5.27 Games

fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 28, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
"Chris, we want you to work on your fastball control and durability for the first part of the season. We'll let you open things up after Memorial Day".

Maybe?

I would be interested to see his pitch count by pitch type.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:11 AM)
It seems like his slider was the big thing that knocked him down in the draft. He went from being projected as a top 10 pick to falling to the Sox in the second allegedly because his slider was not the out pitch that it was in the Cape Cod League the previous summer. So, has he abandoned that pitch now? To me, it seemed if he could get that pitch back up to an acceptable level he would be really successful but from your account, it seems he is working on a cutter along with his fastball and not working the slider in. If thats true, it makes a lot of sense why his K numbers are so pedestrian.

Based on the velocities I saw him throwing I don't think I saw a single slider in the game he pitched. I could be wrong of course.

Francellis Montas, RHP, Chicago AL (Profile)

One of the prospects acquired by the White Sox in the trade that sent Jake Peavy to Boston last summer, Montas was ranked 29th by Baseball America this offseason within a system that itself was ranked 24th among the league’s 30 organizations in terms of future talent. That typically isn’t the case for prospects, like Montas, who’ve touched 100 mph (while sitting in the mid-90s) during the last calendar year. The problem with Montas, it seems, has been one of command. Command at this point, however, doesn’t seem to be an issue for that giant, young man. The 21-year-old right-hander has recorded a 30:5 strikeout-to-walk ratio over five starts and 30.0 innings with High-A Winston-Salem. Most intelligent things that could be said about him have been said about him by Nathaniel Stolz about three weeks ago.

In the meantime, here’s a breaking ball from his most recent game:

Montas-SL-Miller-SS-K-2nd.gif