Hawk interview today

flavum

I love Hawk. Whenever I get stuck watching another team's broadcast, I just feel like muting it. Vin Scully is one of the only other guys who makes it worth listening just for the great way in which the game is broadcasted.

While this isn't you flavum, I saw some folks on Twitter last night loving how old and perhaps sickly Hawk looked on TV. These people are f***ing disgusting, cheering an old man to die because he sounds too much like an old timey fan on TV

I would never hope for Hawk to die, but he has said he wants to die in the booth...literally.

If we actually have to listen to a 75, 76...79-year-old Hawk call games, it's going to get awful for everyone.

He's already slipping a lot this year at almost 73.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:09 PM)
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/chicago/play?id=10902181

If you enjoy hating Hawk like I do, this is the interview for you.

About the 44 minute mark.

Hey Hawk, there's this guy named Troy Tulowitzki that plays SS for the Rockies. Remember, you were there about a month ago?

He was talking about this last night during the game, and gave Tulo lots of props for what he has done at the plate. His point was that when you factor in defense too, Alexei is having the best year in his eyes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
He was talking about this last night during the game, and gave Tulo lots of props for what he has done at the plate. His point was that when you factor in defense too, Alexei is having the best year in his eyes.

And he's wrong.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
And he's wrong.

Yep, especially when you consider Tulo already has a +4.8 UZR somehow.

Also, I mean .414./.511/.775. That's 235 wRC+. Miguel Cabrera's triple crown year was 166.

Ain't NOBODY been better than Tulo so far this year, position-specific or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:04 PM)
He is also very obviously cheerleading his own guy. People read way too much into stuff like this.

Yeah but you hurt your own integrity when you say stupid stuff like that. I have to believe a guy is being honest with me if I'm going to respect his opinion. He could totally say "If it weren't for the nasty, otherwordly things that Tulo has been doing, Alexei would be playing better than any SS in the league right now" and still get the point across.

All this of course is made worse than it needs by Hawk's habit to say the exact same sentence on air for about 9 consecutive days to work it out of his system.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:17 PM)
My thoughts exactly.

So you think Hawk doesn't believe Alexei is the best SS in baseball, but he says it anyway...

That's a load of crap.

He absolutely believes it, and he doesn't know any better. And if he was just saying stuff to create some excitement, the fans are way too smart for that crap anymore.

I really doesn't bother me that he is a homer. He calls games for the White Sox. It's not like he is calling games at the national level.

He's goes a bit over sometimes, but that stuff can be funny too.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:26 PM)
So you think Hawk doesn't believe Alexei is the best SS in baseball, but he says it anyway...

That's a load of crap.

He absolutely believes it, and he doesn't know any better. And if he was just saying stuff to create some excitement, the fans are way too smart for that crap anymore.

The fact that he will completely change his opinion on a player as soon as he leaves tells me exactly that. He's a salesman for the Sox organization, and he fully embraces that.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
You can enjoy and be very embarrassed simultaneously. that he's your announcer

those arent mutually exclusive

Never said they were. You can enjoy Hawk and not agree with everything he says. That's the great thing about subjectivity.

I enjoy his unbridled enthusiasm for White Sox baseball. As a fan, it makes me happy that other people are as invested emotionally with the team as I am.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:29 PM)
The fact that he will completely change his opinion on a player as soon as he leaves tells me exactly that. He's a salesman for the Sox organization, and he fully embraces that.

The other part that is worth adding, is now people are talking about Hawk, the White Sox, and Alexei Ramirez. Hawk 1 H8ers 0.