5/21 Games

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2014 -> 05:55 PM)
Hawkins starting to strike out a ton again. 0-8 with 6K this week

45K/142 AB's

Another RBI double. Despite everything, his elevated double and walk totals have kept his OPS in the high 800's.

Mitchell with another K. This is becoming something of a comedy with what starting out as a promising career.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 21, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)
Davidson at .201

Is it bad that I'm excited for that?

It doesn't take much to be excited about a White Sox prospect these days. We would be downright giddy about Joe Borchard if he was doing what he was doing his first go around in AA.

Personally, even though it is too early, I think the guys with the ridiculous k rates, namely Hawkins and Davidson, aren't going to amount to much.but they still are 2 of our better hopes.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jake @ May 21, 2014 -> 10:29 PM)
It was only a matter of time before Davidson got back to normal. As is not too unusual, a guy who didn't deserve to get sent down took it hard when it happened

People keep saying this, but I'd argue that switching organizations and leaving behind everyone he knew is more likley to have impacted his game.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 21, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
People keep saying this, but I'd argue that switching organizations and leaving behind everyone he knew is more likley to have impacted his game.

Everyone is individual.

It certainly didn't impact Quentin in 2008, or Eaton coming out of the gate this season with the Sox.

Gillaspie has proven he belongs at the big league level too...it's not like Brandon McCarthy "deserved" to be the odd man out in 2006, but that's also what happened.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 21, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Everyone is individual.

It certainly didn't impact Quentin in 2008, or Eaton coming out of the gate this season with the Sox.

Gillaspie has proven he belongs at the big league level too...it's not like Brandon McCarthy "deserved" to be the odd man out in 2006, but that's also what happened.

Conor's emergence is creating a nice little dilemma. Sell high on Conor? Package Davidson for a piece? Somehow keep both?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 21, 2014 -> 11:39 PM)
Conor's emergence is creating a nice little dilemma. Sell high on Conor? Package Davidson for a piece? Somehow keep both?

Davidson could be a DH for 2015, if he puts it together offensively. His 3B defense, while improved, has never been called anything better than average at best.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
Davidson could be a DH for 2015, if he puts it together offensively. His 3B defense, while improved, has never been called anything better than average at best.

Conor isn't exactly a wizard out there either, but it's probably better than Davidson. With Viciedo's terrible OF defense, I would imagine one of Viciedo/Davidson/Gillaspie would have to go for next year.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:55 AM)
Conor isn't exactly a wizard out there either, but it's probably better than Davidson. With Viciedo's terrible OF defense, I would imagine one of Viciedo/Davidson/Gillaspie would have to go for next year.

Again I stress, Viciedo isn't going to be great in the OF, but if you put him in RF and give him time to adapt to the position I still think he can be adequate. He had to switch positions again a month ago. So far in the Sox org his path has been 3b-1b-3b-1b-RF-LF-LF-RF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:00 PM)
Again I stress, Viciedo isn't going to be great in the OF, but if you put him in RF and give him time to adapt to the position I still think he can be adequate. He had to switch positions again a month ago. So far in the Sox org his path has been 3b-1b-3b-1b-RF-LF-LF-RF.

Viciedo hasn't played anything but OF since 2011. You can make a big deal out of 3B vs OF. RF vs LF isn't that big of a difference. That excuse is dated now, especially when you see someone like Gordon make the transition flawlessly from 3B to OF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
Viciedo hasn't played anything but OF since 2011. You can make a big deal out of 3B vs OF. RF vs LF isn't that big of a difference. That excuse is dated now, especially when you see someone like Gordon make the transition flawlessly from 3B to OF.

When one of his issues is "how good of a read does he get on a fly ball off the bat" I'd say it's a bigger issue than you let on.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
When one of his issues is "how good of a read does he get on a fly ball off the bat" I'd say it's a bigger issue than you let on.

After three years of playing the OF, he should be getting it. Having played OF a lot in my life, the only difference is the angle of the slice.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
There will be an opening at DH next season. I can see them try to put Viciedo there.

I can see it, I still think it's the wrong move unless there's an ideal option as a LH hitting outfielder available.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ May 22, 2014 -> 01:28 PM)
There will be an opening at DH next season. I can see them try to put Viciedo there.

If Dunn stays on this track, I wouldn't be surprised to see him brought back on a much smaller 1yr + option type of deal.

Changing from CF to LF hasn't really helped DeAza's defense either, he actually seems to be worse in left than he was in CF last year, if that's possible.

No matter where you put him, he can't read the ball off the bat and tends to start off going in the wrong direction and usually struggles to recover from that point onward.

Viciedo played well in LF for most of 2012. He's shown that he's capable of doing it, at least.

Is there even the smallest chance the Sox decide to resign Beckham if he keeps it up and decide to have Micah spend the offseason getting adjusted to the outfield and put him in LF, with Viciedo at DH? That would insert a much needed LH bat into the lineup. But, between Johnson, Eaton, and Garcia that's not a very powerful outfield.

FWIW, I don't see this happening. More curious to see other peoples opinion as to if this would even be thought about by the higher ups in the organization.