Your Current Top 10

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:15 AM)
Baseball America just ran 10 hitters who might be better than you think at #4 was Ranglo Ravelo.

Did they really spell his name like the movie "Rango"? That would have been hilarious, in an article featuring someone few prospect experts outside of Soxland even know about...and his name is/was misspelled.

"Might be better than you think?"

Nobody even thought he was a bad hitter, ever, just that he wasn't going to hit for enough power to play a corner infield position and that he had problems staying healthy for an entire season.

This is the second time I've seen you refer to Ravelo's health being an issue. Where are you getting this? He's had two short stints with minor injuries, missing a few days once, and once a few weeks. How is that a health "issue"?

Anyway, let's be more direct - the question is about Ravelo's home run power very specifically. He gets tons of XBH, more usually than most Sox prospects. His Iso SLG this year is .151, which is pretty good but not great... but the good news is, he already has 5 HR after hitting 4 all of last year, and he can hit the ball a long, long way when he gets a little loft on it. He's a line drive hitter by nature, so really he doesn't lack power in the tool sense - he lacks home runs. At 22 in AA, he's on pace for about 10 HR, so progress is there and I think there's a good chance it develops much further. For that matter, if he keeps hitting .300 and getting on base .400 and keeps up his typical 40-double on a full-season pace, that alone might get him there even with only 10-15 HR a year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:29 AM)
This is the second time I've seen you refer to Ravelo's health being an issue. Where are you getting this? He's had two short stints with minor injuries, missing a few days once, and once a few weeks. How is that a health "issue"?

Anyway, let's be more direct - the question is about Ravelo's home run power very specifically. He gets tons of XBH, more usually than most Sox prospects. His Iso SLG this year is .151, which is pretty good but not great... but the good news is, he already has 5 HR after hitting 4 all of last year, and he can hit the ball a long, long way when he gets a little loft on it. He's a line drive hitter by nature, so really he doesn't lack power in the tool sense - he lacks home runs. At 22 in AA, he's on pace for about 10 HR, so progress is there and I think there's a good chance it develops much further. For that matter, if he keeps hitting .300 and getting on base .400 and keeps up his typical 40-double on a full-season pace, that alone might get him there even with only 10-15 HR a year.

Can we honestly imagine Ravelo at 1B/DH, Gillaspie at 3B....god knows who in the middle infield, then Eaton and maybe Micah Johnson or Marcus Semien in LF?

That's a recipe for another 99 loss team.

In 2012, Ravelo only played in 76 games. In 2013, 101.

By my count, that's around 85 games or so he's missed out in terms of his development over those two minor league seasons.

In 2012, he was a mid-season all-star for Kanny, so that means he missed significant time in the 2nd half.

This is also his first season in three where he's been healthy for almost the entire year, at least up til this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:29 PM)

if and I mean if his upside can be a #2 hitter or 7-10 hitter, I can live with that, esp if he great on defense.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Can we honestly imagine Ravelo at 1B/DH, Gillaspie at 3B....god knows who in the middle infield, then Eaton and maybe Micah Johnson or Marcus Semien in LF?

By my count, that's around 85 games or so he's missed out in terms of his development over those two minor league seasons.

In 2012, he was a mid-season all-star for Kanny, so that means he missed significant time in the 2nd half.

This is also his first season in three where he's been healthy for almost the entire year, at least up til this point.

His 2012 missed time was not an injury. He left the team in early July that year to attend to "personal matters". I can't go into further detail than that, but it was not an injury.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
Micah Johnson is officially a top 100 prospect, congrats Micah

On who's list? BA? BP? MLB? Someone else?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:43 PM)

while I like your enthusiasm about using Ravelo, but I was once told by many posters many yrs ago,

you use 1b / dh for power hitters. why, I don't know how that came to be.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 10:42 AM)
while I like your enthusiasm about using Ravelo, but I was once told by many posters many yrs ago,

you use 1b / dh for power hitters. why, I don't know how that came to be.

If he keeps on hitting, they'll find a spot for him.

Also, he's saying he can develop into a power bat. Plenty of guys hit 20 homers a year at 1B, it's not a problem, especially in today's game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 04:51 PM)

Also, he's saying he can develop into a power bat. Plenty of guys hit 20 homers a year at 1B, it's not a problem, especially in today's game.

and I agree. mark grace is one. however with no history of ever hitting over 10 hrs, his anticipated power

may never come.

however a person who hits, and play great d, one will find a place for him, as you said.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)

Yeah I don't have a problem with him slugging .475ish as long as he keeps his OBP .375-.400. Another thing to consider, Regions Field in Birmingham is traditionally extremely tough on home run hitters. Reference link is below. He hits a lot of doubles that could possibly be homers in Chicago.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...b&fext=.jsp

Ravelo is also the type of guy I could see going out in a trade. If the Sox trade someone like Beckham or Ramirez, but it isn't quite enough to get the type of prospect they want in return, a guy like Ravelo could be enough to push it over the finish line for a target club who has the need.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 11:03 AM)
Yeah I don't have a problem with him slugging .475ish as long as he keeps his OBP .375-.400. Another thing to consider, Regions Field in Birmingham is traditionally extremely tough on home run hitters. Reference link is below. He hits a lot of doubles that could possibly be homers in Chicago.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=2...b&fext=.jsp

That's before 2013, which means the old BHAM park. The new one is, from what I remember of the 2013 numbers, more neutral.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 05:00 PM)
and I agree. mark grace is one. however with no history of ever hitting over 10 hrs, his anticipated power

may never come.

however a person who hits, and play great d, one will find a place for him, as you said.

Are there any reports of Ravelo's defensive ability at 1B? All I've ever seen is that he couldn't hack it at 3B.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
That's before 2013, which means the old BHAM park. The new one is, from what I remember of the 2013 numbers, more neutral.

I knew they were playing in a new park, was guessing it would be similar dimensions to the old one. Would have to check on that.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 02:11 PM)
Are there any reports of Ravelo's defensive ability at 1B? All I've ever seen is that he couldn't hack it at 3B.

That's been a question for me as well. If he was originally a 3B, a la Andy Wilkins, you'd think he would be a good candidate to do well at 1B. But that is only a guess.

Balta was at a couple BHAM games this year, maybe he can comment?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 03:42 PM)
That's been a question for me as well. If he was originally a 3B, a la Andy Wilkins, you'd think he would be a good candidate to do well at 1B. But that is only a guess.

Balta was at a couple BHAM games this year, maybe he can comment?

He didn't do anything obviously wrong but as I'm sure you can guess it's hard to judge things like "range of a 1b" in a couple games since there are very few balls that go his way. Nothing got past him on throws to first, but I don't believe I saw anything in the dirt or anything too difficult those days.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jun 25, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)

on the video that I saw, I only saw him at ss. what I saw, I really like defensively. maybe the other posters

who are really more knowledgeable can answ that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
You saw a video of him at shortstop?

yeah it was milb about a month ago which I believe lead to some other links, I can't remember if

those links were on youtube or not.

that the best I can do. sorry.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 26, 2014 -> 07:56 AM)
yeah it was milb about a month ago which I believe lead to some other links, I can't remember if

those links were on youtube or not.

that the best I can do. sorry.

You saw Rangel Ravelo, the first baseman who couldn't stick at third, play shortstop?