Micah Johnson, Nelvin Fuentes to Charlotte

NorthSideSox72

Micah Johnson and Nelvin Fuentes to Charlotte. David Cales activated from DL for BHAM. Charlotte roster is full again, and BHAM is at 24.

Some things will need to give soon. Charlotte now has Sanchez, Saladino and Johnson in the middle infield. Davidson at 3B, and two 1B/Dh types in Wilkins/Black. That is a tight crowd to get all those people playing time. Then you have Keppinger coming back soon, which would seem to mean Garcia or Semien back to Charlotte - in which case it gets out of control.

So what will give? What happens next?

Also worth noting, this leaves a void in BHAM. They can have a filler guy there, but DeMichele doesn't appear ready to move up.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
Micah Johnson and Nelvin Fuentes to Charlotte. David Cales activated from DL for BHAM. Charlotte roster is full again, and BHAM is at 24.

Some things will need to give soon. Charlotte now has Sanchez, Saladino and Johnson in the middle infield. Davidson at 3B, and two 1B/Dh types in Wilkins/Black. That is a tight crowd to get all those people playing time. Then you have Keppinger coming back soon, which would seem to mean Garcia or Semien back to Charlotte - in which case it gets out of control.

Also worth noting, this leaves a void in BHAM. They can have a filler guy there, but DeMichele doesn't appear ready to move up.

My god that IF is clogged.

With BHAM being at 24, my total guess is... Dan Black, who is struggling, goes back to BHAM to DH (and play some 1B, alternating with Ravelo). That frees the DH spot in Charlotte, which at least for now helps get those infielders regular playing time. Pedroza plays 2B in BHAM, since DeMichele isn't ready. Curley SS, Wagner 3B. A skill infield full of org guys.

QUOTE (scs787 @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
Has there still been any speculation of Micah to the OF?? I seem to remember that as a possibility.

Seems unlikely in this case. For one, the guy has never played there - you want to have him make that shift now, mid-season, on promotion to AAA? That's a little nuts. Not to mention that Johnson's elbow issues likely came from bad throwing mechanics, and you want to put him where he's having to make much harder throws? Seems stupid.

But not impossible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)

I have never heard that name before.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2014 -> 02:59 PM)
Seems unlikely in this case. For one, the guy has never played there - you want to have him make that shift now, mid-season, on promotion to AAA? That's a little nuts. Not to mention that Johnson's elbow issues likely came from bad throwing mechanics, and you want to put him where he's having to make much harder throws? Seems stupid.

But not impossible.

Many people think that elbow problem from infielders are due to the weird off balance throws they make. In the outfield you rarely make this type of throw. However, I agree why mess with the kid unless you are convinced he cannot play the infield.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 13, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Many people think that elbow problem from infielders are due to the weird off balance throws they make. In the outfield you rarely make this type of throw. However, I agree why mess with the kid unless you are convinced he cannot play the infield.

Harold Reynolds thinks that INF arm problems are from being moved around the diamond too much. He pointed to Jurickson Profar's elbow as an example of this from his move from SS to 3B to 2B to LF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 13, 2014 -> 04:08 PM)
I believe by doing so you'd be buying out his entire remaining contract.

I believe that depends on whether or not he accepts the assignment. If he doesn't, they can outright him (which does mean he'd be paid the whole contract), or pull him back to Chicago. There is also the issue of options here, I think, and I am not sure if he has any remaining. If not, they can ONLY outright him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 13, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Not to be impudent, but does anyone put any weight into what Harold Reynolds says? I swear the guy does no prep work for his shows and it seems like he barely keeps up with baseball at all.

I know he's a buffoon but for some reason I still like listening to him. He does same pretty stupid stuff.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 13, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Not to be impudent, but does anyone put any weight into what Harold Reynolds says? I swear the guy does no prep work for his shows and it seems like he barely keeps up with baseball at all.

Agreed. Empty suit. He gets chased out of ESPN for some sort of harrassment issue, MLB picks him up, and he wears nice clothes and babbles away.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 13, 2014 -> 09:17 PM)
What the heck does that have to do with anything? Only the serious prospect followers will have a clue who Fuentes is.

I thought Admins were serious prospect followers, like you.