Dunn's Future

Dunt

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:05 PM)
What does Sabremetrics tell you that you can't find from the stats on the back of baseball cards.

Well unless they've started putting microchips on the backs of baseball cards since I collected them, I'd say a lot.

Advanced metrics includes getting a lot more raw data, but more so is about different lenses to see the data. From the perspective of a statistician (not baseball, but in general), this stuff isn't even very complex. It is elementary analysis techniques. Filter out pollution and noise to give a more meaningful answer to a question. This isn't wizardry.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)
Well unless they've started putting microchips on the backs of baseball cards since I collected them, I'd say a lot.

Advanced metrics includes getting a lot more raw data, but more so is about different lenses to see the data. From the perspective of a statistician (not baseball, but in general), this stuff isn't even very complex. It is elementary analysis techniques. Filter out pollution and noise to give a more meaningful answer to a question. This isn't wizardry.

can I have an example?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:12 PM)

I have no idea what you just said but it sounds scary and gimmicky.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2014 -> 03:19 PM)
Defense. You know, that part of the game not hitting for position players? Or do you think that defense doesn't actually exist, or is simply hot air?

Rafael Palmeiro's 1999 season was one of the greatest defensive seasons in history by a 1b according to my baseball card.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:19 PM)
Defense. You know, that part of the game not hitting for position players? Or do you think that defense doesn't actually exist, or is simply hot air?

Defense is a statistic that Sabremetricians made up. Wonderful.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:17 PM)
No example, just a lot of hot air from the Sabermetricians.

Player A - .263 BA, 41 HR, 114 RBI, 96 R, 5 SB, 4 CS

Player B - .276 BA, 28 HR, 66 RBI, 75 R, 5 SB, 0 CS

There are only very minor differences in era here. Please tell me which of these back of the baseball card players you would prefer to have on your team. One of them was a notorious abuser of PEDs while the other was merely suspected.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:26 PM)
Hell of a thread, everyone. There's so much useful conversation in here.

gotta talk about something in the downtime, so we might as well argue the worth of sabermetric stats. It isnt like we just heard Chris Sale is starting tomorrow

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 21, 2014 -> 02:27 PM)
Sabremetricians discovered the walk!

You are correct on this statement, they did not. However, they were the first ones to properly value the walk. Remember when Steve Garvey won the MVP in 1974 with 31 walks but a .312 average, while his teammate Jimmy Wynn hit for a .271 average but walked 108 times?

So, obviously if you are valuing walks properly, you do not believe sabermetrics to be a gimmick. If you are suggesting otherwise, please choose one of the two players I have provided. Here is the post again for your reference.

Player A - .263 BA, 41 HR, 114 RBI, 96 R, 5 SB, 4 CS

Player B - .276 BA, 28 HR, 66 RBI, 75 R, 5 SB, 0 CS

There are only very minor differences in era here. Please tell me which of these back of the baseball card players you would prefer to have on your team. One of them was a notorious abuser of PEDs while the other was merely suspected.