Adam Dunn: The next Magic Johnson?

LittleHurt05

Probably one of the best profit margins for a movie since The Passion of the Christ for Mel Gibson and The Blair Witch Project for that screenwriting trio whose names I still can't remember for the life of me.

Of course, from the thread title, you think he's buying a sports franchise (probably minor league baseball) or set of movie theater chains in Texas or producing a country music album, but no.

Didn't realize Magic Johnson was part of the Dayton (MWL) ownership group, fwiw.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 23, 2014 -> 08:20 AM)
100 YEARS, $1 TRILLION DOLLARS AND THE ASTEROID BELT

Or Leury Garcia's brother, that works too.

Seriously though, it's the perfect fit. Texas would need to wait X amount until the draft is done then pay X in cash for Morales (and probably have a small bidding war vs. 1-2 other teams) and still, whoever gets Morales is probably going to have to send him to extended and then some MiLB assignment for a while. Dunn OTOH costs a whole lot less than the draft pick is worth & the Sox can just eat the whole thing for a better prospect.

You guys were right, I admit it. I'm still not happy we had to f*** over our OFers to put this guy on the roster but when Avi went down Dunn actually became useful. Maybe we'll get something out of this guy now.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 23, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
Or Leury Garcia's brother, that works too.

Seriously though, it's the perfect fit. Texas would need to wait X amount until the draft is done then pay X in cash for Morales (and probably have a small bidding war vs. 1-2 other teams) and still, whoever gets Morales is probably going to have to send him to extended and then some MiLB assignment for a while. Dunn OTOH costs a whole lot less than the draft pick is worth & the Sox can just eat the whole thing for a better prospect.

You guys were right, I admit it. I'm still not happy we had to f*** over our OFers to put this guy on the roster but when Avi went down Dunn actually became useful. Maybe we'll get something out of this guy now.

Do they have the nuts to do it to the fanbase this early in the season though? I mean, the team is .500 and it isn't even June. Tough pill to swallow for ticket sales.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 23, 2014 -> 09:40 AM)
Do they have the nuts to do it to the fanbase this early in the season though? I mean, the team is .500 and it isn't even June. Tough pill to swallow for ticket sales.

If they got an offer that actually included not picking up much remaining money and talent coming back, I can't imagine they'd hesitate.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 23, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)

Most of the "fan base" would LOVE the idea of Konerko replacing Dunn for the remainder of the season. Doesn't mean it makes sense performance-wise, but that is the perception.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 23, 2014 -> 09:14 AM)
Most of the "fan base" would LOVE the idea of Konerko replacing Dunn for the remainder of the season. Doesn't mean it makes sense performance-wise, but that is the perception.

There's also the really nice idea of Viciedo adjusting to a full-time DH role. PK can play more, Tank can see the OF less. It's always been clear that Viciedo's bat was going to make or break his Sox future, but now it's also I think become pretty clear that it'll have to be as a DH. I think we've hit a point where you can't look at the arm as an excuse for keeping him out there anymore.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
If they got an offer that actually included not picking up much remaining money and talent coming back, I can't imagine they'd hesitate.

And I am sure Adam would be accepting on his moving on and be complimentary of the Sox. Too bad it took him so long to finally make adjustments here in a Sox uniform

"It happens all the time," said Dunn, 34. "I don't mean to be rude or have this come off bad, but there's a lot of guys that baseball is all they can do. That's it. That's all they've done from age 4 to now. It's tough. When you've done something your whole life and all of a sudden you're not doing it, what do you do?"

You keep playing a few more seasons for the White Sox? :huh

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 23, 2014 -> 04:18 PM)
I honestly thought this was going to be some parody article about just that when I first saw the headline.

Me too, which goes to show that no matter how successful magic will be, he was always stand out more as 'that guy with aids' than 'successful businessman' in the ill mind of the public.