De Aza/Danks/Garcia

southsider2k5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)
Send DeAza down or release him and give Danks his final shot.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 01:24 AM)
Yeah, I am thinking Danks has more upside then De Aza..

The grass is always greener. Jordan Danks may be a better base runner and defender, but he does not have the upside De Aza does. I know Sox fans are tired of De Aza and his struggles this year have made it difficult, but he is a guy that can put up a .270/.330/.400 line pretty easily. He is a 2 WAR player, an average MLB starter, with the upside of about a 3 WAR player. Jordan Danks might be a below average starter in the MLB. He has 4th outfielder written all over him.

(normally, in a situation like this, I'd write the phrase "4th outfielder" all over a picture of Jordan Danks, but I digress)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:56 AM)
Jordan Danks is almost 28 years old and struggles in AAA. Let's be realistic.

With De Aza hitting Danks-esque in the majors, the one thing that can be said is that Danks will at least catch the ball, and not make stupid mistakes on the bases.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
With De Aza hitting Danks-esque in the majors, the one thing that can be said is that Danks will at least catch the ball, and not make stupid mistakes on the bases.

De Aza has been hitting better lately and history suggests he should continue to hit better.

As far as stupid mistakes on the bases, Jordan Danks has been known to make a few. I agree defensively.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)

Maybe the first part. Neither one of them can hit.

Danks really should be the 4th OF on this team. The problem is that the weakest spot in the OF right now is De Aza, who also bats left-handed. That's the only reason Sierra has the 4th OF spot over Danks. In, the AL, you really don't need your 4th OF to hit much. You need him mostly for pinch-running and as a defensive replacement, and Danks is great at both those things. I have no problem with Danks at AAA right now, but next year he's out of options and I'd hate to lose a guy who has late inning value just because other people on the team suck.

I do think De Aza will end up with an OPS close to .700 by the end of the season. He's always been pretty streaky.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
De Aza has been hitting better lately and history suggests he should continue to hit better.

As far as stupid mistakes on the bases, Jordan Danks has been known to make a few. I agree defensively.

Danks has been hitting better lately as well. 6 HR over the last 7 days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
I think De Aza is a better offensive player than Jordan Danks. Just my opinion.

I agree. He's played like crap, but he's shown he can be a ~100 wRC+ guy in the majors, which is a league average hitter. He's a better bet to hit going forward, so I say you keep him, play him, and then trade him if he improves, non-tender him if he doesn't.

Guess it depends on how much they value keeping Sierra...

I could see it if Hahn really believed that releasing DeAza and playing Jordan Danks everyday would keep them in the Wild Card/division race, but that's pretty far-fetched to fathom for any Sox fans who have watched Danks for seemingly a decade.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
It would be great if the mascot didn't require a roster spot so we could rotate our 3 s***ty outfielders in and out while also being able to plug Danks and his nice D to save us from those first 3 ' s terrible defense

Are you including Eaton in that list or I'm assuming you mean Sierra when he starts...? Sierra has actually been a lot better recently than he showed his first 7-10 days with the White Sox. Of course, he's not playing as much now, so it's a bit harder to see. He does have a high-quality arm, although his instincts aren't exactly Clemente-esque in RF.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
It would be great if the mascot didn't require a roster spot so we could rotate our 3 s***ty outfielders in and out while also being able to plug Danks and his nice D to save us from those first 3 ' s terrible defense

Yes, the mascot.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 11:08 AM)
Were there any reports on how Semien looked in LF?? If he can be serviceable out there and his bat ever plays out in the bigs that could be huge, esp. if the Sox don't plan on trading Lexi/Beckham/Gillaspie.

A guy with his bat needs to be more than "serviceable" to hold down LF, IMO. I'm all for throwing positional role stereotypes out the window, but if you're going to be a slightly below league average bat, you need to bring the defensive chops big time if you're playing a position that just about everyone can at least fake.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)

I'm confused...So do you want 5 OFers on the big club or something?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
I'm confused...So do you want 5 OFers on the big club or something?

Yes. Something wrong with that?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
Are you including Eaton in that list or I'm assuming you mean Sierra when he starts...? Sierra has actually been a lot better recently than he showed his first 7-10 days with the White Sox. Of course, he's not playing as much now, so it's a bit harder to see. He does have a high-quality arm, although his instincts aren't exactly Clemente-esque in RF.

Sierra is fine offensively but his reads are on Viciedo's level. It's hilarious we have to use him as a defensive replacement.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Sierra is fine offensively but Konerko is a mascot?

Sierras average is higher than Konerkos OBP with us.

Not that he's any good, he's terrible. But at least there some sort of semblance of a spot for him. If you want Danks to take his spot that's fine too.