Hawk interview today

flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
The other part that is worth adding, is now people are talking about Hawk, the White Sox, and Alexei Ramirez. Hawk 1 H8ers 0.

Like on Soxtalk? I guess...

Hawk legit sucks at his job now a days. I get that people enjoy him cause he's a homer and I loved the guy growing up but he's f***in awful now.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
For those of you not a fan of Hawk, it could be a hell of lot worse. I was stuck listening the Cubs announcers Tuesday night on WGN. Granted, the game wasn't the most entertaining but those bozos (whomever they were) almost put me to sleep.

That may be true, but I also think when it's "your guy", you tend to put up with more. That's why 95% of people outside of Sox fans hate Hawk, and always have.

Look, I really liked Hawk and have watched him his whole Sox career...and there are still things I like about him. But he used to be good, and now he's not. He's terrible, and getting worse. And there's also a nasty, bitter old man coming out waaay too much.

I get that he wants to be in the Hall of Fame, but if he's going to stick around until he's dead, it's going to be a sad state of affairs.

QUOTE (Dunt @ May 8, 2014 -> 03:48 PM)
You are simply not a Sox fan if you dont enjoy Hawk.

Word.

Through MLB.tv on my tv, I finally got some friends to realize just how lucky sox fans are to hear two announcers talking about the game and it's lesser thought of nuances. Just watch any other broadcast and you won't believe the difference. Pretty much every other pair of announcers simply comment on the actual game taking place, not the intricate mental and physical processes that the viewer is witnessing.

After a decade of arguing for Hawk, I'm starting to think either you get it or you don't, and it's cool either way with me.

I'll admit I've finally started listening to other teams' broadcasts out of curiosity - and there are some great tandems out there. But that said, I'm sure I'd hate Hawk if he were another team's announcer, but he's our Hawk, and I grew up with him, so he'll always have a place in my heart.

Even if he has no idea what he's talking about 70% of the time.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ May 8, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
For those of you not a fan of Hawk, it could be a hell of lot worse. I was stuck listening the Cubs announcers Tuesday night on WGN. Granted, the game wasn't the most entertaining but those bozos (whomever they were) almost put me to sleep.

When the Sox and Cubs play I purposely watch the Cubs broadcast, as it's infinitely better than our poor washed up Hawk.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)
When the Sox and Cubs play I purposely watch the Cubs broadcast, as it's infinitely better than our poor washed up Hawk.

I love Hawk's passion; I love that some of my best memories of my father are us watching games during the Hawk and Wimpie era.

That said, he's actively taking away my enjoyment of the Sox the last two years. I've always defended him but I can't defend him anymore. It's amazing that Stone puts up with it. I would have just quit if I were Stone.

Once in a great while Hawk will have something original to add like last night talking with Stone about knuckleballers, but those moments are becoming rarer and rarer.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ May 8, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
I love Hawk's passion; I love that some of my best memories of my father are us watching games during the Hawk and Wimpie era.

That said, he's actively taking away my enjoyment of the Sox the last two years. I've always defended him but I can't defend him anymore. It's amazing that Stone puts up with it. I would have just quit if I were Stone.

Once in a great while Hawk will have something original to add like last night talking with Stone about knuckleballers, but those moments are becoming rarer and rarer.

Exactly. It is possible to have grown up loving Hawk, to think he is an all-time great, and at the same time to think his time is done and he does more harm than help to Sox broadcasts nowadays.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2014 -> 06:17 PM)

So much this. It's truly depressing that Sox fans still have to put up with that blathering idiot. MLB radio + the mute button is how I watch the White Sox.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 8, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)
Exactly. It is possible to have grown up loving Hawk, to think he is an all-time great, and at the same time to think his time is done and he does more harm than help to Sox broadcasts nowadays.

This is exactly it. The whole "but he's a fan!" defense is just old and ignorant. They should have an easy time getting a new announcer that pleases everyone with the bar set so low.

I don't mind Hawk being a homer at all. What has irritated me the last few years was yelling "stretch" on fly balls that didn't make the warning track, as well as the number of silly errors he's made when announcing the game this year. I'm not sure what's going on, but I've never heard him make more mistakes relating to the score/outs/etc. I don't mind Hawk being upset when the Sox are losing, as almost all of us on here take the losses hard as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 8, 2014 -> 09:06 PM)
I don't mind Hawk being a homer at all. What has irritated me the last few years was yelling "stretch" on fly balls that didn't make the warning track, as well as the number of silly errors he's made when announcing the game this year. I'm not sure what's going on, but I've never heard him make more mistakes relating to the score/outs/etc. I don't mind Hawk being upset when the Sox are losing, as almost all of us on here take the losses hard as well.

Especially when he has his favorites like Beckham or Konerko, and they hit a medium depth fly ball OR it's "dadgum it, just missed it...missed it by 1/32nd of an inch, etc." Or the opposite, when he really gets down on a player, or frustrated with them, like DeAza.

He's seeing the game more and more with his heart and not his brain.

Farmer and DJ, while not nearly as excitable, you can count on them being a lot less emotional and even-tempered in their description of things.