Off-the-radar trade candidates?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 22, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I think you're drastically overestimating the value of his time.

Oh wow this is interesting.

The Ultimate Champion ™: 1,600 posts (2.38 per day)

Hickory Huskers: 5,868 posts (5.37 per day)

It's shouldn't be surprising that Hickory Huskers has to more than double his daily post count in order to keep up with The Ultimate Champion ™, reason being that on average the quality of Hickory Huskers posts are roughly 50% lower.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 04:11 PM)
C'mon, you honestly don't think Don Cooper had any opinion about Gio TWICE? Wasn't familiar with him at all? That KW just went all rogue twice and traded him without any commentary from the best pitching coach in baseball?

The point is that we also have to hold someone accountable for misjudging talent, if we're going to give Cooper all the credit for choosing to protect Quintana over Santiago (and trading Santiago wasn't even an option, in all likelihood), then who do we blame for Mark Teahen or Nick Swisher? Picking Anderson over Brian Young? Mitchell over Trout, etc.? Davidson looking like he's a bust so far?

Ozzie Guillen? Buddy Bell?

Why wasn't Cooper able to see that Danks/Floyd would break down and that Buehrle would be a 8-1 and 2ish ERA in 2014?

If we want to ascribe all these magical powers to Cooper for the Santiago trade, then shouldn't he also get the blame for Danks/Floyd never taking the next step after 2008 and then breaking down? With the Sox cutting ties to Mark Buehrle when they would have been better off giving Mark $17.5 million per season than Danks $13.5 million?

Is Cooper also responsible for Paulino being atrocious, and Erik Johnson regressing?

Shouldn't Cooper have been able to see that Zach Stewart and Nestor Molina wouldn't ever amount to anything?

We can't just selectively credit Cooper.

You're assuming a lot of things. But we all kind of have to assume things. Kenny did shop Hudson pretty hard, tried to send him to MIL in a Prince deal, he was talked about in the Adrian Gonzalez & Peavy discussions with SD, he went to the DBacks but only after the Nationals wouldn't take him, etc. Now you can say that's just Kenny trying to win (I think that's the case) but it wouldn't be surprising if Coop did point something out beforehand. I don't know if there's been any actual info on that though, I haven't seen anything but speculation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2014 -> 03:36 PM)
Why on God's green earth do you keep pretending that the pitching coach would have major inputs on position players?

We can certainly "selectively credit/blame" cooper when it comes to the pitching staff.

Obviously I was being facetious.

Still, I'm sure if our first round draft pick becomes a Cy Young winner, Cooper will be given more/most of the credit for selecting him, especially if the other two blow up injury-wise or don't make a huge big league impact.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:16 PM)
Obviously I was being facetious.

Still, I'm sure if our first round draft pick becomes a Cy Young winner, Cooper will be given more/most of the credit for selecting him, especially if the other two blow up injury-wise or don't make a huge big league impact.

When you have a consistent history of grabbing other people's trash and turning them into good pitchers for periods of time, you are going to be a well respected pitching coach.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2014 -> 12:39 AM)
When you have a consistent history of grabbing other people's trash and turning them into good pitchers for periods of time, you are going to be a well respected pitching coach.

if I remember correctly, there is another young pitching coach who is also doing great work with

reclamation pitcher as well. does anyone remember what team that may have been?