Jose Abreu on SI Cover

Jose Abreu

I like the excerpt about Despaigne at the bottom of the article.

Now that Abreu, Puig and Cespedes are thriving in the U.S., there remains one Cuban slugger for whom everyone is waiting. He is Alfredo Despaigne, who set the Serie Nacional's home-run record with 32 in 2008-09, lost it to Abreu and Cespedes two seasons later (when both hit 33), but reclaimed it with 36 in 2012 (when Abreu had 35). Despaigne stands just 5-8, some seven inches shorter than Abreu, but he is every bit as powerful, and thanks to his former teammate's precedent, will likely become an even richer man if he decides to come to the United States.

"I don't know, and I don't really ask him about it, as that's a touchy subject," Abreu said when asked whether he thinks Despaigne might follow his path. "But I support him in whatever he needs. We stay in touch. If he needs bats or anything, I support him with that. It was a great experience, those years when we were going back and forth with the home run record. We made a great friendship out of that."

The Cuban government is currently permitting the 27-year-old Despaigne to play with Campeche of the Mexican League, and there remains the chance that he will never endeavor to reach the United States. If he does get to America, though, he could become the first $100 million Cuban. And if anyone demeans his bat speed, it won't give his pursuers any pause at all.

Honestly Despaigne will be 28 in mid June, I doubt he breaks 100 million but i could see a bump up in AAV from Abreu's contract with less years. Here is hoping that the sox land him if he chooses to defect. Having Abreu with his relationship and the rest of the cubans on this team could continue to be a huge selling point. Even more so if we're able to trade for Grandal and we pick up Rodon at #3 in a few weeks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
Three nicknames for Abreu.

Pito, which comes from his favorite uncle.

Oso, the Spanish word for bear.

Jose Daniel.

His middle name is Dariel, not Daniel.

And Hawk seems to like El Cañón

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:55 PM)
His middle name is Dariel, not Daniel.

And Hawk seems to like El Cañón

Okay, then I blame that on poor Spanish pronunciation by one of the Sox opponent's announcing teams, haha.

Sure sounded like he said Daniel on air. Oh, well.