Which Sox are going to be traded this summer?

harfman77

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:19 AM)
Every trade depends on what is being offered, but Gillaspie is the kind of guy who is more valuable to the Sox than potential suitors, so there aren't likely any offers to be made that are going to make sense for the Sox.

I will repeat what I first said: there just aren't many times when it makes sense for a rebuilding team to trade a pre-arb player.

Even trading a relief pitcher, or, more specifically, a closer?

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So back to substance.

Who do you think will be the starting 3B for the Chicago White Sox on Opening Day in 2015, Conor or Matt Davidson? Which one would you trade?

If you don't want to trade either one:

Would you move one of them to 1B and make Abreu a full-time DH to prevent more wear and tear on his ankles from standing for an extra 2 hours 150+ times per year?

If I had to answer right now I say that Gillaspie is the starting 3B in April 2015 based on Davidson having a .623 OPS so far at Charlotte. However, Davidson could put things together and earn his way up to the Sox by the end of the year. IF that happens, then the Sox can evaluate options with Gillaspie. They can consider having him play some at 1B with occasional starts at 3B, or see what kind of trade value he has. Only after you are certain that he doesn't have a starting job do you look at getting value from him in a trade.

Right now, you don't trade a pre-arb guy when you don't have an obvious replacement for him.

Even trading a relief pitcher, or, more specifically, a closer?

Relief pitcher in general? No. Closer? Yes if he's within a year of hitting arbitration because closers not named Mariano Rivera are grossly overpaid compared to their value. That is probably the one position where trading a guy pre-arb is OK, if the guy is at least within a year of hitting arb.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 08:00 AM)
Then why did we acquire Davidson?

To make him the DH?

If that's the logic, we would be better off keeping Dunn.

Until Davidson starts destroying AAA again, or someone submits a ridiculous offer for Conor, Conor is going nowhere on my team.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Who would you rather have on the 25 man roster right now?

a. 34 year-old Jeff Keppinger

b. 89 year-old Minnie Minoso

Trick question.

c. 45 year-old Frank Thomas.

Paul Konerko slides to 3B.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
Trick question.

c. 45 year-old Frank Thomas.

Paul Konerko slides to 3B.

Ok, for serious, who would you rather have playing third base, defensively only, for the rest of this year:

a. Paul Konerko

b. a 6'x6' plywood wall

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
Ok, for serious, who would you rather have playing third base, defensively only, for the rest of this year:

a. Paul Konerko

b. a 6'x6' plywood wall

You and your trick questions.

c. Rubber wall positioned so that ricochets glance towards 1B