Noesi probably starting Tue

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 6m

Ventura unsure of Tuesday's starter at Wrigley Field, but right now it looks like Hector Noesi

atsa no gouda

That was tee-ball after the 3rd inning Weds.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

The guy can't be sent down to stretch his arm out without passing him through waivers. The only way to stretch his arm out to starting innings is to work him a few times as a starter to build up his arm. It's the right move.

He showed some real good signs last time out. I wouldn't mind giving him another start if he looks decent again, but it's certainly something I'd look at on a start-by-start basis

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2014 -> 05:59 PM)
The guy can't be sent down to stretch his arm out without passing him through waivers. The only way to stretch his arm out to starting innings is to work him a few times as a starter to build up his arm. It's the right move.

This.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 2, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
Nothing like bullpen days against probably your two biggest rivals.

Remember when the Cubs series actually mattered? Years ago I would have been pissed that Noesi is starting. Now? Whatever.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 2, 2014 -> 09:59 PM)

No. You can't stretch out a guy at the major league level or else you stretch out your bullpen. You especially can't do this when the rest of your rotation is terrible and the bullpen is being stretched out too often. You especially especially cannot do this when your bullpen is thin too and now we start risking injuries on their arms as well. It can work once in a blue moon followed by an off day (see the last start) but not when you play 8 games in a row. So obviously won't work today. I don't have much confidence in Ventura but even he will make the right move here.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 2, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
No. You can't stretch out a guy at the major league level or else you stretch out your bullpen. You especially can't do this when the rest of your rotation is terrible and the bullpen is being stretched out too often. You especially especially cannot do this when your bullpen is thin too and now we start risking injuries on their arms as well. It can work once in a blue moon followed by an off day (see the last start) but not when you play 8 games in a row. So obviously won't work today. I don't have much confidence in Ventura but even he will make the right move here.

Is it a better move for the club to win some games in the short term or have someone they think can be a starter for the long term?

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:50 PM)
Is it a better move for the club to win some games in the short term or have someone they think can be a starter for the long term?

More like

Is it a better move to win some games now as well as win some games later, or risk injury on several different arms on a guy they they may or may not actually want to be a starter and have other means to do that anyways?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 2, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)

Welcome to rebuilding where none of this actually matters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2014 -> 01:59 AM)
90% of that bullpen is transients who won't be on the roster when this team matters.

Yet Petricka and Webb have been asked to go long in games. Another thing is that by destroying your bullpen with these type of games, it could put unnecessary stress on the arms of other starters because they have to go longer due to a banged-up bullpen.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 2, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
Remember when the Cubs series actually mattered? Years ago I would have been pissed that Noesi is starting. Now? Whatever.

With all do respect, I hope you are only speaking for yourself. It matters to me. I hate just giving the Cubs a game.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 3, 2014 -> 04:29 AM)
The Cubs are just a team on the schedule. The word "rivalry" shouldn't exist in baseball.

It's Chicago vs. Chicago. What are you talking about? Why shouldn't it be a rivalry? Sports are supposed to be fun and these games should mean a lot to competitors. I realize most of the big leaguers could give a s***, though. They are too busy counting their money and checking their investments.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 2, 2014 -> 10:27 PM)
With all do respect, I hope you are only speaking for yourself. It matters to me. I hate just giving the Cubs a game.

It doesn't really matter to most people on both sides of town. That will change in the future, but that's the current state of baseball in the city.