5/25 Games

flavum

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 26, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Same thing was posted a year or two ago. Fact is, they are approx 44 games under .500 collectively, and it's tough to get excited. From here, it does not look like a farm system on the rise. Just trying to be objective. The draft will help, but it will help others also.

with all due respect, you, we, everyone is looking at the glass at 1/2 empty. last yr, a lot of fans were excited,

b/c we had some great talent. that talent move up, now we have system a little bare. the younger talent will eventually

move up. but the problem is, we are going to be in this circle until we can get the major team stabilized. Hahn,

I believed see this as well.

Question, how can we get a minor league team 1/2 way filled with talented???? through trades. some hard trades of

favorite players for prospects. we also need, without a doubt to venture into the FA market for quick fixes,

esp a #2,3,4 type of pitchers.

QUOTE (LDF @ May 26, 2014 -> 06:12 AM)
this brings an interesting question, some of the young players playing in the majors now, with the sox, were they

rushed???

Who besides Beckham and Semien can that argument be made about today? Webb? Petricka?

Erik Johnson?

Probably not Santiago.

They were very patient with Viciedo...of course, with the caveat they changed his position 5-6 different times.

QUOTE (oldsox @ May 26, 2014 -> 07:21 AM)
Same thing was posted a year or two ago. Fact is, they are approx 44 games under .500 collectively, and it's tough to get excited. From here, it does not look like a farm system on the rise. Just trying to be objective. The draft will help, but it will help others also.

The same thing was posted. Yet, how many players did that system graduate to the majors?

There is some real silly in this thread.

1. People want to move Tim Anderson off shortstop right now? You can't be serious. He's been in pro ball less than a year and he was KNOWN coming to be UNUSUALLY raw. Not just JuCo raw mind you, but, didn't focus on baseball until has last year in college. He's all tools and very little skills. The idea of abandoning ship on him now is just ridiculous.

2. While W-L numbers for minor league affiliates may perhaps give some indications on the very ends - and the Sox system is at the bad end now - even that is very, very limited in value. You don't even have the rookie affiliates playing yet, or DSL, or guys injured, or more than 1.5 months of play. Not to mention every org has some clubs loaded up with career minor leaguers. Don't read into this.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2014 -> 07:53 AM)
There is some real silly in this thread.

1. People want to move Tim Anderson off shortstop right now? You can't be serious. He's been in pro ball less than a year and he was KNOWN coming to be UNUSUALLY raw. Not just JuCo raw mind you, but, didn't focus on baseball until has last year in college. He's all tools and very little skills. The idea of abandoning ship on him now is just ridiculous.

2. While W-L numbers for minor league affiliates may perhaps give some indications on the very ends - and the Sox system is at the bad end now - even that is very, very limited in value. You don't even have the rookie affiliates playing yet, or DSL, or guys injured, or more than 1.5 months of play. Not to mention every org has some clubs loaded up with career minor leaguers. Don't read into this.

How much do you want to bet they don't/won't allow him to get over 50 errors at SS?

When was the last time the White Sox did that with any prospect in the minors?

Viciedo was equally raw and how much time did it take before they moved him off 3B?

As long as they believe the defensive side won't have a negative impact on his offensive game...they'll be patient, but only to a point.

Anderson's biggest potential value comes with his speed and bat...on the offensive side, just like Hawkins.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
How much do you want to bet they don't/won't allow him to get over 50 errors at SS?

Viciedo was equally raw and how much time did it take before they moved him off 3B?

As long as they believe the defensive side won't have a negative impact on his offensive game...they'll be patient, but only to a point.

Anderson's biggest potential value comes with his speed and bat...on the offensive side, just like Hawkins.

Viciedo played 140 games at 3B in the minors, and I don't believe they moved him off because of errors (though he did make 30 as a 20 year old) but instead because he lacked the range and instincts they wanted to see out of him at 3B.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)

They will not care about some round number resistance for errors. You've got a different group of people leading things down there anyway, and remember they are letting Micah Johnson (who is not nearly as raw) stay at 2B. And finally, no, Viciedo was not qually raw, he'd been playing for a lot longer even at that age.

Obviously yes, at SOME point, you can't keep running him out there if he's terrible. But the idea that we are at that point today is silly.

Right now, he's on a pace for SEVENTY errors.

That's ridiculous.

I don't care if it's the worst manicured infield in the Carolina League with the most inept home scorekeeper.

And wasn't Viciedo basically benched/kicked off the national team one of those years in Cuba...at 17 or 18? It's not like he had a tremendous amount of experience before age 18-19 playing 3B.

And I quote, 'He was an outfielder before,' manager Ozzie Guillen said. 'This kid was in right field in Cuba and he never played third base; he told me that. He told (bench coach) Joey (Cora) that last year."

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2014 -> 10:25 AM)
Right now, he's on a pace for SEVENTY errors.

That's ridiculous.

I don't care if it's the worst manicured infield in the Carolina League with the most inept home scorekeeper.

And wasn't Viciedo basically benched/kicked off the national team one of those years in Cuba...at 17 or 18? It's not like he had a tremendous amount of experience before age 18-19 playing 3B.

And I quote, 'He was an outfielder before,' manager Ozzie Guillen said. 'This kid was in right field in Cuba and he never played third base; he told me that. He told (bench coach) Joey (Cora) that last year."

Again, we're 1.5 months into the season, and we're talking about a guy very raw to baseball in a way Viciedo was not. The raw number of errors isn't an issue at this point, other than to point out what everyone already knows - that he needs a lot of reps out there. His tools for the position are very good. I stand by what I said - moving him now isn't smart.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)

Do you really believe any of this, caulfield?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2014 -> 10:12 AM)
The same thing was posted. Yet, how many players did that system graduate to the majors?

Semien, but he was replaced with a higher rated prospect in Davidson. The other two prospects that graduated from the lists are back in AAA.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 27, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
Do you really believe any of this, caulfield?

I'm perfectly willing to revisit this in August.

Maybe the errors don't mean anything and the White Sox are 100% committed to making Anderson the starting SS after Ramirez, and aren't 100% believers in Semien's ability there.

To make ANY kind of determination, I'd have to go back and watch video on all those 20+ errors to see what's going on.

For that to happen, though, he's going to have to be 750+ OPS bat in the minors, at a minimum.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 27, 2014 -> 05:43 PM)
I'm perfectly willing to revisit this in August.

Maybe the errors don't mean anything and the White Sox are 100% committed to making Anderson the starting SS after Ramirez, and aren't 100% believers in Semien's ability there.

To make ANY kind of determination, I'd have to go back and watch video on all those 20+ errors to see what's going on.

For that to happen, though, he's going to have to be 750+ OPS bat in the minors, at a minimum.

Anderson also gets to more balls than most guys do.