Which Sox are going to be traded this summer?

harfman77

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ May 20, 2014 -> 12:06 PM)
If the Sox are out of it in late July, and they get offered something for Alexei that makes sense, absolutely you trade him.

I agree, but also agree that you don't look to trade him, like they did with Peavy last year. That was a case of basically telling the league "we ARE trading this guy," whereas with Alexei they are saying "we CAN trade this guy."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2014 -> 12:08 PM)
I agree, but also agree that you don't look to trade him, like they did with Peavy last year. That was a case of basically telling the league "we ARE trading this guy," whereas with Alexei they are saying "we CAN trade this guy."

Right. It's just the same plan as Hahn has set...the Sox have to get young players that will be here for the long run. It's not a trade for a sake of a trade.

That's why I'm skeptical that they'll trade anyone.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 20, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)

I see your point but it did work out ok for the Sox getting Avi Garcia, injury aside, don't you think?

It's refreshing that so many fans on here see the Sox as WC contenders all year. I just don't see it at all with the injuries as well as a few too many lousy players (pitchers). I'd be all for a shot at the wild card, but I'm thinking by June 10 we'll be pretty much buried. Hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 20, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
It's refreshing that so many fans on here see the Sox as WC contenders all year. I just don't see it at all with the injuries as well as a few too many lousy players (pitchers). I'd be all for a shot at the wild card, but I'm thinking by June 10 we'll be pretty much buried. Hope I'm wrong.

By June 10th?

Greg, you're always wrong.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 19, 2014 -> 02:53 PM)
this is wrong too because the Sox are only 2.5 out of the Wild Card even with the injuries they've suffered thus far. Given a break or two, this team could easily compete for a Wild Card spot all year. You don't just sell to sell and you don't just assume that this team has absolutely no shot.

As long as we don't buy just to buy. I went into this year thinking it was a rebuilding year. If we were playing great ball and were legitimately contending for the division I'd be looking to add. But next year is when I expect more of this team. If we're 2.5 games out of the WC come July 31, I hope Rick doesn't trade any young players for an over the hill, past his prime vet.

Nor do I hope he takes on an aging player in decline wiht a big contract the last month of the season because he was great 5 years ago and he got him for nothing.

Bob

Dunn is headed towards being a very valuable trade chip in July. So the question is, how "in it" do the Sox have to be to NOT trade him?

IMO, if there is a good offer for Dunn on the table, the Sox have to take it, even if they are within a couple games of a WC spot. I also think the Sox should eat salary if it nets a better prospect.

The Sox will not be a playoff team this year. Far too many holes. Sell anyone over 30.

If the Sox are going to keep trotting Beckham and Gillispie out there, they should teach Semien how to play CF so they can trade or DFA ADA.

OK, I get the Beckham hate, but Gillaspie has an 845 OPS. I don't know what more anybody could possibly expect from him.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 21, 2014 -> 08:01 AM)
OK, I get the Beckham hate, but Gillaspie has an 845 OPS. I don't know what more anybody could possibly expect from him.

I don't read that comment as having to do with Gillaspie being undeserving as much as it does the fact that Marcus Semien has 13 PA's in the last 13 days.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 21, 2014 -> 10:27 AM)
This. Get Semien out of here and into AAA. I don't understand that logic. I really do think Keppinger was hated in the clubhouse because he wouldn't be a horrible fit for this time other than his garbage defense.

I think the problem is that they now have a roster crunch in Charlotte as well with Micah, Davidson, and Sanchez all needing to play everyday as well. Eventually one of those three (Semien, Johnson, or Sanchez) is going to need to be deal to bring back some depth at other positions and alleviate the logjam.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ May 21, 2014 -> 06:56 AM)
The Sox will not be a playoff team this year. Far too many holes. Sell anyone over 30.

If the Sox are going to keep trotting Beckham and Gillispie out there, they should teach Semien how to play CF so they can trade or DFA ADA.

I advocated getting Semien some OF time. I got slammed, but it makes a lot of sense. He doesn't seem too bothered to play 3b or 2b, and the OF should be fairly easy for him to be mediocre. It gives him more of an opportunity to play. Ultimately, it could really be beneficial, not just this year, but for his career.

I don't read that comment as having to do with Gillaspie being undeserving as much as it does the fact that Marcus Semien has 13 PA's in the last 13 days.

Yeah, no hate for Gillaspie -- he's played far better than anyone could have hoped for. I just think Semien needs to play everyday somewhere.

I don't want to trade Alexei, but right now, he is the best SS in the AL and it would be hard not to at least listen to offers. I think we would get a ton for him but who would be interested?

I don't know how you could possibly get fair value for an elite defensive shortstop with an 839 OPS and a reasonable contract through 2016.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 21, 2014 -> 01:33 PM)
I don't know how you could possibly get fair value for an elite defensive shortstop with an 839 OPS and a reasonable contract through 2016.

Exactly, that's why I think we hang on to them because no team wants to give up a ton.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 21, 2014 -> 01:39 PM)
Does anyone want to do the "what contending teams could seriously use an upgrade at short" exercise?

I'll go on record as saying that the Yankees will be an excellent candidate for Alexei this offseason.

I'll go on record as saying that the Yankees will be an excellent candidate for Alexei this offseason.

I just have to ask what people think is the long term solution at SS if Alexei is traded? We have several middle infield prospects that are good with the glove, but I don't see any that have the potential to regularly put up an OPS above .750, which is what Alexei seems to be on track for this year. When Alexei was struggling to get his OPS over .650, yes he was expendable, but I think the Sox really need to wait and see if the new Alexei is the real thing.

Abreu-Eaton-Alexei and maybe Viciedo and/or AGarcia figure to be the core of this offense for several years. Finding a catcher and some left handed power (beyond this season) for LF, 1B, or DH are all this team lacks to having a really, really good lineup.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 21, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
I just have to ask what people think is the long term solution at SS if Alexei is traded? We have several middle infield prospects that are good with the glove, but I don't see any that have the potential to regularly put up an OPS above .750, which is what Alexei seems to be on track for this year. When Alexei was struggling to get his OPS over .650, yes he was expendable, but I think the Sox really need to wait and see if the new Alexei is the real thing.

Abreu-Eaton-Alexei and maybe Viciedo and/or AGarcia figure to be the core of this offense for several years. Finding a catcher and some left handed power (beyond this season) for LF, 1B, or DH are all this team lacks to having a really, really good lineup.

Marcus is the possibility there. Not saying he IS the long term answer but he's the one where there's a chance.