't played in RF in >2 years.

yeah.... he wasn't that good of an outfielder period. I think it was always understood he was going to be the next dh.