5/20 games

GGajewski18

https://twitter.com/SethLakso/status/468960792411648002

Micah Johnson said a scout clocked him at 3.69 seconds from home to first on a ground ball to second in Norfolk two days ago.

He followed that up by saying, “I don’t really know what that means or anything.” He and the WhiteSox know exactly what that means.
Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Jake @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:35 AM)
In his defense, he is walking a bunch

I think that's always been a small part of his problem. He has a good eye, but he's not aggressive enough, gets himself in 2 strike situations too often and since he doesn't have the greatest contact ability a lot of his long at bats end up resulting in strikeouts.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 21, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Alright, let's pump the brakes here. The kid is 21 and only has 100 pro games under his belt.

He's got a couple more years until we can forget about him.

I don't think fringe prospect status means he's given up on him, but consider that he was 13th on the FutureSox board coming into the year, and the couple of people in the current top 10 thread that ran it out to 25 had him at 19th and 16th respectively.

Frankly, Barnum is a fringe prospect at this point. I'm not even close to writing him off, but when I think of White Sox prospects, his status barely crosses my mind. Hopefully he figures it out.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 21, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Alright, let's pump the brakes here. The kid is 21 and only has 100 pro games under his belt.

He's got a couple more years until we can forget about him.

I still like his potential if he ever figures it out, but he's not far from going the Jared Mitchell/Keenyn Walker route either. He's got a long swing and (obviously) strikes out a ton.

I think a demotion to Kanny may be in order if he doesn't get it together soon. Everyone knows Hawkins struggled mightily in WS last season, but he was at least hitting homers. I know injuries have derailed Barnum's short pro career to this point, but he's yet to display the power that has drawn Ryan Howard comparisons.

The kid's confidence must be shot, and you can't just leave him in WS hitting .150 and hope for the results to change. He gets like 3 Ks just about everyday. Think about what that can do to a player mentally.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ May 21, 2014 -> 01:56 PM)
I still like his potential if he ever figures it out, but he's not far from going the Jared Mitchell/Keenyn Walker route either. He's got a long swing and (obviously) strikes out a ton.

I think a demotion to Kanny may be in order if he doesn't get it together soon. Everyone knows Hawkins struggled mightily in WS last season, but he was at least hitting homers. I know injuries have derailed Barnum's short pro career to this point, but he's yet to display the power that has drawn Ryan Howard comparisons.

The kid's confidence must be shot, and you can't just leave him in WS hitting .150 and hope for the results to change. He gets like 3 Ks just about everyday. Think about what that can do to a player mentally.

If he's struggling this badly come the ASB, I'd all be for flipping him and Hayes. Not that I think pitching in the SAL is dramatically different than in the CAR, but at least he began to show a little success there late last season. He's a guy who needs to get on a track to start with, which he hasn't been able to do.