Abreu to DL/Eaton Reinstated

Heads22

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
Would they be better off shutting him down for the rest of the year instead of risking a possibly more career-impacting injury?

It seems there's one thought that weight loss (a bit) could help alleviate some of the problem....and I'm not even sure what "natural gait" means, that there's some predisposition to this problem genetically simply because of the way he walks or runs?

Runners get shin splints from too much wear and tear...but this is slightly different. Somehow I never got that despite being a distance runner and soccer player.

All I know is that the most painful things I've ever had to deal with personally are plantar fasciitis (see Carlos Quentin, another big dude), a herniated disk, an oblique and kidney stones.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flat feet. It didn't matter what I weighed. My feet, ankles or knees usually hurt until I got orthotics. I still get some pain and swelling, but not nearly to the degree I had it before.

Maybe losing 15 lbs. will make the pain management easier, but if he has something that is naturally going to cause some pain, it probably isn't going away simply by dropping several pounds. The fact is, he lost the weight, and he's on the DL.

Edited by Dick Allen

I get that this was inevitable, and the injury is of course not Ventura's fault. But I still contend, having him out there for that extra week or two hobbling around like Kirk Gibson was not a smart path to take. If this was coming, then get it done earlier, just to decrease the risk of making it worse. I think they handled this poorly.

And before anyone jumps on me for this, my track record here will indicate I'm more patient with managers than most people. This isn't just screaming from the rafters. They, Ventura and his crew, could have handled this better.

He acts like that's something new. Yeah, they are going to keep taking a look at it to make sure it's okay. Yeah, when he arrives in Chicago he's going to see the doctors again. Yeah, when the only way to heal the injury is to keep you off your foot, he's going to wear a walking boot.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)
He acts like that's something new. Yeah, they are going to keep taking a look at it to make sure it's okay. Yeah, when he arrives in Chicago he's going to see the doctors again. Yeah, when the only way to heal the injury is to keep you off your foot, he's going to wear a walking boot.

That same information was out 2 days ago.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 19, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
I get that this was inevitable, and the injury is of course not Ventura's fault. But I still contend, having him out there for that extra week or two hobbling around like Kirk Gibson was not a smart path to take. If this was coming, then get it done earlier, just to decrease the risk of making it worse. I think they handled this poorly.

And before anyone jumps on me for this, my track record here will indicate I'm more patient with managers than most people. This isn't just screaming from the rafters. They, Ventura and his crew, could have handled this better.

The thing is, this isn't probably going away. They actually probably maximized his playing time doing it this way, and he did help win a couple games banged up.

If they rested him a few games, every amatuer doctor would have been happy, but while it might have felt a little better and he might not have limped around as severely, maybe comes right back in a couple of games anyway.

Assuming the injury is what the Sox say it is and he's out 15 days, I really don't think playing him ultimately made it worse overall. Maybe it caused him more pain, but in terms of numbers of games missed, at worst, it cost them a game or two, but might have got them 5 or 6 or more with him in the line up.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled going forward. It has obviously been a problem before he was even here. He's never played more than 89 games in a year. Hopefully they figure out something that keeps it in check.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
The thing is, this isn't probably going away. They actually probably maximized his playing time doing it this way, and he did help win a couple games banged up.

If they rested him a few games, every amatuer doctor would have been happy, but while it might have felt a little better and he might not have limped around as severely, maybe comes right back in a couple of games anyway.

Assuming the injury is what the Sox say it is and he's out 15 days, I really don't think playing him ultimately made it worse overall. Maybe it caused him more pain, but in terms of numbers of games missed, at worst, it cost them a game or two, but might have got them 5 or 6 or more with him in the line up.

It will be interesting to see how this is handled going forward. It has obviously been a problem before he was even here. He's never played more than 89 games in a year. Hopefully they figure out something that keeps it in check.

Just to note, for the last week prior to going on the DL, Abreu was 4/27 (.154 average), 2 HR, 12 k's and a .570 OPS. He absolutely contributed a key HR that won a game I will grant you that, but getting him in the lineup for an additional handful of games when he could only put up those numbers isn't a big positive.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 19, 2014 -> 01:05 PM)
Just to note, for the last week prior to going on the DL, Abreu was 4/27 (.154 average), 2 HR, 12 k's and a .570 OPS. He absolutely contributed a key HR that won a game I will grant you that, but getting him in the lineup for an additional handful of games when he could only put up those numbers isn't a big positive.

And it was bothering him, although not as noticeably when he went 1 for 25 earlier in the year. But then he got hot again.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)
Would they be better off shutting him down for the rest of the year instead of risking a possibly more career-impacting injury?

Probably not. Tendonopathy is a problem that can be managed and the off season rest is really the thing to help it. It could be a chronic problem but they will be able to tell it by the way he responds to treatment.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 19, 2014 -> 12:43 PM)

And then the strengthening and orthotics afterwards.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:45 AM)
It seems there's one thought that weight loss (a bit) could help alleviate some of the problem....and I'm not even sure what "natural gait" means, that there's some predisposition to this problem genetically simply because of the way he walks or runs?

Runners get shin splints from too much wear and tear...but this is slightly different. Somehow I never got that despite being a distance runner and soccer player.

All I know is that the most painful things I've ever had to deal with personally are plantar fasciitis (see Carlos Quentin, another big dude), a herniated disk, an oblique and kidney stones.

Not really. Natural gait in this case refers to the foots natural path of starting in supination (on the outside of the foot) at heel strike, then progressing to pronation (arch lowering and weight on the inside of the foot) and mid stance (body over the foot, then progrssing to supination again before the toes leave the ground.

These problems arise when the person's foot either gets to the pronation too quickly or stays too long. If the foot does this naturally, orthotics are used to mitigate this different motion to take the stress off the muscles. I'm sure the process of the last week was an attempt to modify the orthotics to see if it could take away enough of the pain.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ May 19, 2014 -> 12:20 PM)
I know how Abreu must be feeling. My face hurts seriously all the time because it is so beautiful. There's nothing I can do about it. It hurts the more time I spend in the sun. So I try to stay indoors but its hard to do that.

Quit while you are ahead.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 19, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
How serious of a recovery process would the surgery require? I only ask because if the recuperation isn't significant, he could get the surgery in say, October, and then be ready for ST. Of course this is dependent on the actual recovery process, which I am not mindful of, but if that could alleviate the stress after this year. At face value, that would seem like the optimal strategy.

There are a variety of surgical options depending on the actual problem. All of the options would require at least 3-9 months of rehab. As stated earlier, surgery is only an option for a very few of the problems.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)

Did he have a problem prior to spring training? If so, then this problems moves into the chronic category and it will be a problem that he needs to manage a little differently. It's one that will never totally go away. The practice of orthotics and activity modification will be a constant throughout his career.

QUOTE (ptatc @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Did he have a problem prior to spring training? If so, then this problems moves into the chronic category and it will be a problem that he needs to manage a little differently. It's one that will never totally go away. The practice of orthotics and activity modification will be a constant throughout his career.

Yes. He had ankle pain prior to signing with the Sox. It appears to be chronic.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 19, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Yes. He had ankle pain prior to signing with the Sox. It appears to be chronic.

It makes even more sense why they tried to stretch it out then. He will always battle the problem. I've worked with runners who he battled it for 30 years. It can be managed but there will be times when he will need to rest it.

edit; the key will be to not allow the tendon to degenerate to the point where a debridement surgery may be required.

Edited by ptatc

Chicago White Sox ‏@whitesox 8m

Further exam on Abreu’s ankle confirmed inflammation as the issue. Jose will be in a boot for the next several days & re-evaluated soon.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 31m

Further tests (MRI) on Jose Abreu confirmed inflammation. No underlying tear. In boot next several days, re-evaluated during home stand.