CSN worth $1 billion according to Forbes

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 9, 2014 -> 09:12 PM)
jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 42m

Forbes notes CSN Chicago has an estimated worth of $1 billion and 2013 operating income of $67 million.

who owns CSN ?

So Jerry gets all that income as well? There's no reason the Sox aren't huge spenders in this s*** division. Let's face it, there are some Jerry apologists on here. He got us a WS title so I like him for that and all the Bulls titles, but let's face it, he is not a "good" baseball owner. He's just not. I won't go into all the rea$ons but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
So Jerry gets all that income as well? There's no reason the Sox aren't huge spenders in this s*** division. Let's face it, there are some Jerry apologists on here. He got us a WS title so I like him for that and all the Bulls titles, but let's face it, he is not a "good" baseball owner. He's just not. I won't go into all the rea$ons but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Did you just start following baseball this year? Saying that the Sox are not huge spenders in this division can only mean you haven't paid any attention to the last 10 seasons.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:24 PM)
In before Marty greg uses this to justify huge spending on Jimenez.

Fixed.

Greg...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
Did you just start following baseball this year? Saying that the Sox are not huge spenders in this division can only mean you haven't paid any attention to the last 10 seasons.

...seriously.

Big spending doesn't automatically equal good spending.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 9, 2014 -> 05:38 PM)

I think the frustration is watching the Tigers/Illitch spend so much money on Cabrera/Verlander/Fielder...of course, eventually that will catch up to them, but it might not happen for another 3-5 years.

Illitch is an owner that all fans love, in the sense that he's willing to throw money at nearly every problem (except for the bullpen, so far). And it's likely he caught a lucky break with Scherzer turning down that long-term extension.

As far as the NAV of Comcast, that's not the same thing as profits, and it's still just money on paper that's more or less illiquid.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ May 9, 2014 -> 07:09 PM)
Have you ever read how reinsdorf made his money originally?

I believe him and his wife and child were driving on a country road in the dead of winter in North Dakota and they ran out of gas. He got out of his car to flag down other drivers, and he noticed a windshield scraper lying in the snow near a fence. Went to it, dug up the snow underneath, and found a briefcase full of money.

Am I close?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2014 -> 06:33 PM)
I believe him and his wife and child were driving on a country road in the dead of winter in North Dakota and they ran out of gas. He got out of his car to flag down other drivers, and he noticed a windshield scraper lying in the snow near a fence. Went to it, dug up the snow underneath, and found a briefcase full of money.

Am I close?

Very. A postage stamp design contest, Steve Buscemi, and a wood chipper were also involved to an extent.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 9, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)

Am I close?

:notworthy

We're lamenting the length of games, but it may make baseball the perfect sport to watch on a mobile device. Say you want to catch 15 minutes of a game or an AB here or there when you don't have the time to watch an entire game. I'd imagine teams will make a killing on these rights in the near future.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 12, 2014 -> 06:59 AM)
Is it actually 40% Reinsdorf or is it owned in the same ratios as the teams?

It's definitely 20% Bulls and 20% White Sox. Since Reinsdorf is not the sole owner of the Sox, I don't know if that's Wikipedia being lazy or if he worked out a deal to be the only Sox owner with stake in CSN.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 11, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
The game thread isn't up yet and I guess it applies to CSN, I was looking at my guide to see when the Sox game was on, and the pre-game has a random year applied to it

image.jpg

That was a fun season...except for the Blue Jays' buzzsaw of a rotation.

Sorry Greg but you aren't allowed to suggest that the owner spend more money. You jump at the chance to mention how expensive everything is at the baseball game nowadays but in the same token, you want the owner to spend more $$ on players. There is quite a disconnect here.