Lindstrom to DL, Javy Guerra recalled

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2014 -> 12:24 PM)
I think the Cooper led White Sox like the flexibility of being able to use Belisario at any point they need between the 6th and 9th innings. Putnam I think is the pseudo long man and early reliever. If I had to guess, I would say Petricka first, then Webb.

Fabian described that. The 9th inning guy a lot of times comes in with a clean slate and a bit of a lead, so they have no problem going with a less effective reliever there while they use their best reliever in almost nothing but high leverage spots.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now official, from Sox FB page:

Prior to tonight’s game at Kansas City, the Chicago White Sox placed right-handed pitcher Matt Lindstrom on the 15-day disabled list with a sublexing peroneal (outside) tendon in his left ankle and purchased the contract of right-handed pitcher Javy Guerra from Class AAA Charlotte.

Lindstrom, 34, suffered the injury in the ninth inning of last night’s victory over the Royals while attempting to field a bunt by Alcides Escobar and will return to Chicago to undergo further examination. He is 2-1 with a 3.32 ERA (7 ER/19.0 IP) and six saves in 19 appearances this season.

Guerra, 28, is 1-1 with a 2.33 ERA (5 ER/19.1 IP) and three saves in 14 relief appearances with Charlotte in 2014, limiting right-handers to a .229 (8-35) average. He was claimed by the White Sox off waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers on March 26.

The 6-foot-1, 190-pound Guerra has gone 4-5 with a 2.90 ERA (33 ER/102.1 IP), 87 strikeouts and 29 saves over parts of three major-league seasons with the Dodgers (2011-13). He recorded a 2.31 ERA (12 ER/46.2 IP) with a team-high 21 saves in 23 chances over 47 appearances as a rookie in 2011 and followed with a 2.60 ERA (13 ER/45.0 IP) and eight saves in 2012.

Guerra will wear uniform No. 41.

The White Sox 40-man roster increases to 40.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 20, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
Now official, from Sox FB page:

That's a different injury for a pitcher. I've seen it in high jumpers who routinely take off from one plant foot perpendicular to the pit. This is one that may require surgery if the decreased inflammation and coordination cannot hold the tendons behind the lateral malleolus. He must have had a partial tear of the retinaculum on the outside of the ankle.

The White sox pitchers have been coming up with some really odd injuries.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 20, 2014 -> 01:30 PM)
Seth Lakso ‏@SethLakso 2m

Guerra, 28, becomes the ninth Knights player to earn a promotion to Chicago this season.

The 2014 White Sox have already used 20 pitchers. The 2005 White Sox used 17 pitchers all year.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 2m

Javy Guerra arrived from Charlotte around 1 pm. Said he and #WhiteSox have worked on mechanics. Feels comfortable.

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2m

Cooper noncommittal on closer situation. "You'll see if we have a lead tonight."

Shame to see Lindstrom go down with such a rare injury, I found this diagnosis on an orthopaedic surgeon's website:

This is a difficult injury, as there are no reliable methods to treat the injury without surgery. Although ice, rest, physical therapy, and taping or bracing can be helpful in alleviating pain and swelling and help improve mobility, it is difficult to predict that the subluxation of the tendons will improve. Typically surgery is needed to repair the tissue that holds the tendons behind the bone and prevent the tendons from continuing to snap back and forth over the bone. It can be a fairly debilitating injury if not treated, and most high-level athletes have surgery to fix the problem. Return to sports can take several months. The surgical repair has to heal, and then the athlete has to regain strength and range of motion before returning to sport-specific activities.

Sounds like we can probably rule Lindstrom out for the rest of the year, it's not a debilitating setback to the team but he could've been a trade piece for a Brandon Jacobs level prospect which is better than nothing.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 20, 2014 -> 05:08 PM)
Shame to see Lindstrom go down with such a rare injury, I found this diagnosis on an orthopaedic surgeon's website:

Sounds like we can probably rule Lindstrom out for the rest of the year, it's not a debilitating setback to the team but he could've been a trade piece for a Brandon Jacobs level prospect which is better than nothing.

First Crain last year (which really hurt), then Lindstrom.

Our off-season idea of flipping relievers for valuable pieces is falling apart a bit. Cleto has negligible value, and Boggs is history. Putnam and Belisario are the veterans performing well right now, but how much would either of them fetch in July?

Unless someone makes an outstanding offer for Belisario, Hahn will probably hold onto him and give Webb/Petricka some more time to get their feet wet at the big league level.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 20, 2014 -> 07:23 PM)
First Crain last year (which really hurt), then Lindstrom.

Our off-season idea of flipping relievers for valuable pieces is falling apart a bit. Cleto has negligible value, and Boggs is history. Putnam and Belisario are the veterans performing well right now, but how much would either of them fetch in July?

Unless someone makes an outstanding offer for Belisario, Hahn will probably hold onto him and give Webb/Petricka some more time to get their feet wet at the big league level.

So, you're saying that the White Sox picked up 4 scrap heap relievers in the offseason and at least 2 of them are pitching well enough that we'd consider keeping them for the next season and we have control of both of them? And this is "falling apart a bit"?

I understand people being frustrated with Lindstrom's performance and somewhat ambivalent (or in some cases, glad) he's no longer the closer, but this is really a frustrating injury. We're not competing this year. I just can't see us seriously thinking we have a shot come July. Lindstrom is a veteran pitcher who has had success in his past. We really should have wanted him to be our closer, essentially no matter what, right up until the trade deadline in hopes that someone desperate for BP help came calling and offered us a B-level prospect for him. This no appears extremely unlikely to happen.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ May 21, 2014 -> 08:09 AM)
I understand people being frustrated with Lindstrom's performance and somewhat ambivalent (or in some cases, glad) he's no longer the closer, but this is really a frustrating injury. We're not competing this year. I just can't see us seriously thinking we have a shot come July. Lindstrom is a veteran pitcher who has had success in his past. We really should have wanted him to be our closer, essentially no matter what, right up until the trade deadline in hopes that someone desperate for BP help came calling and offered us a B-level prospect for him. This no appears extremely unlikely to happen.

Exactly, there is no "good news" here.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 21, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
It's good news until we are out of the wild card race.

I know I'm about to play the moral high ground card here, but you should not be happy that a player on the team you cheer for was [potentially seriously] injured.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 21, 2014 -> 09:11 AM)
The good news is that he's out of the closers role.

In a rebuilding season, who cares. This year is all about maximizing the worth of assets who won't be around when we are actually good again. Losing one of those assets means there is no chance at getting anything for him.

I don't understand that mindset either. He was 6 out of 9 in saves, but was bad for really only one of those. He blew a save against the Indians where Abreu made an error and Alexei ended up walking the Indians off anyways, and then against Boston, he blew a save where Cleto walked the first 2 guys of the inning, Lindstrom gave up a single and then nothing after that. He's not ideal, but I had no problem there and if it had helped improve trade value, then it's that much better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 21, 2014 -> 09:25 AM)
In a rebuilding season, who cares. This year is all about maximizing the worth of assets who won't be around when we are actually good again. Losing one of those assets means there is no chance at getting anything for him.

We're 1.5 out of the wild card for now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 21, 2014 -> 09:28 AM)
I don't understand that mindset either. He was 6 out of 9 in saves, but was bad for really only one of those. He blew a save against the Indians where Abreu made an error and Alexei ended up walking the Indians off anyways, and then against Boston, he blew a save where Cleto walked the first 2 guys of the inning, Lindstrom gave up a single and then nothing after that. He's not ideal, but I had no problem there and if it had helped improve trade value, then it's that much better.

He has a 1.47 WHIP. He's the 5th best righty reliever on the team. He should not be the closer.