Gillaspie/Davidson Future

IlliniKrush

So basically either deal Gillaspie for prospects and roll with Davidson long term and hope that he is the real deal, deal Davidson while he is still a prospect for another area of need (another top prospect arm? I don't really know) and stick with Gillaspie who is also a better fit right now (left-handed bat), or keep both and use Abreu, Davidson, Gillaspie between 1B, 3B, DH next year and going forward.

This is really hard. I love Connor, but I think Davidson could be an absolute stud. The keep both of them scenario is interesting but i don't know if I could trust a Viciedo Eaton Garcia OF unless Viciedo and Garcia get better out there. I guess its a good problem to have, but in the end, i would love to keep both.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:36 AM)
I like the way Conor handles the bat. I don't think very highly of Davidson.

Yeah out of all the players that we have gotten since July (Abreu, Garcia, Eaton, Davidson), I felt that Davidson is the one who is going to be a bust. Obviously way too early to tell. Hope he can prove me wrong!

Why don't we wait until Davidson forces our hand. I don't see the point of making room when he is striking out 35% of the time. People are so excited right now to get rid of any good pieces before we have good pieces to replace them. I thought we wanted to compete next year or the year after, not 2020.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:34 AM)
Well let's see, one is a Major League player who keeps improving and the other is a minor league player who has just gotten worse.

It's not even been 2 months. The last 10 days he's hitting 316 with 2 HRs and 5 RBIs but has 11 K's

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:40 AM)
Why don't we wait until Davidson forces our hand. I don't see the point of making room when he is striking out 35% of the time. People are so excited right now to get rid of any good pieces before we have good pieces to replace them. I thought we wanted to compete next year or the year after, not 2020.

This exactly. Unless we get a stupid offer for Gillaspie, he is the starting 3B until Davidson proves otherwise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 22, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
This exactly. Unless we get a stupid offer for Gillaspie, he is the starting 3B until Davidson proves otherwise.

Yep, the ideal situation is Gillaspie continues to hit well this year and Davidson puts up good numbers in AAA. From there, it gives you probably the 2nd best trade chip after Alexei. I don't think you go into next year with both in your organization though. For me, I think Gillaspie is a much better fit, due to his left-handed bat and his ability to make contact. To me, Davidson seems like he'd really struggle to make contact against the tough righties in the division.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)
Gillaspie has played 28 out of 48 games, and hasn't homered yet from a power position.

They got time to figure this out.

He's hitting .340something. Home runs don't matter if you're getting on base like that, whether you're a 3B or a CF.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)

This. We don't need to give up on anyone right now. As it is, Davidson's best case scenario is a September callup if he's earned it. We can figure out what do do with Connor over the offseason at the earliest.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:58 AM)
With our infield surplus, I'll be shocked if we don't trade at least one for pitching this year. I think the trade candidates include Ramirez, Beckham, Dunn, Semien, and Davidson.

No one is untradable, but even discussing trading Semien or Davidson right now is crazy talk.

Why would Semien be untouchable? His best position is 2nd base, and I would argue that Micah Johnson is a superior prospect to him. I don't think the Sox view Semien as a future SS, and he would be third on the depth chart behind Gillaspie and Davidson.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 22, 2014 -> 10:08 AM)
Thanks. They're pretty close, but if the Marlins made Stanton available, I wouldn't be like "NO, I WILL NOT DEAL MARCUS SEMIEN OR MATT DAVIDSON AS THE LAST PIECE OF THE TRADE BECAUSE THEY'RE TOO AWESOME."

I know lol

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)
Why would Semien be untouchable? His best position is 2nd base, and I would argue that Micah Johnson is a superior prospect to him. I don't think the Sox view Semien as a future SS, and he would be third on the depth chart behind Gillaspie and Davidson.

There's no reason to trade any sort of young talent at this point, and there are still questions surrounding Johnson's glove at 2B. He will probably stick, but who knows?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
I know lol

I hate you for making me think you were all serious and stuff.

I wouldn't be unwilling to part with Semien, but I doubt there is a good trade match out there. The teams most likely to want Semien are rebuilding teams looking to dump an expiring contract, which is certainly not what the Sox are interested in. If there is a team out there with an excess of starting pitching prospects and a serious shortage of middle infield prospects, that's the only thing that would make sense.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 22, 2014 -> 11:12 AM)

In what world is Johnson a better prospect the Semien? That's crazy talk.

Mets are looking for a young shortstop. I think they will end up with Gregorious from AZ but what about if they match up in a deal with the Sox for Semien? If Semien could play about average short stop but could hit above average for a shortstop, you think the two could possibly match up? That's the thing that kind of sucks though about Semien being here every day. You could put him in AAA and let him play short and see what kind of short stop he is.