Keppinger DFA'd

Chisoxfn

I think they will try to trade him for a piece of crap prospect while eating most of the contract. Maybe TB would want him back. Do they have any 25 year old A ball pitchers with 8.00 ERA's and more walks than innings pitched?

You figure they already paid him $1 million this year, so he's got about $7 miilion left. If he gets the minimum this year and next, it comes out to a little more than $6 million the Sox ultimately eat. Not huge.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
The good news is that he gawn.

The bad news is that it is unlikely they'll also eat Dunn's contract.

Maybe Joe Madden will take him back. Fits Tampa's payroll to get him on the ultra cheap -- and he had his best year there.

C U Later.

They werent going to eat Dunn's contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
You might lose one, MAYBE two of those guys to DFA this year. De Aza being on that list is just silly.

I know not all of those guys would get DFA'd, I'm just saying those are candidates. I agree about De Aza because he provides depth and Sox have nothing in the OF in the minors besides maybe Mitchell or Thompson.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:40 AM)
I know not all of those guys would get DFA'd, I'm just saying those are candidates. I agree about De Aza because he provides depth and Sox have nothing in the OF in the minors besides maybe Mitchell or Thompson.

Jordan Danks and Blake Tekotte are your minor league OF depth for the Sox this year. And that's not saying much.

Losing Garcia for the year and Eaton for a little while really thins out the OF.

It just really sucks that it will be another year at least before the Sox really know what they really have in Garcia. It kind of puts a damper on offseason activity.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:48 AM)
Jordan Danks and Blake Tekotte are your minor league OF depth for the Sox this year. And that's not saying much.

Losing Garcia for the year and Eaton for a little while really thins out the OF.

It just really sucks that it will be another year at least before the Sox really know what they really have in Garcia. It kind of puts a damper on offseason activity.

I agree. Garcia was just starting to heat up right before he got hurt. I still think a Garcia, Eaton outfield is good enough to build for the future. I believe Viciedo will keep hitting well, so he's best suited for DH.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
The good news is that he gawn.

The bad news is that it is unlikely they'll also eat Dunn's contract.

Maybe Joe Madden will take him back. Fits Tampa's payroll to get him on the ultra cheap -- and he had his best year there.

C U Later.

What would be the point in eating Dunn's contract. He's in the last year of the deal, is our best option at DH (not to mention only LH power) and isn't holding anybody back.

Here is Keppinger's problem: With pitchers now taking up 12 of 25 roster spots on most teams, position players who aren't good enough to be full-time starters at any one position really have to be able to play at least one of SS, CF or C to make a roster as a backup.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:56 AM)
Here is Keppinger's problem: With pitchers now taking up 12 of 25 roster spots on most teams, position players who aren't good enough to be full-time starters at any one position really have to be able to play at least one of SS, CF or C to make a roster as a backup.

well i am glad this is his problem, and no longer the White Sox problem

Wow. Honestly didn't think they'd go there, at least not yet. Good for the team. Small chance someone elects to pick him up with the Sox sending a lot of his contract, but more likely he falls through and signs a MiLB deal somewhere and the Sox are on the hook for all but the MLB minimum of his remaining salary.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 17m

Hahn on Keppinger decision: "We are focusing on the future as opposed to trying to justify a decision from the past."

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 17m

Per Rick Hahn, Jeff Keppinger is healthy. Shoulder has responded well. Move was made to give more PT to Gillaspie, Semien, Beckham.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 16m

Hahn on the signing: "It didn’t work. That’s on me."

Hahn had a brief conversation with Keppinger this morning. He understood CWS rationale for move and they wished each other well

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 7m

Hahn said a position change for someone in the plethora of Minor League infield talent is "conceivable" down the line. But ....

The goal is development with these players. So they are not throwing something new at them as they are getting comfortable.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1m

Rick Hahn also thanked chairman Jerry Reinsdorf for flexibility to DFA Jeff Keppinger, which could cost Sox whats left on $8.5 mill deal.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 14, 2014 -> 12:09 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 17m

Hahn on Keppinger decision: "We are focusing on the future as opposed to trying to justify a decision from the past."

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 17m

Per Rick Hahn, Jeff Keppinger is healthy. Shoulder has responded well. Move was made to give more PT to Gillaspie, Semien, Beckham.

Hahn on the signing: "It didn’t work. That’s on me."

Hahn had a brief conversation with Keppinger this morning. He understood CWS rationale for move and they wished each other well

Hahn said a position change for someone in the plethora of Minor League infield talent is "conceivable" down the line. But ....

The goal is development with these players. So they are not throwing something new at them as they are getting comfortable.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1m

Rick Hahn also thanked chairman Jerry Reinsdorf for flexibility to DFA Jeff Keppinger, which could cost Sox whats left on $8.5 mill deal.

Very well handled by all parties. It allows Kepp to catch on somewhere else, and the White Sox to move on.