5/4 Games

flavum

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Time to release Mitchell Boggs. Gave it the old college try, but has to be demoralizing for his Charlotte teammates. He's screwed up a bunch of their games.

At least the only damage is on the farm, but enough already.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 4, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Time to release Mitchell Boggs. Gave it the old college try, but has to be demoralizing for his Charlotte teammates. He's screwed up a bunch of their games.

At least the only damage is on the farm, but enough already.

100% agree. He's just done.

28 RBI's for Hawkins, .291 for the year.

Saladino coming back to earth for Charlotte, as expected.

And Jared Mitchell must be in his very last few weeks in the White Sox organization. Time to move on for both sides. Almost to that point with Keenyn Walker.

Keppinger 4/9 so far in BIRM. Actually think it will be nice to get some veteran stability back in Chicago on the bench if he's 100% healthy. Garcia can play everyday in Charlotte and work on his versatility and hitting.

They need to decide whether to play Semien or Sanchez at SS, with Saladino and Leury playing all over the field, DH, OF, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

I'm not a huge proponent of rushing prospects (although I thought challenging Hawkins last year was the right move), but I don't see any reason to keep Danish in Low-A Ball anymore. It doesn't appear that the hitters in the SAL really pose a challenge to him, his 1.00 WHIP and 2.0 GO/AO this season suggest that he's breezing through most of the lineups he's facing now. It'll be an interesting choice for the Sox to make when Montas comes back, it'd be a great opportunity to promote Danish and see what he can do in the Carolina League.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 4, 2014 -> 08:08 PM)
I'm not a huge proponent of rushing prospects (although I thought challenging Hawkins last year was the right move), but I don't see any reason to keep Danish in Low-A Ball anymore. It doesn't appear that the hitters in the SAL really pose a challenge to him, his 1.00 WHIP and 2.0 GO/AO this season suggest that he's breeze through most of the lineups he's facing now. It'll be interesting an interesting choice for the Sox to make when Montas comes back, it'd be a great opportunity to promote Danish and see what he can do in the Carolina League.

I believe that Montas will start tomorrow.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 4, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
Danish did not throw "ball two" to a hitter until he walked the leadoff hitter in the 5th inning. He was relentlessly attacking the zone.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2014/...ses-once-again/

5/4 Recap including a blurb on Danish.

Nice recap. Danish is 19, though, not 18.

Also zero XBH allowed since 1st inning on April 15. 4 starts. Lets see what Carolina League hitters can do.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2014 -> 08:12 PM)
I believe that Montas will start tomorrow.

Good news. Hope to see Bassitt as well, soon, and Lopez not far behind.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

I'd be good with Danish moving up relatively soon, but I think you need to be very careful with innings load. And you certainly don't need to be in a rush with him.

The more I see video, and hear about some softer velocity numbers, the more concerned I am about Danish's ability to remain a starter. It is possible they are telling him to keep it dialed back, given this will be his first full season or pro ball, but it still concerns me when that means throwing 86-90 most of the time on his fastball. And his motion is so arm-heavy. Can he be a RH Buehrle? He doesn't have nearly the broad pitch set for that yet, nor does he have an easy, low-effort motion. I dunno, I think people may just be getting a little too exicted about him right now.

Wendelken is struggling with being a starter, his velocity drops during games in a significant way, per a report from yesterday. Goldberg has already been moved back to the pen, likely making room for Montas. Wendelken may need to do the same if his arm can't handle starting innings.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 5, 2014 -> 08:11 AM)
I'd be good with Danish moving up relatively soon, but I think you need to be very careful with innings load. And you certainly don't need to be in a rush with him.

The more I see video, and hear about some softer velocity numbers, the more concerned I am about Danish's ability to remain a starter. It is possible they are telling him to keep it dialed back, given this will be his first full season or pro ball, but it still concerns me when that means throwing 86-90 most of the time on his fastball. And his motion is so arm-heavy. Can he be a RH Buehrle? He doesn't have nearly the broad pitch set for that yet, nor does he have an easy, low-effort motion. I dunno, I think people may just be getting a little too exicted about him right now.

Wendelken is struggling with being a starter, his velocity drops during games in a significant way, per a report from yesterday. Goldberg has already been moved back to the pen, likely making room for Montas. Wendelken may need to do the same if his arm can't handle starting innings.

It's hard to not look at his numbers (this year and last year) and not get a little excited. But you are definitely right that we need to temper the expectations a bit. I think if Danish can turn out to be a guy like Derek Lowe, that would be great and probably is Danish's ceiling. I think he is more Lowe than Peavy. Peavy really had elite stuff early on in his career, which Danish does not seem to have. Lowe never really throw that hard he just had that dynamic sinker in the high 80s, low 90s that was a groundball machine. And he complimented the sinker with solid offerings.

Edited by maggsmaggs

He's super young, so we'll see how the body develops. He could gain a tick or two without any further effort when he fills out.

But I'm not worried about his velocity, only his health. And ceiling projections are silly, frankly.

Dane.jpg

kinda remind you of the mirror image of someone else we know?

Right now, without doing a ton of research (with Abreu, Semien, EJ, Webb all graduating), I'd probably go with these guys above Danish...

Anderson

Davidson

M Johnson

Hawkins

Thompson

Sanchez

Ravelo

Possibly Beck also, but I think I'd have to give the nod to Danish. I guess more so than 8-10, I'd go 7-9 range, now that I look at it. This comes from the fact that I think he's either 4-ish starter, or a setup reliever, depending on how his body holds up. And I see a significant chance it doesn't hold up.

Weird how much the system has changed in a short period - that is 7 position players before I'd feel comfortable putting in a pitcher.

Caveat - this can change a lot between now and the next list (July/August), and in fact their first draft pick will almost assuredly be #1, and their 2nd round guy may even break into the top 10.