Gillaspie coming off of DL?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
How many wins is Semien responsible for? He's a breath of fresh air this season for this team.

I dunno maybe if he had an OPS over 600 we wouldn't need some many late heroics. He's hardly tearing it up to the point where you can't send him down. His defense isn't exactly lights out either. Abreu bailed him out last night.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
I said if Semien gets sent down it is one of my saddest days ever as a Sox fan. He belongs right now. You can see it despite his batting average. He's got so many clutch hits. He does not deserve to be in the minor leagues. Trade Keppinger for a bag of balls. Trade Beckham for a bag of balls. Get rid of DeAza. Keep Semien.

That is patently absurd. That might be the most insane thing I have ever seen posted on Soxtalk, ever.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
That is patently absurd. That might be the most insane thing I have ever seen posted on Soxtalk, ever.

That post is Howard the Duck. It is the Plan 9 From Outer Space of posts.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 07:50 PM)

That is saying a lot too. But, I can't disagree with you.

I knew the chance of Danks being outrighted was there but I am a bit surprised considering he at least brings good D to the table and he has speed. I guess hitting lefty is not that important with ??? and Vicideo and Eaton when he is healthy getting the majority of playing time. Eaton is LH and so is De Aza, who can platoon. I think picking up Sierra blocks some moves as they obviously don't want to just give up on him right away.

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ May 7, 2014 -> 08:23 PM)
I'd like to see Semien down in AAA, playing everyday at 1 position. He didn't spend a lot of time there last year and at times he looks completely overwhelmed at the plate in the big leagues. Why is the organization so against letting him mature and improve in AAA?

Semien turns 24 in September. He's shown enough big-league skills to warrant being in the big leagues. I don't think my post is ridiculous either. Who would you rather have? Semien or DeAza? Semien or Kepp? Semien or Beckham. Yes I'd dump any one of those guys for a bag of balls to keep Semien. What do you guys think Beckham, Kepp and DeAza are worth?? Not much on the trade market, basically nothing.

Edited by greg775

I knew the chance of Danks being outrighted was there but I am a bit surprised considering he at least brings good D to the table and he has speed. I guess hitting lefty is not that important with ??? and Vicideo and Eaton when he is healthy getting the majority of playing time. Eaton is LH and so is De Aza, who can platoon. I think picking up Sierra blocks some moves as they obviously don't want to just give up on him right away.

Danks didn't need to be outrighted, he was optioned, and I think that's the big reason why he went down instead of Sierra. They can send Danks to AAA but Sierra would have to go on waivers and may not make it through.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)
Semien turns 24 in September. He's shown enough big-league skills to warrant being in the big leagues. I don't think my post is ridiculous either. Who would you rather have? Semien or DeAza? Semien or Kepp? Semien or Beckham. Yes I'd dump any one of those guys for a bag of balls to keep Semien. What do you guys think Beckham, Kepp and DeAza are worth?? Not much on the trade market, basically nothing.

Saddest day ever? Greg, he isn't getting waived or anything. He'll be back up for good later this year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2014 -> 03:45 PM)

I mean, that goes without saying.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2014 -> 03:51 PM)
I think I posed some good questions there. Pls answer them.

It's hard to grapple with a premise like the one you're putting forth. It's like in an area argumentation has no ability to reach

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 7, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
Couched in an absurd statement, any question is ruined.

I don't know what's so absurd about saying it would be one of my saddest days as a White Sox fan if he is sent down after bashing four game-winning hits in a month and a week. It's how I feel.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)
I don't know what's so absurd about saying it would be one of my saddest days as a White Sox fan if he is sent down after bashing four game-winning hits in a month and a week. It's how I feel.

Unless you have been a White Sox fan for a week, your standards are absurd for "sad". I'm about a million times sadder that Chris Sale is on the DL, or any of the three times he has been hurt, than Marcus Semien might go to Charlotte.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2014 -> 04:12 PM)

Sending a guy down whose hitting has been meh overall at best, and who is still young and can use the development, and who will be back soon anyway... is among your worst days every as a Sox fan? Come on, you cannot possibly be serious.

If you had said you'd rather they kept Semien, you can make a good argument for that. It is your hyperbole that gets laughed at.

Also semien struck out a ton in the minors. so, while 'starting 2b' or something is a possible end result for him, it is by no means out of the realm of possibility that we have a utility guy here that just happens to have some pop.

As far as his clutchness, lets remember that bad hitters want runners on base. runners being on base make them more successful hitters. when these guys dont have runners on base.. then you tend to see their...unvarnished..suckage

Whether a guy has been clutch in the end means nothing as far what he'll do in the future. Do you want Craig Counsell in the bottom of ninth of Game 7, because he has done it before? Or do you want Joe Mauer, who has never been there before? Obviously you want a talented guy over a guy who has-been-clutch. What Semien did is great, but it doesnt say anything about who he is. It is just some stuff-that-he-did.

When he changes fully what kind of hitter he is, i am awaiting him w/ open arms. but he has not done that. he just got some hits here and there basically.

runners on: .799 OPS

No runners on: .440 OPS

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 7, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
I'd rather see Semien work through his struggles in the majors, but I don't expect SS2K and the Beckham fan club to agree. They're pretty emotionally invested in him.

By sending him down you actually get more future Semien, as his free agency would be delayed a year if he spends another 1.5 months in the minors.

Meanwhile i want Beckham playing,and i am really no fan. I want him producing for a bit so we can ship the guy out, as that is basically something that needs to happen based on what he costs/what he gives. He's too costly to be glove-only 2b.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 7, 2014 -> 04:33 PM)
By sending him down you actually get more future Semien, as his free agency would be delayed a year if he spends another 1.5 months in the minors.

Meanwhile i want Beckham playing,and i am really no fan. I want him producing for a bit so we can ship the guy out, as that is basically something that needs to happen based on what he costs/what he gives. He's too costly to be glove-only 2b.

I didn't know about his arbitration status. That changes things.