De Aza/Danks/Garcia

southsider2k5

At what point to you look at making the change away from De Aza? If Alejandro is going to hit .200, I'd rather have Jordan Danks up here, because the guy is a way better OF and baserunner. If he ADA isn't going to generate runs, I'd rather have a guy out there who will save some. I'd even be interested to see Garcia run out there for a few days a week to see how he could handle catching the ball in LF, and getting him on the bases once in a while.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ May 26, 2014 -> 06:52 PM)
If I'm going to take away time from ADA, I'm giving it to Sierra. He's earned it.

Sierra and De Aza are the same player in a lot of ways. I know Sierra has the incredible arm, but he is dumber than a box of rocks.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
At what point to you look at making the change away from De Aza? If Alejandro is going to hit .200, I'd rather have Jordan Danks up here, because the guy is a way better OF and baserunner. If he ADA isn't going to generate runs, I'd rather have a guy out there who will save some. I'd even be interested to see Garcia run out there for a few days a week to see how he could handle catching the ball in LF, and getting him on the bases once in a while.

I agree. Give me the solid defense. I also think that now is a good time to see what Danks can do with consistent playing time, he can't be any worse.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 26, 2014 -> 07:30 PM)
I'm a JorDanks fan, but let me remind you how badly he performed in his Major League time this year.

He's hitting .167 at Charlotte.

As much as I think Danks will be a good 4th outfielder in the future, I think it's better to stand pat with De Aza for another month. If he's still hitting around .200 on July 1st, then maybe bounce him. But Sierra should take more ABs from him.

Play DeAza for another 30 days, letting Sierra get his at-bats against lefties.

If Alejandro's not hitting at least .225, then there's a decision to make...however, simply to DFA him won't solve their outfield issues like waving a magic wand.

If they really want to get creative, they can put Davidson or Micah Johnson in LF, but that's not a recommended approach at this point in their development.

Sierra is the only clear replacement and he does a lot of the same things ADA does while improving upon some of ADA's weakness like D and arm.

With that said, ADA has similar walk rate, K rate, LD rate, GB rate, FB rate, and HR/FB this year compared to his past. That suggests some horrendous luck. The only change of significance is that he is popping up a lot more often, but that doesn't explain .60-.100 loss of batting average

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2014 -> 07:19 PM)
I say option D, which is acquiring another corner outfielder. Doesn't have to even be someone that currently starts. All I know is that Garcia and Danks aren't logical replacements.

The problem is that we don't have replacements (right now) for Ramirez, Beckham, Gillaspie, Viciedo, Belisario, Putnam, etc.

I sincerely doubt Hahn will trade any core pieces until at least the beginning of July...and he'll probably wait it out until the deadline. With attendance, we're not going to have a lot of leeway to take on a significant amount of additional payroll, but we might be able to identify another starting pitcher at that time who makes sense for the long and short-term.

Agreed that L.Garcia and Danks aren't logical pieces of the OF future, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ May 26, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
I say option D, which is acquiring another corner outfielder. Doesn't have to even be someone that currently starts. All I know is that Garcia and Danks aren't logical replacements.

I heard Jeff Keppinger has 5 career games played in the outfield. :ph34r:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2014 -> 11:58 PM)
Sierra and De Aza are the same player in a lot of ways. I know Sierra has the incredible arm, but he is dumber than a box of rocks.

After that throw today, he deserves a shot at least. DeAza is bringing nothing but out after out at the plate.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 27, 2014 -> 02:09 AM)
What the heck happened to De Aza? I was sure we had a solid cheap leadoff hitter for a couple years. Now he's awful at everything

I remember when it seemed like he was going 2-for-5 regularly. He'd have a lot of multiple hit games. My gosh he is such a bad player now, though I think he got an RBI single today somehow.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ May 26, 2014 -> 07:42 PM)
He hit .098 in 48 PAs, so De Aza was (statistically) much better.

I agree that Danks is not exactly setting the world on fire offensively, but its not all about offense. There's defense of course, how many runs would Danks save over DeAza in the outfield.

I think more importantly however, is what kind of example is DeAza setting for the younger players? Can you keep screwing up like he does and still start everyday? I have no idea if DeAza is well liked in the clubhouse or not, but at some point this has to get the other players thinking that messing up consistently has little or no consequences.

2 years ago I was as big a DeAza fan as anybody, but wow, has he gotten bad. It may be wise to give him a few more weeks yet and hope that he can get hot, but DeAza is so depressing to watch.

I'm not too worried about De Aza.

He's had the same start to the season as Dunn / Flowers / Cubans had last year.

I reckon he's trying to avoid being traded now to Minnesota, hence the slump, and will heat up June / July to get traded to a contender at the deadline.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 27, 2014 -> 09:23 AM)
Today, I'm still more confident that De Aza will hit than Danks when they're at the plate.

When Jordan Danks produces back to back 2 WAR seasons in MLB get back to me.

There is a reason they are giving De Aza a long rope -- he's been pretty damn good as a Sox. Yea he's sucking ass this year but it's not like they have some stud in AAA he's blocking.

• 2 weeks later...