Daniel Carbonell

LDF

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
I was interested, I think he can at least be a fourth OF/defensive replacement, handle all three OF positions, and has good speed on the bases. Perfect guy to bring into run for Tank in the 7th inning next season. He has the upside of starter if he can make contact at a decent rate. I would think he would make more sense to the org than Micheal Taylor.

Michael Taylor costs virtually nothing unless you're upset about losing Jake Sanchez (you shouldn't be). Carbonell didn't cost much, but the scouting reports from Cuba are getting better and better - hence $36 million for Cespedes and $42 million for Puig and $68 mill for Abreu - and he still got $3.5 mill. That tells me he's probably as good as someone like Paulo Orlando.

How is the lefty the Cubs signed for what was widely-considered to be an overpay doing?

Then there's the Miguel Angel Gonzalez situation with the Phillies....

Plus $53 million to Arruebarrena and Alex Guerrero for the future Dodgers' infield, (which also means Beckham or any of our middle infielders to LA is pretty far-fetched.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
How is the lefty the Cubs signed for what was widely-considered to be an overpay doing?

Then there's the Miguel Angel Gonzalez situation with the Phillies....

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=concep000ger

4.81 ERA in 12 relief appearances in A ball, and I liked that signing, even if it was a "meh, who cares?"

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have been upset had they signed Carbonell, but I'm not distraught that they didn't.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 06:58 AM)
Michael Taylor costs virtually nothing unless you're upset about losing Jake Sanchez (you shouldn't be). Carbonell didn't cost much, but the scouting reports from Cuba are getting better and better - hence $36 million for Cespedes and $42 million for Puig and $68 mill for Abreu - and he still got $3.5 mill. That tells me he's probably as good as someone like Paulo Orlando.

Puig is not a good example. When Puig signed people were laughing at the Dodgers and how they overspent, blah blah blah. There wasn't another offer even close to what the Dodgers put in for Puig and that "overpayment" turned into one of the best deals in baseball. In fact, I still think there is pretty shaky scouting and I think the Giants got a potential bargon in Carbonell. Even the kid the Dodgers recently signed for 24M, a lot of people weren't high on him and now that is looking pretty good (other then Olivo taking out his ear) as scouts have been raving about him. Still seems to be a bit of an underappreciated cuban market (although clearly the tip top guys are getting very big paydays).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Puig is not a good example. When Puig signed people were laughing at the Dodgers and how they overspent, blah blah blah. There wasn't another offer even close to what the Dodgers put in for Puig and that "overpayment" turned into one of the best deals in baseball. In fact, I still think there is pretty shaky scouting and I think the Giants got a potential bargon in Carbonell. Even the kid the Dodgers recently signed for 24M, a lot of people weren't high on him and now that is looking pretty good (other then Olivo taking out his ear) as scouts have been raving about him. Still seems to be a bit of an underappreciated cuban market (although clearly the tip top guys are getting very big paydays).

Didn't realize Soler only had 27 PA's all season. (Baez just a 698 OPS at Iowa, and Almora .581 at Daytona/High A).

Alex Guerrero was $28 million, by the way...from what I have read...and I don't think the Dodgers ever envisioned Dee Gordon blocking him with how anemically he performed offensively the first time he had a shot at full-time SS play. But for most of the first two months he was well over an 800 OPS playing 2B nearly everyday.

Still tend to believe everyone's waiting to see if they will have a shot at Despaigne or Cepeda among the position players...or perhaps even Gourriel. The last two are a big long in the tooth, but would provide veteran savvy and steady leadership for young Latin players on a team like the Pirates, Marlins, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 17, 2014 -> 08:58 AM)

I don't have a problem with bringing in Taylor, I think that this guy has more upside and his floor is probably a better fit for the Sox than Taylors. I think Carbonell has a better chance in developing into an asset for the Sox than Taylor does at this point, and thats what rebuilding teams need to do is collect assets. Sure he may never be more than a fourth OF, but outside of his signing bonus, his salary is pretty reasonable. Maybe you get a Jarrod Dyson type of player out of him, that would be worth the relatively low risk of signing him for that amount.