Which Sox are going to be traded this summer?

harfman77

We are about a month away from trade talks kicking into high gear, before the season the thought was to trade De Aza, Viciedo, Gillaspie, Beckham, Dunn, Flowers, Lindstrom, Ramirez and Keppinger. Kep's already gone, but are the rest of the guys still trade bait with Garcias injury? Is there someone else that will likely be moved?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are about a month away from trade talks kicking into high gear, before the season the thought was to trade De Aza, Viciedo, Gillaspie, Beckham, Dunn, Flowers, Lindstrom, Ramirez and Keppinger. Kep's already gone, but are the rest of the guys still trade bait with Garcias injury? Is there someone else that will likely be moved?

Dunn and Lindstrom are very likely to get traded. Nobody will want DeAza, and the others are young, under contract and/or controllable for a few more years so it would take a pretty hefty offer to get the Sox to trade any of the rest.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 19, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
We lost a couple games in Houston but it's too early for trade talk. What if we are in the hunt for a wild card spot?

I think the expectation coming into the season is that this will serve as a rebuilding year, if the team has a legitimate chance at competing you would need to re-evaluate. The question becomes how many chips to you want to push in to make a run at an all or nothing playoff game versus trading off some pieces now to strengthen your core group when you have a better opportunity at maintaining a window of success. Nothings over yet, but this team is at least one above average to great SP away and one more LH hitting OF away from being a solid contender.

There's a lot of guys that could get traded, but I'll believe it when I see it-- Beckham, Ramirez, De Aza, Lindstrom, Dunn.

We'll see what the record is at the break. Quite frankly, the next two weeks could be rough without Abreu.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 19, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
We lost a couple games in Houston but it's too early for trade talk. What if we are in the hunt for a wild card spot?

That's not going to happen. You can't win with this (injured) roster and this pitching staff. This team is not built to win right now mainly because of injuries to go with some guys who have no business being in the big leagues.

As far as trades ... I stand by my prediction Dunn will not be moved because no contender will want him. Maybe an NL team will want a pinch hitter like the Phils did with Thome that one year (or was it the Dodgers I forget?) but aside from an NL team wanting a pinch hitter nobody will want him.

Lindstrom, Downs and DeAza should be dealt, but nobody will want them as well.

I think somebody will take a chance on Beckham and he'll be dealt for a couple minor leaguers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:02 PM)
More interesting than who they trade, will be who they target. Have they changed their minds at looking for another catcher? Does pitching pop back onto the list? OF's?

I think that is the ticket. If they can move Ramirez for a LH OF prospect and then trade Viciedo for Nick Franklin you have a pretty good and inexpensive offensive core locked up for a while which would free up so more cash to either trade for an established SP in the off-season or pursue one in FA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:02 PM)
More interesting than who they trade, will be who they target. Have they changed their minds at looking for another catcher? Does pitching pop back onto the list? OF's?

Hit the nail on the head. You don't trade just to trade. What are we looking for and what do other teams have to offer us in exchange for anyone previously mentioned? But, it's a long season and we still have a reasonable chance of competing for a wild card spot

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
That's not going to happen. You can't win with this (injured) roster and this pitching staff. This team is not built to win right now mainly because of injuries to go with some guys who have no business being in the big leagues.

As far as trades ... I stand by my prediction Dunn will not be moved because no contender will want him. Maybe an NL team will want a pinch hitter like the Phils did with Thome that one year (or was it the Dodgers I forget?) but aside from an NL team wanting a pinch hitter nobody will want him.

I think somebody will take a chance on Beckham and he'll be dealt for a couple minor leaguers.

So we trade no one except Beckham for just a couple minor league players? I still don't get the Beckham hate. Plus why would we just give up a great defender at 2B who is showing he can hit for just a couple minor leaguers? I really think you sell guys short.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 19, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)

This is a message board and it's a valid point of discussion. Odds are, the Sox will be out of the race by the time the deadline rolls around and they'll be looking to sell a few pieces that won't be on the team next year. Considering some people are already considering roster decisions based on the 2016 roster, it's never too early to start talking about potential trades. It doesn't mean people still aren't appreciating what they have going on or don't want to watch games for this season, but that it's not likely to happen this year.

That said...

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)

this is wrong too because the Sox are only 2.5 out of the Wild Card even with the injuries they've suffered thus far. Given a break or two, this team could easily compete for a Wild Card spot all year. You don't just sell to sell and you don't just assume that this team has absolutely no shot.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
So we trade no one except Beckham for just a couple minor league players? I still don't get the Beckham hate. Plus why would we just give up a great defender at 2B who is showing he can hit for just a couple minor leaguers? I really think you sell guys short.

I think you severely overrate Gordon Beckham. Last year, Beckham compared favorably to Eric Sogard and DJ LeMahieu.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)
I think you severely overrate Gordon Beckham. Last year, Beckham compared favorably to Eric Sogard and DJ LeMahieu.

Maybe you just underrate Eric Sogard and DJ LeMahieu? Ya, bet you didn't think about that.

Something overlooked yesterday, IMO, is that when Semien came in as a replacement, he went to 2nd base and Garcia went to SS. I don't really believe the Sox view Semien as a potential SS. That's unfortunate, as Alexei is the only trade chip the Sox have with any significant value.

Any of the following can be traded, but usually it turns out to be less:

Gordon Beckham

Alexi Ramirez

Adam Dunn

Matt Lindstrom

One of the OF's (De Aza / Viceido)

All of these guys have issues/questions though so I'm not sure that the White Sox will get great value for them, not to mention it's unlikely that the Sox will be ship all of these players away (even if they should). It's probably 2 or 3 players at the most that get moved should the White Sox decide to sell.

If Lexi keeps hitting like this I could see someone biting on him and maybe sending us a couple good prospects. I seem to devalue our current team more than many of you. I think we are going to be buried pretty darn soon. So that would mean trying to rob a team and WIN THE TRADE big time for Lexi. Maybe acquire a GOOD infield prospect and two lower level pitchers for Lexi. If he keeps hitting like this, he has value to a contender as he's a good enough fielder.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:56 PM)

I'd say Eric Sogard's even better, cause he's got nerd powers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 19, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
If Lexi keeps hitting like this I could see someone biting on him and maybe sending us a couple good prospects. I seem to devalue our current team more than many of you. I think we are going to be buried pretty darn soon. So that would mean trying to rob a team and WIN THE TRADE big time for Lexi. Maybe acquire a GOOD infield prospect and two lower level pitchers for Lexi. If he keeps hitting like this, he has value to a contender as he's a good enough fielder.

With Hahn success in most of his dealings in trades, I think most teams will be disinclined to deal. That being said

i see Dunn being traded to a contender at some point. Decent value in return for Lindstrom, I would love to

trade Beckman to stl, bos or even yanks for some of their prospects, if not them then a general trade. De Aza, forget it

I doubt if any would trade for him. Most importantly is trading flowers, I know we may not have a good replacement, but

his good hitting is getting me to wonder if he is on the PED.

2 wildcard in players being traded, imo, is hoping to trade dank brothers as a pkg and trading Viciedo.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 19, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)
With Hahn success in most of his dealings in trades, I think most teams will be disinclined to deal. That being said

i see Dunn being traded to a contender at some point. Decent value in return for Lindstrom, I would love to

trade Beckman to stl, bos or even yanks for some of their prospects, if not them then a general trade. De Aza, forget it

I doubt if any would trade for him. Most importantly is trading flowers, I know we may not have a good replacement, but

2 wildcard in players being traded, imo, is hoping to trade dank brothers as a pkg and trading Viciedo.

If Flowers was on PED's, shouldn't he be up there in the SLG and homer totals, not mostly singles and gork shots?

Danks isn't going anywhere without eating a significant percentage of his salary the next 2 1/2 seasons.

Replace Viciedo with who? Any trade brings back a younger prospect that's even more unproven, and we're already going into 2015 unsure what we're going to get out of Avisail. They're more likely to keep Viciedo/Ramirez and build around them than to trade them because there's especially no viable replacement for Ramirez at SS and there's growing concern about separating the three Cubans. Finally, trading Viciedo's hot hitting (without his 2012 power numbers) for one month is about like Seth Smith acquiring via trade a Top 25-50 MILB starting pitching prospect because his OPS is currently #2 in the majors.

For what it's worth, Dunn's OPS is still Top 40 in all of MLB as well.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (LDF @ May 19, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)

There is no reason to think that PED's would make him a better contact/opposite diection hitter. He isn't hitting for any more power than he has in the past. In fact I bet he is hitting for less power than he has in the past. If I had the time I would look it up