Alexei 2nd, Abreu running 3rd in AS balloting

southsider2k5

You know what, boo hoo, so what that 20-year HOF veteran Derek Jeter is going to play 2 innings in his final all star game. Is it annoying the elevated status he has maintained from playing in the country's largest media environment? yes, it was. So were his gold gloves, but this one? Can't get mad.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 27, 2014 -> 01:43 PM)
You know what, boo hoo, so what that 20-year HOF veteran Derek Jeter is going to play 2 innings in his final all star game. Is it annoying the elevated status he has maintained from playing in the country's largest media environment? yes, it was. So were his gold gloves, but this one? Can't get mad.

i have no problem with him playing in the game, but it sucks that someone that should be going is going to get snubbed. but hey, ny fans are voting and good for them. which is another issue, it matters yet why do fans get to vote? but whatever lol as long as alexei , sale and abreu go, thats their problem lol

I'm honestly very impressed by the results...the fact that fans are recognizing Alexei's season -- the year it is happening no less -- shows that fans are actually coming into the voting fairly educated. I can remember many years previous where if you weren't already a household name, and you did have an outstanding season, you'd more likely be recognized for it in the next season's all-star game than in the year in which your outstanding season occurred.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
I dont want Abreu anywhere near the ASG including the HR derby. Stay home big man.

It would be quite a show though. I saw Abreu hit two balls out of the stadium at Minute Maid (like the Pujols homer off Lidge in 05) during BP.

Of all years I can accept Jeter as the ASG SS, this is it. I have never had a problem with the recognition of the career of a player being a part of the ASG. Cal Ripken's last ASG is a truly great baseball moment.

I just wish they would figure out a better way to award home field advantage so this game can go back to being the exhibition game it always was, and allow for moments like this. Baseball should celebrate its history and its uniqueness.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 27, 2014 -> 02:18 PM)
It would be quite a show though. I saw Abreu hit two balls out of the stadium at Minute Maid (like the Pujols homer off Lidge in 05) during BP.

That ball destroyed planets

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2014 -> 08:20 PM)
I just wish they would figure out a better way to award home field advantage so this game can go back to being the exhibition game it always was, and allow for moments like this. Baseball should celebrate its history and its uniqueness.

I kind of laughed at this when there are so many obvious options to reward HFA. Hell, even a coin flip at beginning of year is better in my opinion.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
The dagger of all daggers I thought at the time.

Except Houston came back in the next game and won the series, lol.

If anything, it just ruined Brad Lidge.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 27, 2014 -> 03:31 PM)
Sale gets boned last year in the ASG for Rivera (although Sale's comments towards it made me like and respect him that much more).

Alexei will get screwed this year in the ASG for Jeter.

Second city getting shafted.

If Alexei continues to play like he is, he'll still make the game. Who really cares if you start or come in in the later, more meaningful innings?

Alexei will make it as a backup (pending a slump). Sale will likely make it if he keeps pitching well, but his DL time set him back. As for Abreu, it'll be tough with Pujols, Encarnacion, Moss, and Cabrera all doing well... so we need to vote for Abreu! I hate when fans act all disappointed when their favorite player doesn't make the team- but they didn't even vote for him. Vote Abreu!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 27, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
In 2008, Brad Lidge put up an ERA of 1.95, FIP of 2.41, xFIP of 3.01, K/9 of 11.94, and went 41 for 41 in saves as the Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series.

No, it did not end Lidge's career.

In hou it did but s*** I forgot he went to Philly and was great and then pretty good.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2014 -> 04:39 PM)
In hou it did but s*** I forgot he went to Philly and was great and then pretty good.

He tanked in 2006 and then fell out of the closer's role in 2007 but was overall still fairly good. He was damn near perfect in 2008, absolutely terrible in 2009, and then fairly good in 2010 and 2011 before seeing his career finally come apart.