Daniel Carbonell

LDF

QUOTE (OilCan @ May 19, 2014 -> 09:54 PM)

MLB rumors site has the sox in the bidding for him. maybe not a serious bid but nevertheless bidding for his services.

thanks

I'll take him.

Put him in the OF with Avi and Eaton and the defense goes from below average to plus. Even if he hits .240 he still will have value as a defensive player with the ability to move on the bases. Sign him and stick him down in AA and let him work his way up. The Sox have no other OF prospects that are going to be ready in the next two seasons, this would seem a good way to bridge the gap if he can be signed at a reasonable cost.

Barring other moves the opening day lineup in 2015 would be:

RF Eaton

2B Beckham

3B Gillaspie

1B Abreu

DH Viciedo

LF Garcia

CF Carbonell

SS Ramirez

C Flowers

Pretty right handed heavy, but solid to plus defensively at every position.

http://obstructedview.net/news-and-rumors/...-carbonell.html

He has hit only 9 home runs his entire career in Cuba, so he's definitely not a slugger in the Cespedes/Puig/Abreu mold.

His calling card seems to be speed, but he hasn't perfected his stolen base technique or steals aren't as important in Cuban Serie Nacional beisbol.

Just from looking at his profile, he seems like a poor man's version of Leonys Martin on the Rangers.

Maybe a great fourth outfielder, but doesn't have the looks of a starter....unless he plays defense like F. Gutierrez or the Mets' CF.

FWIW, his last name is coming up as Arredondo on a lot of the scouting reports.

Cepeda (in Japan now) and Despaigne (maybe in Mexico) are the two guys to look out for, along with Gourriel if he ever leaves Cuba.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 20, 2014 -> 10:30 AM)
Without looking at anything other than the information available for him, he's a risky signing for sure. No stats and no video other than an edited video from his camp. I understand that Puig was a similar type signing but that just makes it perfect timing for Carbonell to exploit that.

Whoever said "Alexei but yoked" was right on. Obviously we're far away, but going into next season with Eaton, Garcia, Viciedo and Carbonell sounds good to me. We have a great fourth option if Eaton/Garcia get injured or if Garcia sucks coming back (fathomable). Plus, we can be patient with Carbonell if need be. I am not sold on Viciedo at DH yet. We can't have him pegged as the DH and have him regress to .265/.300/.420; That is not going to cut it at DH. If Carbonell is the real deal, we can shift Eaton to LF and it would be a huge boost to the defense.

Of course, this is all dependent on Carbonell actually being MLB caliber player which I am not inclined to believe yet. We need more than an unnamed scout calling him a "beast" and a video from his camp. I trust Hahn to be doing his homework instead of just trying to make this the Cuban National team.

Haha dude I think they do their homework when millions of dollars are involved.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 20, 2014 -> 11:13 AM)
He needs to sign by July 2nd but there are rumors he can go tomorrow or this week.

As for the contract, I would expect 4 years and somewhere south of 20 million.

Thanks for the info. I was gonna guess 4 years around 16 million. That's what I would probably give him.

A lot of physical talent, not much production. I wouldn't pay much and I'd have to think he would need MiLB time.

caulfield, I didn't look at said scouting reports you're talking about, but Spanish naming conventions are First Name Paternal Last Maternal Last. So Dayan Viciedo is actually Dayan Viciedo Perez. It might be that Arredondo is his maternal last name

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 20, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Thanks for the info. I was gonna guess 4 years around 16 million. That's what I would probably give him.

From mlbtr, it says he is looking for a four year deal, but teams have offered between 5 and 7 years.

Edited by IowaSoxFan

Carbonell would be about the equivalent of DeAza when we got him off waivers from the Marlins.

Not convinced that's enough of an impact to bid $20-30 million on him, simply because he's an international free agent. I think they'll save their bullets for something they like more.

Along with Leonys Martin, Leslie Anderson is another name that comes to mind with this guy.

• 3 weeks later...

Carbonell has to sign in the next 10 days to avoid being subject to the international prospect pools. The Mariners and Yankees were said to be the two finalists, but:

"Mariners officials dismissed previous reports that have connected the team to Cuban outfielder Daniel Carbonell. It’s been reported previously that Seattle is one of two finalists for Carbonell’s services. Dutton does note that the Seattle front office’s denial could merely be gamesmanship."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/06/al-w...-carbonell.html

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 16, 2014 -> 04:14 PM)
Carbonell didn't seem interesting at all, but I would have thrown a million at him.

I was interested, I think he can at least be a fourth OF/defensive replacement, handle all three OF positions, and has good speed on the bases. Perfect guy to bring into run for Tank in the 7th inning next season. He has the upside of starter if he can make contact at a decent rate. I would think he would make more sense to the org than Micheal Taylor.