5/14 games

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Cleto hit 100 on the gun last night.

Source says Thaddius Lowry is the guy who will take Danish's spot in the Kanny rotation. I thought it might be Brennan, who should be back around now.

Velocity is the last thing I want to see from Cleto. I want to see 94/95, because that means he might actually be trying to control the ball.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ May 14, 2014 -> 11:15 PM)
This is just so disappointing. Thank god Gillaspie is solid this year. Davidsons still young enough. Hope he turns it around.

Can't wait to follow Micah at AAA.

So is Danish a AAA promotion candidate or will they take their time with him?

You want Danish to go from A ball to AAA over the course of a season? No.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 15, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
Brandon Crawford is white (so no relation to Carl or JP), 27, and not that good. And Xander Bogaerts is a way, way better SS prospect and young player in the majors.

You make some off the wall posts, but this might be the most off the wall post you've ever made.

I should have specified defensively, but how many games have you watched him play this season?

Since Iglesias is injured and might never hit over a 675 OPS, you can't argue him either.

Crawford is perhaps the most underrated shortstop in all of baseball. His run-producing numbers will never compare to the likes of division rival and fellow Bay Area native Troy Tulowitzki, but he’s a viable big league shortstop who seldom gets the type of attention he deserves, especially on defense. Crawford is arguably the best fielding shortstop in MLB, demonstrating outstanding range and frequently snagging should-be base hits on the infield dirt before pivoting to throw darts toward first base for outs.

The 27-year-old shortstop owns a .834 OPS in 29 games of action this season. That figure is 160 points above his final mark in the 2013 season (.674). Crawford’s production at the plate during the second half of 2013 was negatively affected by a hand injury which prevented him from feeling comfortable at the plate. He never made excuses for his struggles, though.

At the moment, Crawford owns the fourth-highest OPS among all MLB shortstops. He ranks second in the NL behind just Tulowitzki in that category. After blasting two home runs to aid the Giants in a road sweep of the Atlanta Braves, Crawford now owns a 0.7 WAR to rank among the top 10 shortstops in baseball.

Despite being subject to criticism, Crawford is emerging as a high-quality big league shortstop. He will never develop into a prolific power hitter, but his steady development is worth applauding.

The Giants would be hard-pressed to replace a player like Crawford who not only helps generate runs at the plate, but also shaves points off the ERA of the pitching staff with his glove. He’s one of the most undervalued players in the game, but will eventually earn the type of recognition he deserves if able to continue wreaking havoc on left-handed pitchers while also recording web gems.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/05/05/s...ated-shortstop/

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../OPS/order/true

Unless you're going to argue Starlin Castro is better/younger, Peralta/A.Ramirez/Tulowitzki are the only SS's ahead of him OPS-wise. Bogaerts still has a lot to prove offensively at this point.

And Crawford's playing half of his games in a pitcher's park, too. He's one of the main reasons they're in first place right now.

Edited by caulfield12

If Danish duplicates his A performance at A+, I'd have no trouble with him rising to AA. If he still somehow does that, I'd have no trouble with him in AAA.

But he needs to say on his innings limit, so I ultimately see him doing well at A+ and then maybe getting some relief work in at Birmingham.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 15, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
If Danish duplicates his A performance at A+, I'd have no trouble with him rising to AA. If he still somehow does that, I'd have no trouble with him in AAA.

But he needs to say on his innings limit, so I ultimately see him doing well at A+ and then maybe getting some relief work in at Birmingham.

The problem I have with the fast tracking is what happens if he does get to AAA this year? Does he just stay there for two years while building up innings?

I think it makes sense to just let him slowly rise through the system, spending the rest of this year in High A. If he pitches well, AA next year. If he pitches well there, give him some AAA at the end of the year. Then give him a year at AAA, maybe some time in the big leagues.

2014: 100 innings (Low A to High A)

2015: 125 innings (AA to AAA)

2016: 150 innings (AAA to Big Leagues)

2017: 175 innings hopefully in the Big Leagues if all goes well.

With high school pitchers, I think you need to be slow. Let them slowly increase the innings as their bodies mature and gain strength on a pro-style fitness regime.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
I should have specified defensively, but how many games have you watched him play this season?

Since Iglesias is injured and might never hit over a 675 OPS, you can't argue him either.

Crawford is perhaps the most underrated shortstop in all of baseball. His run-producing numbers will never compare to the likes of division rival and fellow Bay Area native Troy Tulowitzki, but he’s a viable big league shortstop who seldom gets the type of attention he deserves, especially on defense. Crawford is arguably the best fielding shortstop in MLB, demonstrating outstanding range and frequently snagging should-be base hits on the infield dirt before pivoting to throw darts toward first base for outs.

The 27-year-old shortstop owns a .834 OPS in 29 games of action this season. That figure is 160 points above his final mark in the 2013 season (.674). Crawford’s production at the plate during the second half of 2013 was negatively affected by a hand injury which prevented him from feeling comfortable at the plate. He never made excuses for his struggles, though.

At the moment, Crawford owns the fourth-highest OPS among all MLB shortstops. He ranks second in the NL behind just Tulowitzki in that category. After blasting two home runs to aid the Giants in a road sweep of the Atlanta Braves, Crawford now owns a 0.7 WAR to rank among the top 10 shortstops in baseball.

Despite being subject to criticism, Crawford is emerging as a high-quality big league shortstop. He will never develop into a prolific power hitter, but his steady development is worth applauding.

The Giants would be hard-pressed to replace a player like Crawford who not only helps generate runs at the plate, but also shaves points off the ERA of the pitching staff with his glove. He’s one of the most undervalued players in the game, but will eventually earn the type of recognition he deserves if able to continue wreaking havoc on left-handed pitchers while also recording web gems.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/05/05/s...ated-shortstop/

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../OPS/order/true

Unless you're going to argue Starlin Castro is better/younger, Peralta/A.Ramirez/Tulowitzki are the only SS's ahead of him OPS-wise. Bogaerts still has a lot to prove offensively at this point.

And Crawford's playing half of his games in a pitcher's park, too. He's one of the main reasons they're in first place right now.

TL;DR, but I've seen Crawford play enough to know that he's a decent to good starting shortstop but nothing special.