Beckham feels no added pressure from Semien/Johnson

caulfield12

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that bugged me is he sort of sounded like he was making excuses...that if he had debuted with other Sox prospects (like Eaton and Abreu), the pressure wouldn't have been so great.

Didn't he bring a lot of that pressure on himself by his attitude and comparisons to Jeter and being the franchise player, etc., from the beginning?

It's not like that 2009 team was bereft of talent. They'd just made the playoffs the season before, and could have made an even deeper run had Quentin not gone psycho.

Why would he feel pressure from these guys? You project Semien's numbers over the same amount of plate appearances Adam Dunn made during his historically bad 2011 campaign, and they are pretty similar, except you gain a few more hits, lose a few more walks.

People with Beckham hate have that hatred blind them into thinking Semien is better. At least at this time, he is not.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:19 AM)
Why would he feel pressure from these guys? You project Semien's numbers over the same amount of plate appearances Adam Dunn made during his historically bad 2011 campaign, and they are pretty similar, except you gain a few more hits, lose a few more walks.

People with Beckham hate have that hatred blind them into thinking Semien is better. At least at this time, he is not.

The pressure comes from the fact that he make 10x more money than the others and can easily be non-tendered.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 14, 2014 -> 09:41 AM)
No, people with Beckham hate realize he's a bust and want someone else there, it has nothing to do with Semien.

BS. Semien was actually called a "professional hitter" by a Beckham hating mouth breather. People were disregarding he leads the league in striking out, pointing out his taking pitches helps the rest of the offense. Well his 4 strikeouts last night, helped the team pound out 4 hits. His flaws ignored. Just get rid of Beckham. Well, Semien isn't as good as Beckham.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
BS. Semien was actually called a "professional hitter" by a Beckham hating mouth breather. People were disregarding he leads the league in striking out, pointing out his taking pitches helps the rest of the offense. Well his 4 strikeouts last night, helped the team pound out 4 hits. His flaws ignored. Just get rid of Beckham. Well, Semien isn't as good as Beckham.

Wow.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:46 AM)
He will have no problem finding a job.

If he doesn't play well enough to get tendered a contract this year, he will have a problem finding a job at the $5m+/yr he'd make if he went through arb again. And I'm guessing he'd like to avoid transplanting his family.

So yeah, I'd feel pressure if there were millions of dollars at stake.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
If he doesn't play well enough to get tendered a contract this year, he will have a problem finding a job at the $5m+/yr he'd make if he went through arb again. And I'm guessing he'd like to avoid transplanting his family.

I don't think the White Sox have many, if any, players or coaches who live in Chicago full-time. I don't think that is an issue.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't think the White Sox have many, if any, players or coaches who live in Chicago full-time. I don't think that is an issue.

Ok, well if not, then the millions of dollars in salary should be. I know I'd personally believe it was an issue.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Ok, well if not, then the millions of dollars in salary should be. I know I'd personally believe it was an issue.

Beckham will be good enough to where the dollars are fine in 2015.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:14 AM)

If he's good enough to earn his money, he'll be tendered a contract. If he isn't good enough to be tendered, he's realistically look at something between league minimum and maybe $2m on a one year deal. If he does enough to earn more than that and the Sox non-tender him, they've made a mistake.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
If he's good enough to earn his money, he'll be tendered a contract. If he isn't good enough to be tendered, he's realistically look at something between league minimum and maybe $2m on a one year deal. If he does enough to earn more than that and the Sox non-tender him, they've made a mistake.

If Jeff Keppinger can get $4 million a year, Gordon Beckham can get $4 million a year.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 14, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
No, people with Beckham hate realize he's a bust and want someone else there, it has nothing to do with Semien.

Ding Ding Ding. And Semien has shown a lot in the minors and has shown some positive things at the majors (and hasn't proven himself to be what he is, like Becks has) to the point that I don't want Beckham taking at bats away from Marcus and his development. If the Sox think Marcus can/should go down to AAA to work on some things he's learned based upon getting his feet a little wet right now, then I am okay with that. I don't think they would have pegged him to be in the majors at this point yet and he likely would have spent the first half of this year in AAA but injury called and Semien came up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)

What over the past two to three years gives you any indication of this. He's a below average starter and has consistently proven that.

Might as well give him a long-term contract extension.

We give the same type of money to Downs for being broken-down, DeAza for not wanting to play CF/hit leadoff/practice the mere fundamentals of baserunning and Keppinger for being half of a platoon spot at age 30+.

Beckham's worth $6-8 million per year in comparison for being in the prime of his career and the best defensive 2B since Bill Mazeroski or Roberto Alomar. In fact, his range and defensive metrics just keep increasing by the minute.

Plus, his cockiness alone is worth $1-2 million per year.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
If Jeff Keppinger can get $4 million a year, Gordon Beckham can get $4 million a year.

I don't think Beckham will get 4M a year. Keppinger had put up far better numbers then Beck when he signed that contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 10:49 AM)

Keppinger got that on the strength of a .325/.367/.439 (128 wRC+) walk year. If Beckham does that, he won't be looking for a job.

Edited by Eminor3rd