Reinsdorf is on Commish search committee

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Hopefully George W Bush is ready to get back to work

He might do a fine job, but it would be deemed too polarizing/political a hire, so I can't see it.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
He might do a fine job, but it would be deemed too polarizing/political a hire, so I can't see it.

I think everyone loves post president Bush and there isn't anything less polarizing than baseball. With his connections I think he'd be an amazing hire. But more of a pipe dream candidate because why would he want it? His name for the job has obviously been at the top of the list for this job in every article about this for year's now, but just can't see it.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Say JR got the commissioner job, who would take over the White Sox then?

Well he is part owner, so I am sure they have the power transfer lined up if something happened to him or if he moved on

Candidates according to espn:

MLB chief operating officer Rob Manfred; Bob Bowman, CEO of MLB Advanced Media; Tim Brosnan, baseball's executive vice president for business; investment banker Steve Greenberg, who was deputy commissioner under Fay Vincent; Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio; Atlanta Braves chairman Terry McGuirk, Arizona Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall; former Yale president Rick Levin; former President George W. Bush; and former NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:17 PM)
Say JR got the commissioner job, who would take over the White Sox then?

He isn't. He is planning on moving away from baseball, and worried about how takes over his teams. He isn't looking to run MLB.

Hall makes a lot of us look like underachievers, haha. Pretty amazing life for only 44 or 45 years old. Ohio University has one of the best, if not the best, sports administration program/s in the country (I went to Georgia Southern for their MS Sport Management program at approximately the same time...one of my best friends from that program is now head of scouting for the Atlanta Hawks after starting as an intern with the Magic and working for nearly a decade with George Karl in Seattle and Milwaukee as well).

And it just goes to show that you can start off working for a minor league team (Vero Beach Dodgers) and move up the ranks from there. One of the advantages of Vero Beach (besides living in Florida) is that at the time it was owned by the Dodgers, so he obviously took advantage of the opportunities starting out as an intern to move upwards and jump from the minors to the major league front office.

Hall currently serves on 25 boards, including the Arizona Mexico Commission, Great Hearts Academies, Arizona Chamber of Commerce, Greater Phoenix Convention & Visitors Bureau, National Vice President of the Muscular Dystrophy Association, National Advisory Council for Pancreatic Cancer, Stand Up 2 Cancer Melanoma Dream Team Sponsor, US Airways Education Foundation, Make-A-Wish Foundation, and Positive Coaching Alliance. Hall, who is the current Chairman of the Board for the Valley of the Sun United Way, raised $47 million throughout the Phoenix area as the non-profit organization's 2009-10 campaign chairman. He has also raised money by serving as an event chairman for the Prostate On-Site Project (POP) Walk, 75th Anniversary March of Dimes, March for Babies Walk, The Wellness Center, several Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) events, Southwest Autism Research & Resource Center (SARRC), St. Vincent de Paul, Florence Crittenton and the Foundation for Blind Children.

Hall, who serves on MLB's diversity committee and the Commissioner's on-field diversity task force, gives numerous keynote speeches to various groups or conventions throughout the country about his unique vision on leadership, customer service and culture. He has spoken to U.S. Air Force Academy cadets at the annual National Leadership and Character Symposium. He donates all speaking engagement fees back to the Arizona Diamondbacks Foundation and other local non-profit organizations he supports.

A native of Los Angeles, Hall joined the D-backs in May 2005 as Senior Vice President, Communications and served in numerous capacities prior to being named president in September 2006 and adding the title of CEO in January 2009. Prior to joining the D-backs, Hall made a brief stop as Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications for a Fortune 500 company based in Los Angeles, where he increased brand awareness. He spent parts of 12 seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, joining the organization's Single-A Florida State League affiliate in Vero Beach, Fla. as an intern in 1992 and departing as the club's Senior Vice President, Communications in 2004. In between, he served key roles during three ownership changes with the Dodgers and was recognized for reuniting Fernando Valenzuela with the organization after hiring him as a color analyst for the team's Spanish radio broadcasts in 2003.

Hall stepped outside of baseball for employment during the 1999 season, as he hosted a three-hour morning talk show on the Dodgers' flagship station (XTRA 1150 AM) and served as host of the "Dodger Game Day" pre-game radio show when the team played at Dodger Stadium. He also had a stint in front of the camera as a weekend sports anchor at KNBC-TV (Ch. 4) in Los Angeles.

He received a bachelor's degree from Arizona State University, where he was named "Man of the Year" in 1991, in broadcasting and journalism and a master's degree from Ohio University in sports administration. In 2012, he received an honorary Doctorate degree from the University of Phoenix. He was inducted into the ASU Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communications Alumni Hall of Fame in 2002 and was awarded the ASU Young Alumni Achievement Award in 2003. In 2006, Ohio University's Sports Administration Program recognized Hall as the 25th recipient of the Charles R. Higgins Distinguished Alumnus Award. Hall was the keynote speaker for ASU's Cronkite school convocation in December 2008, becoming the first Cronkite alum to deliver a commencement speech at the school's graduation and also spoke at the W.P. Carey School of Business and the University of Phoenix convocations in 2012.

His philanthropic efforts led to Hall being named the APS Peacemaker Award at Valle del Sol's Profiles of Success, the Bill Shover Leadership Award from United Blood Services and the prestigious Phoenix Award by the Phoenix Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) in 2013. He was the inaugural recipient of the Goldwater Community Service Award in 2012 by the Active 20-30 Club of Phoenix. In 2007, he was named to the Phoenix Business Journal's "Forty Under 40" class, was the recipient of the "Community Lifeline Award" from Teen Lifeline and was named the Phoenix Father's Day Council "Father of the Year" to benefit the American Diabetes Association. The SportsBusiness Journal added him to its prestigious "Forty Under 40" class in 2008. The Phoenix Business Journal also named Hall to its inaugural list of "Most Admired CEOs" in 2009. Hall is also a member of the ASU W.P. Carey School of Business "Dean's Council of 100," Young Presidents' Organization and the Thunderbirds.

He faced his greatest personal challenge when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in September 2011, just as the team was battling for a division title. Hall immediately went public with the diagnosis in order to encourage other men to get tested after age 40. Following successful surgery to remove his prostate, Hall is now cancer free and has become a tireless advocate of cancer-fighting charities while continuing to speak publicly about the health challenge he faces. In 2014, he will launch his own 501©(3) organization, the Derrick Hall Pro-State Foundation, which is dedicated to serving as a comprehensive tool for those who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer and their families to help them understand the challenges and choices they face and how they can maintain a "pro" state of mind.

Hall and his wife, Amy, reside in Paradise Valley with their children Logan, Hayden and Kylie.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
I think everyone loves post president Bush and there isn't anything less polarizing than baseball. With his connections I think he'd be an amazing hire. But more of a pipe dream candidate because why would he want it? His name for the job has obviously been at the top of the list for this job in every article about this for year's now, but just can't see it.

this was meant to be in green?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ May 15, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
this was meant to be in green?

Nope his approval rating for his presidential years is 50 percent now and liking Bush the man is much higher than that. He is a real candidate according to every article yesterday and would obviously be the most qualified man for the job but yeah, can't seem him taking it for obvious reasons.

MLB Commissioner Selection Committee: Bill DeWitt Jr Chairman; David Montgomery, Arte Moreno, Jim Pohlad, Jerry Reinsdorf & Bob Nutting

I didn't realize that Jerry and Bob Nutting are an item?

Picky teacher thing, there should be a comma after Reinsdorf ;)

I wouldn't mind seeing Bush as MLB Commissioner. We have a few younger presidents now and post president careers will be interesting for a while.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 15, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)

Uh, no, not really. But, like Jimmy Carter, his public image is largely rehabilitated, yes. Further discussion along these lines likely belongs in the Buster, I'd think.

Former presidents are a lot like back-up QB's.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ May 16, 2014 -> 07:31 AM)
Uh, no, not really. But, like Jimmy Carter, his public image is largely rehabilitated, yes. Further discussion along these lines likely belongs in the Buster, I'd think.

Former presidents are a lot like back-up QB's.

His approval rating for presidential years is 47 percent as of April 2013. Not as high as I thought but I imagine the liking of him outside that is significantly higher. Yes they are like backup qbs but that's alright. His politics don't really matter here with regards to commish and yeah probably belong in the filibuster.

I think Bush would do a great job and I don't think he would be too controversial of a hire, but I don't think it's feasible for a former President to have a job like that. There is still a Secret Service presence following him plus former Presidents are expected to be semi-official ambassadors to other countries and during disasters, etc. I think the logistics are just too difficult.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Not originally, but that is a different story.

Great point. Sox fans all know why a commissioner was named. There wasn't one until 1920 and he created the position.

Landis responded by declaring that he would only accept an appointment as sole commissioner, effectively transforming the National Commission into a one-man body. More importantly, Landis also demanded nearly unlimited authority to act in the "best interests of baseball" — in essence, serving as an arbitrator whose decisions could not be appealed. Finally, Landis insisted on a lifetime contract. The owners, still reeling from the perception that the sport was crooked, readily agreed.

Landis kept baseball from integrating and I believe blocked Veeck from buying a team after Landis learned Veeck intended to integrate the players.

The next guy (?) was more of a player's commissioner. Worked to make contracts fairer, etc.

I don't remember any of the guys in the middle.

And wasn't it Kuhn who was commish when the 81 strike and was regarded as an owner's commish.

It seems like we've had commissioners who travel the spectrum from player to owner. I wonder where Bush would fit into the range. It seems obvious at first he would be an owner's commish, but he does have the resume strength to be independent. He has experience being the main guy. I'd like to see someone who would be independent, but that seems really improbable.

I doubt his supporters would claim he was tarnishing the office of president by working for a paycheck after leaving office, and Dems shouldn't really care. There has been a Dem president or two who tarnished it while in office.

I hope I didn't make a buster worthy post, but one concern will be he was a president and the connection seems important to his fit as baseball commissioner.